I assume most of you belt fed guys are familiar with Rich (1919_4_me) from the 1919 forum. He makes some real nice stuff for the 1919 and M2.
I have been using one of his MG42 AA pod adapters and T&E setups. They are both first class rigs that work perfectly.
He recently introduced a new product, a stabilizer kit for the MG42 tripods. Since I was one of the first to receive one, there is very little info on them yet, in the way of reviews or instructions. So here goes.
The fit and finish is superb, just like his other products. In fact the fit is too good from my experience. While the individual parts assemble quite nicely, I found that when connecting them together, they fit together too tightly to allow enough tolerance to fit the variables from tripod to tripod.
This may be something I'm doing wrong, but I can't see how. Theoretically you should be able to just pull the pins and fold up the pod.
On mine everything fits so tight, it requires a large drift punch, 1lb dead blow hammer, about a half hour of coercing and a little cussing to get the pins in. Far too much effort for a portable shooting platform.
It appears that if I open up the holes in the clamp part a tad and bevel the ends of the adjusters where the pins go through a little, I could gain enough wiggle room, to allow it to be broken down and set up with ease. The adjusters would then allow you to take out any slop.
I'm not going to do any drilling or grinding until I get a chance to talk with Rich, as I said it may be something I don't have set up correctly. I'd bet the stabilizer fits whatever pod he used for mock up, perfectly, but I doubt the legs of these pods are held to any strict tolerances.
I will say that once this kit is installed, the pod is rock solid.
PS Rich also has his own 1919 forum.
My clamps must be very close to the same location as in your pic. Mine measure 6" from the little rib on the top of the leg, which is just visible in your first pic.
From looking at your pic it appears that the rib is a little more than an inch above where you are measuring from, so I may have to adjust the height a little.
The problem I seem to be experiencing was from the tight fit between the eye of the adjuster (where the clevis pin slides) and the clamp itself.
The fit is so precise (which would normally be a good thing) it does not allow any lateral movement. I figured if I beveled the ends of the eye slightly it would give me enough wiggle room to make it a lot easier to assemble.
Snugging the adjusters should lock it up solid once it's installed.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with your design or fabrication. I just think it needs a little looser tolerance to work on a multitude of pods (or at least mine)
I'll play with it a little more and get back to you.
PS thanks for the quick reply