Thread: yugo work, how to strip the reciever

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

Default yugo work, how to strip the reciever

I am working on my yugo kit today. I have the new CF barrel installed into the trunion, after milling the end of the barrel for the extractor.
    I am under the impression that naval jelly is a good choise to strip off the blue from the original parts.
    the new ballel is allready in the white.
    here is my problem, how do I strip the NDS reciever before I blue it??
    I DO NOT want to blast it because of the texture look. I do not want to sand for the same reason. dose anyone have any suggestions how to get the heat treated reciever ready to blue?? rite now it looks similar to bule, or blackened, I assume just from the heat.
    thanks in advance HB

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

I have had absolutely no luck blueing a heat treated reciever. I have always had to blast them, but thats using cold blue. and yes, you are correct on the color of the receiver cuz its been heat treated, maybe someone else will chime in on this

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Are you cold bluing? I cold blued mine. Rubbed it a bit with a scotch bright pad to get the surface color even so that the cold blue would take evenly. Worked ok enough for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I left my NDS receiver as it was. Matched my Yugo kit great. I figured, that a good soaking of oil, and when it starts to look like it's gonna rust, I'll just clean it and spray with some Alum-a-hyde II.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

yes I am going to try the cold blue. I allready got the kit.
    ohmysac I guess I will try your idea to start . I realy do not want to just leve it as is . maby a test scrub and some blue. if nouthing else I guess I will have to bead blast it. but I hate to.
    thanks guys ..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

DCI offers Hot bluing for 10 or 15 extra...It looks awesome...I have always gone this route . If I beat it up a little I can just touch it up.
    "No honey, that old thing, I've had that for years"
    Kalashnikov Georgia Builders
    member # 047

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1ak2b
    I have had absolutely no luck blueing a heat treated reciever. I have always had to blast them, but thats using cold blue. and yes, you are correct on the color of the receiver cuz its been heat treated, maybe someone else will chime in on this
    I just tried Birchwood Casey's cold blue. It didn't take where the receiver was heat treated and it wasn't dark enough to suit me even where it wasn't heat treated. A friend suggested to clean the heat treated part with vinegar prior to blueing and it did help a *little* but I'm still not satisfied. It's not dark enough to suit me. I want it to match the rest of the gun and if I must - I'll redo the whole thing. I don't want it to look like BS. How can a man be proud of something he makes if it looks like BS? The receiver absolutley MUST match the rest of the gun. I remain unconvinced that any cold blue will be dark enough to match.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I agree with you Shackles. I want my 2 Yugo's I am going to build to be done right. Nodak Spuds web site says they are no longer offering the blueing option on their receivers. I am going to bead blast mine so I will get a nice even texture, then have it professionally blued. I don't want to sand blast it. It leaves the finish too rough. The hack in Arizona that I had build a Romanian AKM for me sand blasted the damn gun instead of bead blasting it like I specifically ask for and when I wipe it down it leaves abraded bits of the rag all over the gun. I'll never trust anyone to build my guns except myself from now on.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rj308
    I agree with you Shackles. I want my 2 Yugo's I am going to build to be done right. Nodak Spuds web site says they are no longer offering the blueing option on their receivers. I am going to bead blast mine so I will get a nice even texture, then have it professionally blued. I don't want to sand blast it. It leaves the finish too rough. The hack in Arizona that I had build a Romanian AKM for me sand blasted the damn gun instead of bead blasting it like I specifically ask for and when I wipe it down it leaves abraded bits of the rag all over the gun. I'll never trust anyone to build my guns except myself from now on.
    Im not sure how rough your finish is or what it is but you might try burnishing it with an olid rag. I use Firepower oil because it is thick and an old cotton bar towell.
    Scrub it hard with that combination and it should smooth out the finish. Good Luck
    FIREARM REFINISHING AT ITS FINEST !

Refinishing and Builds
    AK and variants
    FAL/AR-15/Handguns/Shotguns

Affordable prices/Licensed Gunsmith
    4 to 6 week turnaround
    -Send an email for a price quote today and
    check out our website-

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

here is what I ended up doing.
    I HAD TO BLAST.. I hated it but I did it. as little pressure as would work. the result was a texture. again I was not happy. HOWEVER when it was abll blasted evenly I then took acitone and steel wool and scrubbed, and scrubbed, and scrubbed. the texture realy smoothed out!! I was amaized how much better it got! all that was left was to do the blue kit. I did use the blue wonder kit. I used the cleaner, then put the blue to it. result was honestly prety nice on the first side. BUT a drip ran to the other side, I could not smooth out the color at all, no matter how many couts I put on. what I enede up doing was applying the blue with steel wool and scrubbung lightly, this blended toe color great, I scrubbed all three sides when they were wet with the blue chemicle. NICE. after the first scrubbed on cout I did a couple additional coats with a soft cloth. as no more scrubbing was needed.
    the reciever came out prety nice. I am happy enough with it , and think I could do better if I used the product again.
    here is the worse problem I had. INSIDE the reciever , hard to get to areas, places like the insied rails of the folder ware it is pieces welded on top of others.
    to be honest my folerd was better before I started.. ho well. some areas ended up kind of brown. but you do not see them unless you look inside the reciever or folder rails. Acording to the directions I can redo the spots without stripping the entire gun. I will try more someday in the future.
    another problem I found was after all the blue was done, the directions named things you can not put on the gun and unfortunatly both of the gun oils I have were on the list as do not apply.. I am going to call them and ask if I can never use them or just when the finish is new. I would hate to forget and ruin the finish years form now.
    all in all I would give it a thumbs up. maby not a big thumbs up , but it was prety good. now to find out how it holds up.......

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.