Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calipers

Feedback Score

Default Calipers

Hy guys,
    I would like to purchase a pair of calipers and i was looking at digital ones. Are they reliable when it comes to gunsmithing? Should i just get an non-digital?
    Any suggestions on brands and places to shop on-line are welcome.
    Thank you in advance.

Feedback Score

Oh, i forgot. I would like them to read both, standard and metric.

Feedback Score

Default Calipers

Hello romaniac,
    Digital calipers can read both inch and metric. Dial calipers generally read one type only as do vernier calipers. Solution: get one of each. Why ??? The dial calipers will provide a true reading. The digital types are quick and dirty or spendy.

I use a Mitutoyo dial caliper for careful inch measuring. I have numerous chinese digital calipers for quick and dirty inch or metric readings (and converting). For more precise measure I use a set of Starrett micrometers and depth mics.

VD in AZ
    Last edited by Viper Dude; 10-23-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score

Viper Dude, thank you!
    Never thought of the one of each version. Guess i will go that route!
    Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The main issue I see with digital is the batteries run down, and the compartment cover always goes missing. The guys at work have discoverd the wonders of the Harbor Freight digital calipers, mainly becuz they have no idea how to read dial calipers. I find them laying around, turned on, almost every day. Several sit without covers, useless. But they are cheap, so they keep buying them. My dial calipers are 20 years old and still working fine, $16 from Midway.

Feedback Score

The kernel is correct about the chicom digital calipers killing batteries. To retain a setting those calipers are powered even when turned off. Solution is to buy a box of those aspirin batteries and keep them cool. I keep mine in the fridge. Also I plan to experiment recharging them from a AAA 1.5 volt cell. My aspirin batteries are 1.5 volt by the way.

VD in AZ

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I buy the 357 asprin batteries for those at one of those battery warehouse type places, there are blister packed bulk on a large sheet of cardboard and that tear them off of. I get them for like $1.25 each, they are like 4 x that much at the drug store. I also keep a lot of them around because those HF calipers really go through them quickly. But they do work and are reasonably accurate
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

Feedback Score

You get what you pay for. I suggest you get a Mitutoyo, It is more expensive, but is a fine piece of gear, and you'll thank me each time it keeps its zero reference while others lose their reference and show some random length. Also, it is Japanese; if you can't get American, Japanese is much better quality than the $9.95 ones.
    Last edited by Will Wayde; 10-27-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: additional info, correct grammar

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

With those HF ones, you need to take out the battery everyday your done using it, I've done this and the batteries seem to last forever (a few months at least) compared to just leaving them in and they are dead in a couple days.

But I have to agree, buy a half decent / good one. If you want a beater to just do rough measurements or even scribing lines, then get the HF ones for doing these types of jobs, and you won't be upset if you damage them.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Guilty. I bought the cheap HF model on sale for $9.99 after I got my first AK kit back in 07. Still worked last time I needed one, after replacing the battery.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.