Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Proposal: Survivalist Flag / Symbol

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Proposal: Survivalist Flag / Symbol

If TSHTF it would be useful if the members of the group had an easy way to know who their peers are.

For instance, I live in a suburban area, I know where I'd go to hold up for awhile, if bad shit started going down. I don't want to interview every douche-bag who comes around, looking for a free meal, to figure out if they know anything; I want a quick and easy way to make a positive identification from a distance, so I can offer shelter to a brother in need.

Design:
    1. Distinct enough so you can recognize it from a distance.
    2. Two main colors, background and foreground.
    3. Easy enough to "draw" with spray paint or a paint bucket and brush.
    4. Perhaps even a code to notify others as to what kind of help/service you can offer.
    Function:
    1. Survivalists will be able to make identification at a distance to others who have some knowledge.
    2. Caches can be labeled.
      1. If I have too much stuff to carry, I'd rather someone who is somewhat prepared get it, than someone who is going to squander it.
      2. Once the cache is empty, the symbol can be marred.
    If we want a "code" of some sort, what are the major tenants of survival... these are just some thoughts not a definitive list:
    1. Food & Water
      1. Horticulture experience.
      2. Food/Water surplus.
      3. Food preparation.
      4. Water purification.
    2. Firearms
      1. Marksmanship knowledge.
      2. Ammo and/or firearms.
      3. General supplies.
      4. Gunsmithing / reloading knowledge.
    3. Shelter
      1. Designation of a place is good shelter.
      2. Person with building or carpentry experience.
    4. Medical
      1. Medical supplies.
      2. Medical knowledge, first aid and up.
    Here's a concept I've been working on, this would make it easy for people in TSHTF community to easily identify others who have spent some of their life learning about how to protect themselves. Constructive criticism, comments, and suggestions are more than welcome.

pmb
    Feedback Score

FWIW, I think that a simple symbol to ID yourself in the event of a confrontation/meeting would be great as I have thought about it as well; but I would leary to publicly display what I may or may not have to just anyone who I have not been able to size up first.

It may be painting a target on yourself for others with knowledge of the symbols/code (other survialists, gov't, desperate people with knowledge of the meaning of the symbols/code).

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

If SHTF, I don't want to overtly advertise my surpluses.

A covert network, NP by me, but a public announcement - even if somewhat coded - does not attract the kind of attention I'd want if the S truly HTF.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Anyone approaches my place, DAMN WELL better have a WHITE flag!
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

My initial reaction would be to ask you why you would want to advertise the fact that you have meds, food, water and ammo. BUT, I would assume that only people in "the know" would understand this symbol?
    It seems like a good theory in principal, but I'm still not sure that I would want to advertise this fact in a survival situation.
    Word would spread quickly and these identifiers may prove to be fatal to those that wear them or have them on their structures.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

If you start offering shelter to strangers in need they will wind up kicking you out and taking all you have. Especially in a SHTF situation.

I would rethink this one there bro!

NOT A GOOD IDEA.

MUSIBIKE

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

some points to consider.... you will not be able to stay awake 24/7. There will be a golden hord looking for food and water. 1 vs 30 is not too good of odds for survival. having a few friends to hang out with would be helpful especialy for city folks networking with like minded members according to the state you reside would be a great starting place.

jrs
    Feedback Score

But you don't want strangers that are complete unknown entities. You make these arrangements before TSHTF.
    jrs
    --
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.", Will Durant

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.", Edmund Burke

Feedback Score

I think that I would stay out of sight monitor the air waves and wait.
    I would only consider bringing a group in only if they can contribute to the survival effort and agree to be searched because I don't want to get cut while I slept.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default spelling error

CS good point however they would be feeling the same way to
    now is a good time to get to networking and hammering out some new friendships. Tip is finding like minded people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.