Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: AR15 Parts Kit (I all parts)

  1. #1
    Gunco Veteran Toten Kopf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    WYOMING
    Posts
    1,815
    Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

    Default AR15 Parts Kit (I need all parts)

    Of course not counting the lower receiver.

    Way back when I was "assembling" AR15's (I had one of the first SGW CNC machined lowers, ugly by today's stanards), you would buy parts kits that were really a "parts kit.

    I mean everything was in a bag, not like today where the upper receiver is a complete assembly.

    Any way, after do some searching, I have not found a vendor that provides a total "parts" kit. I mean even the rear A2 sight should be in a bag (not assembled).

    Does anyone know of a vendor that provides a total "in the bag" AR15 parts kit? Reason, I will be doing a CD to go with my AK-47 Build CD on how to assemble an AR15. So I need everything in a bag.

    Any help in this quest will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Toten Kopf; 09-03-2008 at 06:01 PM.
    "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

    WOLVERINES! One of GUNCO's First Hundred!

  2. #2
    Gunco Good ole boy kernelkrink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,052
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default

    That's how we used to get the Oly Arms kits, but now that "buildin' an AR" is being done by everybody and his brother in law I think the uppers are being sold assembled and headspaced for liabilty reasons. It also removes the need for a specialty bbl nut wrench, the rest can be put together with some punches and a screwdriver. I haven't seen the complete unassembled kits in years.

    I would call up the vendors and ask them if they can sell you what you want as a package deal, it just might be they don't see a market for a "Bag o' Rifle parts" and don't list it. Otherwise you could buy an assembled upper and a lower kit then disassemble it. Probably be cheaper that way than buying all the parts individually.

  3. #3
    Gunco Good ole boy tanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    5,353
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

    Default

    Maybe DPMS can help. They list an unassembled parts kit in their catalog but not on their websight.

  4. #4
    THE 9mm ADDICT MUSIBIKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,840
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

    Default

    They all sell all of the parts. But, none of them sells you sells you a complete KIT anymore. I like that everyones else's parts all will work on any other AR assembly. Less Bushmaster maybe. I have heard a lot of folks having troubles with that one for some reason.
    Last edited by MUSIBIKE; 08-25-2008 at 03:17 PM.

  5. #5
    Gunco Addicted for life j427x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,349
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

    Default

    DPMS and JSE Surplus - AR15 Parts has the kits as does fire for effect if you enjoy doing it all yourself.

  6. #6
    THE 9mm ADDICT MUSIBIKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,840
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

    Default

    The last DPMS kit I got DID NOT have a lower. I used a STAG stripped lower.

  7. #7
    Gunco Member fredieusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    122
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default

    Two points cme to mind.

    1) You may want to focus your DVD to what and how things are available in the market today. About 99% of people want to learn ONLY what is required and no more.. The other 1% will need no help as they will sooner or later take things apart themselves anyway (Also this 1% dont read manuals or ask directions when travelling) ..

    2) Its going to be tough to get them "parts kit" old skool. Best you take what you got and disassemble, this will also cut on expense.

    Good luck with the project!

  8. #8
    Gunsmith Fritz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    1,095
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fredieusa View Post
    1) You may want to focus your DVD to what and how things are available in the market today. About 99% of people want to learn ONLY what is required and no more.. The other 1% will need no help as they will sooner or later take things apart themselves anyway (Also this 1% dont read manuals or ask directions when travelling) .
    I disagree. I think that a wealth of information to be sorted through is far better than a "AR-15 for dummies". If a potential buyer of the instructional CD wants to build from an assembled upper, then he or she can start at that point in the process. The table of contents could then be labeled for this. But it would be nice for people to see every working part of their gun, and what it does if they choose to. Parts do break occasionally.

  9. #9
    gunco irregular moleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Posts
    3,202
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Default

    I agree with Fritz. If I'm getting a "how to assemble an AR15" dvd, I want to know to put the entire gun together. Most kits today come with the top half already put together and you only really have to put the lower parts on your stripped lower receiver. But lets say in a year or two I want to replace an A2 upper with a A3, put on a different barrel or free float tube. I know some guys that bought parts for their guns one piece at a time to sneak it past their wife. They certainly would need to know how to put the whole thing together. As a bonus if you put the whole gun together you have a better understanding of how it works.

  10. #10
    Gunco Addicted for life j427x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,349
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

    Default

    yes--on a DVD i would want every assembly of the ar-15 and all it's sub assembly's broke down and re-assembled. even the barrel-extension and head-space.

    this is way more than most people would need.

    however- you might run into the guy that wants to make his own wildcat round AR and that type of info would critical then. so you need to think in the terms "build" rather than assemble. tons of stuff on assemble--little out there on "build".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •