Thread: Gun selling

Feedback Score

Default Gun selling

I have a friend who had a relative pass away recently. He was left some items that he doesn't want can he sell them? Do they have to be registered in his name to sell? He wants to do the right thing and make sure the items go threw a FFL but does he have to register them to do that?I know personally when I've sold stuff in the past I was required to send the FFL a copy of my drivers license. I dont no if that is used to take it out of my name or just for records.Can someone esplain.
    Officer...The devil made me do it.....thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

As long as he's selling to someone in the same state, the state regulations will determine what has to be done- Federally, you're just barred from selling to someone that's not allowed to own a firearm (a felon, someone convicted of domestic violence, addicted to drugs, illegal alien, etc)

If it's being sold to someone out of state (or a resident of another state), then in addition to the state regs playing a part, it must be shipped to an FFL, and the buyer fills out paperwork there.

If it's a pistol, and going out of state, you may have to bring it to an FFL to ship it to the out-of-state FFL (most FFL's won't accept a pistol shipped from an individual)

it's all spelled out here: in red, black & white:

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lunyfringe View Post
    If it's a pistol, and going out of state, you may have to bring it to an FFL to ship it to the out-of-state FFL (most FFL's won't accept a pistol shipped from an individual)
    The above is a myth (and most everyone seems to have their own version of it).

If shipping any firearms out of state, please contact the receiving FFL about their policies.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I have no idea what state you live in, so I can not comment on those laws (if any).

Federally, if you (or he) has inherited the firearm(s), and want to dispose of them; them take them to any FFL, and sell them. If you want to get a better price, you will need to find an interested party...Gunbroker works, but is a pain in the ass. Get creative, offer some for prizes in the local NRA auction or raffle. You get a tax deductible donation, and the firearms go to someone who cares.

Just a thought.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.