Thread: .30 carbine subsonic rifle

Feedback Score

Default .30 carbine subsonic rifle

I came accross a random post the other day discussing purpose built subsonic rounds/rifles. BRG3 mentioned that .30 carbine was probably a good choice, being straight walled and packing enough punch to send a heavy .308 diameter round downrange, but not so powerful as to go supersonic. It got me thinking... I tried loading some .30 carbine rounds in an AK74 magazine and they seemed to fit pretty well. its long enough that if you loaded 174 grain bullets in the .30 carbine case they would (look rediculous &) just fit in the 74 mag. About 33 of them fit in there, and seemed to leave the magazine fine, if not a bit low. you would need to add just bit more thickness to the follower to hold the last round in place- otherwise is slips out. There isn't an ak bolt with a small enough bolt face pocket to take the tiny .30 carbine, but maybe TIGing in a bushing to reduce the diameter might work... like the 2xtm . I noticed Northridge has demilled .30 carbine barrels....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I met a guy a along time ago was the biggest poucher I have ever heard of. he claimed his main gun of choice was a 30 carbine with the action pined so it would only shoot one shot at a time and a supressor he told me it was quieter than his pellet gun. I never saw the gun and wanted little to do with him he was a real scary outlaw drug smuggler type
    I am not a big 30 carbine fan except for plinking and the ammo is to pricey for that. I bought one 20 years ago at a show bluesky imported or some thing like that $75. found it useless eccept for a saddel gun an pack in trips. Not trying to say its a bad idea would be cool but not one I would put high on the list. You would likely have to add some freebore for that longer bullet not sure. Why not do a 300 wisper??. it can go subsonic and is a pretty good round with lighter bullets loaded up hotter.

A suppressor may be the next big Item I buy if I ever get any extra cash.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Heres my version of a purpose built subsonic.
    http://www.gunco.net/forums/f50/7-62...-buster-37901/

Feedback Score

I love that thing, that was the whole reason I was looking into subsonic's in the first place. You need to post more pics of that build/ internals!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Why not just re-load 7.62 x 39 as a Whisper round? Use less powder and a projectile from the 7.62 x 54 round. This seems the most simple and easiest route.

The Yugo gas block has a gas cut-off already installed. Therefore, you can stop the action from cycling if you desire without doing any serious modifications to the rifle. Just alter the grenade sight into a lever.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullpup View Post
    I love that thing, that was the whole reason I was looking into subsonic's in the first place. You need to post more pics of that build/ internals!
    Ill try to get some posted this weekend. It really is not a hard build as you dont have to deal with gas port issues.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Walker View Post
    Why not just re-load 7.62 x 39 as a Whisper round? Use less powder and a projectile from the 7.62 x 54 round. This seems the most simple and easiest route.

The Yugo gas block has a gas cut-off already installed. Therefore, you can stop the action from cycling if you desire without doing any serious modifications to the rifle. Just alter the grenade sight into a lever.
    That's a fine suggestion, but the selection of .311 bullets is slim. .308 diameter bullets offer a greater variety of choices.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Numerous people have used .308 in the .311 with very good success. Some have even claimed greater accuracy (although I believe this may come from carefull attention in reloading).

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.