Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AR build article in Shotgun News

Feedback Score

Post AR build article in Shotgun News

Anyone read the AR build article in Shotgun News? They show how to build a Vietnam era AR, very cool! It has me thinking that an AR build would be a bit more with in my reach than an AK build for my first try, and according to SN (if I play my cards right) the cost would be in the same ball park.
    The only wasted vote is the vote not cast!

Find me on My Space: http://www.myspace.com/drunkardben

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

AR builds are very easy. My first one took about an hour, subsequent builds even less.

There is a very good tutorial in the AR library.
    Stripped lowers run about $110-$125, kits start at around $400.
    You can build a very nice AR for less than $600

Yo, what up my Ninja! gmanindahood's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pinball
    Anyone read the AR build article in Shotgun News? They show how to build a Vietnam era AR, very cool! It has me thinking that an AR build would be a bit more with in my reach than an AK build for my first try, and according to SN (if I play my cards right) the cost would be in the same ball park.
    pinball, I did read the article and hit the internet right away looking for parts. If your going to do a build Cheaper Than Dirt has the triangular hand guards for $9.97, don't pass this deal up!
    7.62, did you build your rifle from the ground up or was some of it pre-assembled, such as a complete upper w/ barrel or complete lower?? Do you know where the triangular "keeper" (not sure of correct term) for the front of the handguars can be found? This seems like it might be a difficult part to find. I know that CTD has a complete Colt upper for $399 but I want to do a build comletely from individual parts.
    It takes a nation of millions to hold us all back!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

But can you really call that a build?

Or is that more like an assembly?

Unless you start with a bare casting & do all the drilling & shaping then you could call it a build.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I usually start with stripped lowers and complete uppers.
    While I agree this is more of a assembly than a build, it is the most economical way to go about it. I did one AR piece by piece and it wound up costing me a lot more, even when using dealer pricing from Brownells.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

gman,

Most of the Colts use a different size pivot and take down pins than the normal size. You can still build them on regular lowers, but you need to use special adapter pins.

You can buy complete kits including a complete upper, lower receiver parts kit and the furniture in any configuration you want from Model 1, M&A, J&T, RRA, Olympic and others.
    The complete kits start at about the same price ($400) as just the upper at CTD.
    Plus, IIRC those Colts are takeoffs, not new.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

O.k., I'll call it an assembly.
    7.62, I think that you are right, the complete uppers are probably the way to go, but my line of thinking was that I would be in no hurry to build, excuse me, assemble the rifle and that I would try to pick up parts at gun shows. Part of the reason many of us like to go to these is the haggling done and the satisfaction of getting something at a really good price. I will also be looking on the internet for good vendor deals and maybe a few AR site's classified sections. I'll give myself 1 year of searching starting Jan. 1. 2007. The time between gun shows will also allow some cash regeneration to take place. If after that time period I do not have all of the parts then I will just purchase the neccessary completed assemblies. I think this will be a fun way to do this and it won't break the bank.
    Thanks again for the advice 7.62.

Feedback Score

I saw Vietnam era M16 uppers complete someplace, but I can't for the life of me remember, if I remember correct, it was a hell of a deal too... Damn I hate getting old !
    The only wasted vote is the vote not cast!

Find me on My Space: http://www.myspace.com/drunkardben

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pinball
    I saw Vietnam era M16 uppers complete someplace, but I can't for the life of me remember, if I remember correct, it was a hell of a deal too... Damn I hate getting old !
    I did just see brand new Vietnam "type" completed uppers at cdnn for about $369. It wasn't there was it?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I assembled a CAR 16 last year, I got the parts kit from M&A at a local show for $425 and a Rock River lower for $120 out the door. The upper was already assembled and the lower only took about 30 or 40 minutes to put together. The hardest part is being careful not to scratch the lower when driving in some of the pins, I put some masking tape on areas I thought I'd screw up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.