Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question for motorcycle guy's

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Default Question for motorcycle guy's

I recently watched a "How it's made" show on Morgan three wheeler cars. I guess these things won a lot of races back in the day. They still make them using a special made V-twin from S&S adapted to a four or five speed sports car tranny.
    Anyhow I've been day dreaming a junkyard clone build & wondered what would make a good poor boy priced engine?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question for motorcycle guy's-_57.jpg  

Question for motorcycle guy's-87.jpg  

Question for motorcycle guy's-100_0468.jpg  

" Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

I would try for a Honda Goldwing engine. There are probably dozens of them at a MC salvage yard and they have plenty of ponies in them to move just about anything.
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The originals used J.A. Prestwich OHV V-twins. So did a number of motorcycle builders, including J.A.P. themselves. A rebuildable core cost about as much as a new GSXR1000, last I looked...

I'd try a Honda CX500/550/650; the crank points straight out the back, where you could hook it to a Subaru or flipped VW transaxle with some adapter-genuity. A Guzzi would also work, but I've seen exactly one of those in the last 40 years. Two, if you count the one I saw in a motorcycle museum...

The 2F-1R layout is MUCH more stable than the 1F-2R "conventional" trike layout.

Three-wheelers were common in Britain because they were licensed as motorcycles, and there was such a huge difference in licensing, "road tax", and insurance, that they were a good buy. The Morgans, on the other hand, were just plain weird. <grin>

Someone made one with a French 2CV powertrain; that would be nearly ideal, since the transaxle, halfshafts, etc. are already there. But 2CVs are rare here. All of the other solutions I can think of involve machine work.

Hmm... how far do you intend to drive? Electric would solve a whole bunch of your driveline problems, and you can pick up the motors and controllers relatively cheap if you manage to snag a wreck.
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score

Here's a Suzuki m109r v-twin with internal transmission. This motor is a beast with loads of torque. The guy bought it for something like $700 and is looking to get $1500 for it but I'm not certain about that. I do know that this motor will have more the enough power to do what you want but don't know if it could be adapted to do so. Good luck with your project and keep us posted on your progress, im very interested to see what you come up with.FS: 2007 engine with 4200 miles

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

There's a Morgan just 10 miles or so down the road,,a damn nicely restored one at that. They drive it almost every day it's nice out, they have a silver shop in Benson and drive it to work. It's pretty neat, I can't seem to get them to go to a show though, they'd win a trophy in the motorcycle class,,no doubt! It's quite unique.

There was a guy that was building up a Honda powered 3 wheeler not long ago but don't know what ever became of it? He used the complete front sub frame/engine/trans axle assembly then built the frame off that. It was to the point of being able to be driven but don't know if he ever did the body, that was 2-3 years ago I last saw him.

Maybe he busted his ass in it???

Most others I've seen are just the normal trike configuration,mostly the VW powered ones. Those you can get kits for,,or used to be able to???

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Take a look at the trike section at LocostUSA.com ? Index page

It's sort of like the Gunco for building your own Lotus 7. for every 1600cc near-reproduction, there seems to be a guy with a twin-turbo V8 mid-engine rocket sled...
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Wife and I were driving down Pico Blvd in Santa Monica a few months back and I saw in a little glass front one story warehouse, a Morgan roadster. Wasn't easy stopping and running across the street in LA rush hour traffic but looked to my hearts content at new!! roadsters and, in the narrow lot next door, three wheelers. WOW -- had no idea they were making these again. These are so cool. Brad -- had the same thought about the crate big twins going in the custom bikes.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I saw a simular set up that looked much more modern being sold by a company at the Harley 100th anniversary in Milwaukee about 10 years ago or so . was sort of a sports car deal but was three wheels as I recall.

I have seen pictures of a Harley engine in a Suzuki samurai also . should work fine as the original suzukie had abut 50 hp an the Harley setup was about 100.

I always wanted to build a car that ran a outboard boat motor power head . they used to use them in race cars back in the 50's I have a Hot Rod mag with some of them in it . imagine a a 300+HP two stroke black max in a littel roadster or track T

Persoanly think the morgan is sort of Fugely but if it had 4 wheels it would better looking

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Harley Powered Sports Car Should be Filed Under WTF?

check this out

do a image search on Harely powered cars an there is all sorts of cool stuff

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I like to have this. it was factory built in africa or somewere .basicaly a track T with a harely engine had a three speed mazda trans with over drive .

I have about 90% of the parts to build a track T I have been thinking really hard about a 4 cyl with s turbo for one or maybe a track T truck.

If I had a harely engine Id consider it . I see EVO big twins complete Bikes sell for about $5000 or even less occasionaly .Used harely prices have gone way down.

then again I can get a toyota ,pinto , datsun , or other 4 banger pretty cheap an a trans bolts right up .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.