Thread: 9mm AK!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default 9mm AK!

I know people are working on different incarnations of this but I figured I spur someone on with some pictures. I REALLY like the look of these factory 9mm and would love to duplicate one. Im wondering if the pistol grip and associates housing could be fabricated out of wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visit http://www.WeaponsWorld.comfor the current ammunition sale prices!

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I would never just use wood as a support for a pivot pin or spring. I would make a base frame of aluminum or steel and cover it with the wood grip. If you just use wood (even laminate) as the base support, it will eventually wear through or break out.

The smg in those pictures still has the FCG in the standard location. You just need a trigger bar to extend back and clear the magwell.

Any high capacity pistol magazine would work for a copy of this. High-cap Glock or S&W magazines come to mind.

For 9mm, .45, etc. blowback, you would still need to modify the bolt/carrier similar to what I did for my conversion. If you really wanted to make something interesting, use Desert Eagle mags and make it gas operated in .44 or .357 and keep the rotating bolt system.

The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Check how the Ingram Model 6 SMG is made. It might give you some ideas on how to use wood, in conjuction with some sheet metal, in making a 9mm lower for an AK pistoil.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well if you get a lower made from wood, you could get it cast from aluminum with a backyard kiln...

That's the Gepard (Cheetah). I looked at that one before and the book says it has the ability to swap between all 9mm calibers with a chamber swap (or bolt & chamber, don't exactly remember).

Edited to add, I just looked it up:

"Derived from the AK-74 and shares 65% parts commonality". Don't know how they came up with that number. Ability to fire 9x17mm (aka .380), 9x18, 9x19, 9x21 Russian, and "new" 9x30 Russian... Also fires 9x21 Western... To fire 9x30, the weapon's chamber is changed via a threaded sleeve that screws into the barrel extension...
    I'm thinking an Uzi-like screw-in deal. To be honest that sounds very close to what that Rheinland Arms guy does/did for his FAL 9mm conversions.

It goes on to say it can be switched between blowback, gas-assisted blowback, or gas operation. "Change in operation is achieved by switching modular bolt groups and recoil spring groups..." supposedly a very complicated procedure. That's interesting.

Remember a few months back I posted about shortening the AK receiver to dry up that "dead space"? This is what you get.

I like that side folder stock! Uses a standard AK-100 hinge. I'd like to see one in SMG config with a barrel extension.

That's doable. The magazine well & feed lips in the chamber area would be the challenge here. I agree with Rhino, do something like the Beretta storm and stick with factory mags of some kind.

Feedback Score

I really like the looks of that bad boy. I would like to find a use for this Soumi barrel if I cant build a legal semi Suomi. I know it would take alot of work, and I had an accident about a two years ago that limmits the use of my hands, but I have a very helpful son to give me a hand.
    The most important recipe you will ever read.
    Believe- John 8:24
    Repent - Luke 13:3
    Confess Christ as Lord -Romans. 10:9
    Baptism for forgivness of sins- Acts2:38, Mark 16:16.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Another 9mm prototype (on bottom). This is from Buddy Hinton's web collection:

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/AK/

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.