Thread: Tight chamber and headspace stuff

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default Tight chamber and headspace stuff

I started collecting parts for a NEW 223 SUPER VARMIT AK (I hope to do a photo shoot of the build and post in the future) and I bought a high dollar barrrel off the NET chamberd for 223. It was originaly set up for a compitition bolt gun and was guarranted to have been shooting sub .400" groups I got to cheaking it out and found that it has a very tight neck and will likely require neck turning of the brass.
    the reson I am posting is that this is a safety issue that has not really been adressed here when using take off or unknow barrels.
    A tight neck can cause the bullet not to release as it is pinched buy the chamber and this can cause very high pressure. also free bore should also be checked as it is posable on a custom barrel that the bullet can actually be hitting the rifling and cause higher pressures.
    just a couple things to keep in mind for guys who find a great deal on a bench rest barrel or some unknown nonfactory barrel.

Feedback Score

glad you posted on this. I just got done turning a .308 barrel for my ak. how do you check ? this is a rem. take off. muttman

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

the remington take off should be fine, It is produced to accept a wide variety of factory ammunition. The custom jobs are just that sized to an exact standard for one particular case size or just a very tight spec.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by muttman View Post
    glad you posted on this. I just got done turning a .308 barrel for my ak. how do you check ? this is a rem. take off. muttman
    The easiest way to check chamber dimensions is through the use of cerrosafe.

CERROSAFEĀ® CHAMBER CASTING ALLOY at Brownells

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

on a take off barrel it should be ok. the round will be tight if it is off. You could expand your brass untill it wont fit and measure it as well a chamber casing is also a good idea as well . If you reload it is good to cheak how far you can seat a bullet out before it touches the rifeling. this is good for accuracy tunning and also safety. some guns shoot better with the bullet just off the rifling some like a lot of clearance.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.