Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 5.56 Bubba Build

Feedback Score

Default 5.56 Bubba Build

I recently completed a bubba build 5.56 AK. A mix of parts., but I hope it will be a good shooter as the components are of good quality.

BARREL- Virgin Bulgarian CLHF SLR from Knob Creek @ $110
    Bolt, Carrier & virgin front trunnion- from a M85 virgin kit
    rear trunnion/block - Romanian RPK
    receiver cover- shortened and profiled Zastava M76
    muzzle device- I threaded SLR barrel 14mmx1., then threaded the take-off SLR fish gill brake and cut plunger slot etc.
    scope rail - PAP rail modified to relocate forward on the receiver by 2.125". Used left side trigger guard side rivet location.
    Barrel components- stripped from another used SLR barrel., drilled FSB for plunger & spring for retaining the muzzle device.
    receiver- Nodak Spud Y556
    furniture - Ironwood Designs WoodPile sale from several years ago., $48 for the set. stained & finished. Had to drill the cleaning rod channel, kinda PITA. Might swap for Polymer black or plum?
    Optic- ZRAK M76., might use another type., but eye relief is very good with the relocated optics rail
    magazine - standard Zastava M85/90/95 $10 steel mags.

Took a lot of fitting and drilling for the virgin parts, optics rail relocation & fitment and the somewhat wonky 5.56 trigger guard/mag latch, center support and FCG fitment in the 5.56 receiver. Not rocket science but time consuming. The barrel fit nicely with only minor reprofiling the underside for the 5.56 bullet guide clearance.

8/25 status Need to cut the lower handguard retainer slot, install the furniture hardware and finish in KG GunKote. Hope to range test next week.

Final KG GunKote finish and assembly>

I have had it out twice. 2.5 to 3 MOA so far. Consistent shooter. Have not zeroed the scope fully yet.
    dutigaf and 2ndAmendican like this.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Looks really good. I have an under folder built from parts from various countries that very well may be my fav AK in my collection. Most of it was from spare parts I had stashed away. Anyhow, I bet yours will be an accurate go-to shooter that wont get left behind if you need to bug out.
    Last edited by mtdew; 09-04-2015 at 05:51 PM.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

nice looking HQ build!

gotta ask:

did you just have all these really nice parts left over?

or did you acquire these with the intention of them becoming this?

reason is you have a pretty specific group of parts there that are just not usually laying around like that.

do tell!
    say what you mean & mean what you say

im here to build stuff.... not cry about "how things used to be"
    YES, i work for TEC Tactical.. 07/02 SOT

Feedback Score

Good question.,
    I purchased several of the virgin M85 krink kits and a small lot of miscellaneous M92 parts in 2012. After building a couple krinks I sat on the kits for future use or sale.., well then by 2014 the M85 and M92 Zastava PAP pistols showed up. DOH!!., they cost less than the krink kits I bought., and only lacked the underfolder. Though at the time the kits did come with 5 mags, sling, pouch etc.

I decided to use some of the M85 and M92 parts and part out some of the remainder. Once I determined the Bulgarian SLR barrels in 7.62 & 5.56 were an excellent mate for the krink trunnions and setback I went that direction. The $10 M85 mags helped the decision though I had those that came with the kits already.

The hinge block and krink top cover sell pretty well and enabled me to get some pretty good $$ back. Virgin trigger guards and the krink underfolder stocks and virgin rear blocks sell well also for those converting the PAP pistols to SBR etc.
    I built several AK's using the parts in 7.62 and 5.56 in various configurations.
    Never know where the hobby can lead.
    I suspect one of the M85 unaltered front trunnion would sell well for those who would like the newly imported M90 5.56 rifles to accept steel Zastava mags vs the AR mag adaptor etc. But I only have one krink kit left now.
    Hell I even bought one of the PAP M85 pistols when Centerfire gad them on special for $369.
    I had some of the IWD woodpile furniture and M76 receiver covers as extra stuff. The barrels as indicated were sold kinda cheap sometimes as a 23mm 5.56 barrel is a stepchild unless you turn it to 22mm for a AK74 to 5.56 build and turn down the RSB journal to AK74 pattern vs AK47.

That is the short and the long of it.
    I still have some of the parts to sell off this winter.

Other uses ., the $369 M85 PAP pistol mod and a M92 mixed part build on a bulged Yugo receiver vs the 1mm etc. Chromelined USA barrel>

dutigaf likes this.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

excellent work as always.

your a true craftsman!

notice you (me too) like those hinged topcovers really well. they really set a gun off!

& thank you for being willing to share the info on how you got to this point. great stuff!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Very Nice builds,,they all look Really Great !!! Damn,you do nice work!!!

Anything I was thinking about doing is on the back burner for a bit after finding all the structural surprises on my house,,that's made me broke !!!

We'll see what the new year brings, all the major structural stuff is done now and most of the cosmetics, so maybe I'll actually have some spare jingle and can actually do up something else soon?

The PPs43 in 45ACP , is still in the back of my mind and not forgotten,,just on hold for now. Hell,it's about the only thing I can do that I'll be able to fit into the safe,,both are packed to the gills!!! Not a bad thing to have happen though,,,,,I guess?

Oh BTW,,how are those PAP M85's, I kinda pondered on one, but for what they were running I didn't expect they'd be very good? What's he good word on those?

I know a guy that wants to do some trading and he offered up one of those NIB to me for 4 bills on a trade for something I have that he wants.

Feedback Score

Thanks., the PAP M85NP (with AR mag adaptor) is nice. Of course I only shot it a few times in that configuration before putting the 16 inch Bulgy barrel on it. The M92 is nice as well but I like a buttstock. Not into the arm braces etc. so the longer barrel or extension gets put in place.
    The pistols are good build quality. A few with canted barrel components are reported.
    $400 is a pretty good price right now.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by akblue View Post
    Thanks., the PAP M85NP (with AR mag adaptor) is nice. Of course I only shot it a few times in that configuration before putting the 16 inch Bulgy barrel on it. The M92 is nice as well but I like a buttstock. Not into the arm braces etc. so the longer barrel or extension gets put in place.
    The pistols are good build quality. A few with canted barrel components are reported.
    $400 is a pretty good price right now.
    akblue you are a master builder. Damn that is nice. Yall put work and precision into that. Damn I wish I had your patience. Here is my Red neck put together with God knows AK parts I have sitting around. Good God nuttin like your masterpiece.
    Hell this is Chinese, Romanian, God know what for a barrel. Head spaced, let the girlfriend test fire it. Ah for God sake she likes shooting and I need my eye-site to pay the damn bills.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

Thanks., I have built my share of rag-a-muffins too. Like these Khyber Pass closes.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

great phrase!

im gonna steal it!

"rag-a-muffin" builds! (credit AKBLUE)

DONE!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak74s

amd63

anyone use kvar rpk barrel on m72 build

bulgarian ak74 wood images

pics of yugo m70

pkm buttstock

rpk

saiga 12 conversion

saiga walnut

type 3 ak

yugo m92

yugo rpk

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.