Thread: .45-70 and .458x54R

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default .45-70 and .458x54R

A friend of mine is doing a Mosin conversion with a wildcat called ".458x54R." It uses a 7.62x54R case opened up to take a .458 bullet.

The 54R case is .018" smaller in than the .45-70 at the base. He plans to wrap a thin piece of tape around the base to keep it centered for the first firing, so the case will blow out centered. I used to have to do that to .303 brass, with even more chamber clearance than that in a very loose SMLE chamber.

After that, he plans to neck size with a .45-70 die.

The 54R case is .010" longer than the .45-70 in its necked form; a bit shorter when opened up. Not a big issue for a straight cartridge; it should run fine in a standard .45-70 chamber.

Bob plans to use the skeletonized magazine trick that Willie pioneered with his .45-70 build, but by using 54R brass, he doesn't have to do any bolt mods at all, so his conversion consists just of the barrel and magazine mods.

There have been a number of proposals for other cases for a .45-70 variant, to avoid the hassle of the big .45-70 rim. Some people have machined the rims down to a more manageable size. But the .458x54R ought to feed nicely through any Saiga .410 mag, and the 54R rim can be accomodated in the AK bolt face, as demonstrated by the PSL and some Russian-market Saigas.
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Interesting concept! Please keep us up to speed if you will and can.Thanks!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

what happened to Willi??

if 45-70 working in a enfield conversion why not a mosin
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

So let me get this staight he is going to try to expand the base 18 thousands? Were will the tape go when this happens ?? how is going to expand witht tape in the way
    No way would I be expanding the base that much .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the base of a 54R is about 489" so its going to have some taper with a 458 bullet in it Id be figuring out a more sutiable reamer.

I like the idea of a 458x54r but not hot on the casehead needing to be expanded so much.

I wonder if a die reamer would be a better start??

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

.303 British swelled more than that in my old No.3. People used to do similar stuff to '06 brass to make Arisaka and Swift cases back in the day.

The case head is solid, it's not going to swell. The tape is to keep the case centered on the first firing, so it expands evenly. Otherwise, you wind up with weird eccentrically-shaped brass, like came out of my No.3. Of course, the chamber was noticeably out of round on that rifle, too... not all that unusual with old Enfields though.

Once you've formed the case, you don't need the tape any more; it will stay centered up through the sizing process.

If you're not comfortable with the idea, no problem. But it's well within normal limits of previous cartridge conversions.
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.