Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WTF - Parts Kit Illegal?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default WTF - Parts Kit Illegal?

This story has a TON of interesting stuff in it, but I am focused only on the following:

"What Overstreet actually had in his home was a kit to convert a MAK-90, a semi-automatic rifle similar to an AK-47, into a fully automatic weapon. But the law made no distinction between the kit and a converted gun."

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke%5C25816.html

Umm, Houston, we have a problem... WHAT is a "conversion kit" they are talking about? The only thing I can imagine is a parts kit that had the FA parts. Those BTW are NOT illegal in VA (where I now live) as they are in WA state. I can have a whole box of FA sears in VA. So WHAT are they talking about? I've never heard of anything like that, except those rapid-fire bump fire devices. Hrm.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

If you have the semi-auto rifle, and the full-auto parts, you are considered to have the intent to manufacture a machinegun according to the feds. That is why it is best to shed or remanufacture the auto parts into semi-auto only parts AS SOON AS YOU RECIEVE THEM. This can, and will get you in a mess in a hurry if you are not careful. BATFTB has procedures for remanufacturing the parts if you write to them. See the letters to the ATF over at Weaponeer.net.
    This is a Federal issue and does not have anything to do with State level laws.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yes, but WHAT FA parts? The sear? The 3rd hole receiver section? What part(s)?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

The auto selector, Rate reducer, disconnector, hammer,auto-sear. Basically the auto FCG. It has been that way for a long time. The same issue comes up with AR-15 groups all the time. Best medicine is to rid yourself of the parts ASAP when your kit arrives, or take them to your Class II buddies like I do and trade them for SA parts.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I knew they applied this twisted logic to ARs but this is the 1st I've heard with AKs. I know many smart guys on this board have long advocated getting rid of the FA parts as soon as you recieve a kit and I have been doing so since the advice was 1st given. I know I've heard some say that we were just rolling over and they had no right to do this but I don't want to take the chance.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yeah but what about that FA bolt carrier? Seems that would be a part too? Or should I file that slot down to prevent contact w/ the sear?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Rules are different for a AR compared to a AK.
    They do not make a "DROP IN" sear for a AK like they do the AR.
    You can convert a AR receiver with just a DIAS and full auto parts.
    You CAN NOT make a AK shoot full auto WITHOUT drilling a hole in the receiver for the sear.

Therefore, in the past as long as you didn't drill a hole, you could have full auto parts in your AK without being classified as a Machine gun.

According to ATF regs, you if you own a AR and ANY full auto AR parts then you have a machine gun with NO modifications to the weapon.
    This is why you see the NFA stipulations on all of the M16 parts that are for sale.
    This is why you can't buy a F/A FCG from bushmaster without proof of a tax stamp.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Just to er on the safe side, I would remove the FA trip on the bolt carrier. Some would argue that this is not necessary, but I would rather be safe then sorry.

Feedback Score

Is there somewhere I could get side by side comparison pics of the fa trigger parts and the sa trigger parts? This looks like an important issue that really should should be a sticky or at least posted in the "Home Builders Lobby". Thanks
    Kalashnikov Georgia Builders

MEMBER #016

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Jerry-- if I understood correctly the case never went to court.

He pled to what were possibly trumped up charges, unprovable in court, for a reason we may not know.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.