Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to use ar mags building ak in 556

  1. #1
    Gunco Member Warwickben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    173
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default How to use ar mags building ak in 556

    Wanted to know what my options are for using ar mags. Since I live in s state with a awb still in effect .
    It's easier for me to get ar mags then preban 556 aks mags.
    What are my options on mounting the mags? I know there's one company you can send a rifle to but I'd rather do the work my self.

  2. #2
    Gunco Member dnepr0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    30
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warwickben View Post
    Wanted to know what my options are for using ar mags. Since I live in s state with a awb still in effect .
    It's easier for me to get a
    AR mags then preban 556 aks mags.
    What are my options on mounting the mags? I know there's one company you can send a rifle to but I'd rather do the work my self.
    Mag well conversion. Either removable like canis type or galil type or permanently welded side plates and AR mag release. You can check out sometime what I have on the topic. Boris is Woking on permanent solution, he didn't like my removable mag well idea.

  3. #3
    Gunco Member Warwickben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    173
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    Mag well conversion. Either removable like canis type or galil type or permanently welded side plates and at mag release. You can check out sometime what I have on the topic. Boris is Woking on permanent solution, he didn't like my removable mag well idea.
    For what I want I don't care if it's permanent or not .
    Not to fussy lol.
    I was looking at canis simple magwell adapter but it looks like it's back order till who knows when so I'm looking at other options.

  4. #4
    Gunco Member dnepr0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    30
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    I haz canis. Not great. Had some serious problems. It'll work in a pinch but lots to improve upon. I have my own folded sheetmetal design. You'd need a welder to make it and it can't drop mag with trigger hand. You gotta use your support hand in AK reload fashion. But it has possibility for last round BHO and release if i work more on it. its very simplistic in current form.

  5. #5
    Gunco Member Warwickben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    173
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    I haz canis. Not great. Had some serious problems. It'll work in a pinch but lots to improve upon. I have my own folded sheetmetal design. You'd need a welder to make it and it can't drop mag with trigger hand. You gotta use your support hand in AK reload fashion. But it has possibility for last round BHO and release if i work more on it. its very simplistic in current form.
    Hmm interested don't care about bho like ak manual of arms also.

  6. #6
    GuncoHolic Sprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,213
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

    Default

    there are several out there one does not work good the renegade one is ok I have one but dont need it.

    if your a builder you can get a 80% ar receiver and cut the rear of and make your own using the mag well from the 80%
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

  7. #7
    Gunco Member Warwickben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    173
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sprat View Post
    there are several out there one does not work good the renegade one is ok I have one but dont need it.

    if your a builder you can get a 80% ar receiver and cut the rear of and make your own using the mag well from the 80%
    I'm willing todo some fab but figured know what other options are out there would be helpful.

  8. #8
    No Hope For Me 1biggun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,079
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

    Default

    I dont bother with them as IMO the Ak options are better to begin with.

    If any AK mags are avaluable to you at all skip the AR crap.

  9. #9
    Gunco Member Warwickben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    173
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default How to use ar mags building ak in 556

    Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I dont bother with them as IMO the Ak options are better to begin with.

    If any AK mags are avaluable to you at all skip the AR crap.
    Know of company's willing to send full size pre ban (older then 94) 5.56 ar mags to mass or non preban and dgaf?

    Or a way to make 5.45 mags work ?

  10. #10
    GuncoHolic Sprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,213
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

    Default

    no 5.45mm mags will only function partially in a 223 /556 ak, the curvature of fthe mag is different,

    your choices are wieger mags (at $50 or more) , converted galil mags, Yugo mags, bulgy waffle mags or my favorite Polish beryls (used about $25)

    like big gun stated the coversion adapters do not work well, some folks swear by them, others call them crap
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •