Thread: blonde wood

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default blonde wood

On the AKs that have blonde wood, what kind of wood (or woods) is used? I was thinking it would be nifty to have a certain stock normally made out of plastic, except in blonde... but I realized that other than "wood", I don't know what I need to look for.
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have heard that the amd 63 uses elm, I think. I used to have one, I think I let it get away in a trading deal.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Forign guns???? Who knows what to hell they use sometimes ?? I've seen some weird woods used overseas, even there walnut is quite a bit different looking than here in the US. But here it's usually beech or birch, or maple, that's usually used for light colored wood stocks.

You want to build you're own and want it light and want something a bit different,,, how about something like 1/4 sawed oak or bird's eye maple,or curly maple. There a bit of a bitch to work with, but will give you a nice light colored stock with some personality to it. The other light woods used are usually pretty bland grain wise, and don't really add much to a gun's look IMO .

I've done several Birds eye stocks ,burl wood and other exotic woods for grips for handguns and rifle stocks that looked really sweat. Mostly on smoke poles and real nice handguns. But generally only on higher end stuff too, sense some of these woods are quite expensive and quite hard to find in some cases. Wood like birds eye it's a bear to work and to get a good finish on,, but it sure is pretty when you do!!!

Hell if your just looking for light,,,,just find a decent take off and redo it ,if you want it to look factory. Lots less work over all. Ak stocks are pretty straight forward and don't take much to do sense there's no in-letting to do, so even really hard woods will be easy to do on one of those.

Try using it on something like a Kentucky style rifle though !! That birds eye one I built took forever to do, even though I had a mill to "hog out" the most of it,,,, it still took forever. That's one hard ass wood to work with!!! But very pretty,,,

Feedback Score

The lighter euro woods are usually Birch or Beech., the Chinese is Chu wood aka Catalpa. They used Amber Shellac for the finish on Bulgarian, Romanian, and Chinese., oil on Hungarian.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Birch or beech, I can probably find. Thanks Blue!
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

The Yugoslavians used Elm.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    The Yugoslavians used Elm.
    +1.,
    Here is an older post from Mat at Ironwood Design on the subject>

Matt from Ironwood Designs here,
    Thought I would chime in on this discussion.
    True, Mitchell did claim they were Teak, the stocks are not Teak.
    We have used Teak for years to make our Yugo reproduction stocks, simply because it looks virtually identical, when finished with a typical gun stock oil, like Tung, Tru, or Linseed oil.
    I had spoken to Bill at Patomic arms a few years ago about this very same question. He responded and said that the guys at the Zastava factory laughed when they heard that everyone thought that the Yugos came with Teak stocks, a very expensive Southeast Asian hardwood. The actual wood used on most of the M70s was a species of Birch, found in Eastern Europe, ( Yugolavia and regions nearby).
    M90/95s were typically fitted with Beech wood, which we do use for both M70 & M90 stock sets. I'm not sure about Elm, as I have never worked with that material before.
    Here's a pic with some Yugos with our Teak sets installed and finished.
    Can you tell which one is Teak? One of the sets has original Yugo furniture.
    matt@Ironwooddesigns.com

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Here's mine with Hickory wood. Made by Flak38, a member here. Custom AK wood made to order

"To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    Forign guns???? Who knows what to hell they use sometimes ?? I've seen some weird woods used overseas, even there walnut is quite a bit different looking than here in the US. But here it's usually beech or birch, or maple, that's usually used for light colored wood stocks.

You want to build you're own and want it light and want something a bit different,,, how about something like 1/4 sawed oak or bird's eye maple,or curly maple. There a bit of a bitch to work with, but will give you a nice light colored stock with some personality to it. The other light woods used are usually pretty bland grain wise, and don't really add much to a gun's look IMO .

I've done several Birds eye stocks ,burl wood and other exotic woods for grips for handguns and rifle stocks that looked really sweat. Mostly on smoke poles and real nice handguns. But generally only on higher end stuff too, sense some of these woods are quite expensive and quite hard to find in some cases. Wood like birds eye it's a bear to work and to get a good finish on,, but it sure is pretty when you do!!!

Hell if your just looking for light,,,,just find a decent take off and redo it ,if you want it to look factory. Lots less work over all. Ak stocks are pretty straight forward and don't take much to do sense there's no in-letting to do, so even really hard woods will be easy to do on one of those.

Try using it on something like a Kentucky style rifle though !! That birds eye one I built took forever to do, even though I had a mill to "hog out" the most of it,,,, it still took forever. That's one hard ass wood to work with!!! But very pretty,,,
    twa - here is one aloxite, a member here, did for their saiga using curly maple. More pics at their thread 308 Saiga with Curly Maple furniture
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Search tags for this page

cerakote colors

exotic wood ak rifle stocks

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.