Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kalashnikov Wildcats

Feedback Score

Postak Kalashnikov Wildcats

Finding an old thread of mine, I began to wonder what "wildcats" would be worth doing in an AK.
    I've done a few hours of searching the high seas of the interwebs but not finding a whole lot.
    What non-traditional chamberings do you think are worth it?
    "The way of the warrior is death, this means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this, it means to see things through, being resolved."---Yamamoto Tsunemoto's Hagakure

Feedback Score

6.5 Grendel

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

a true wildcat you would have to dream up your own --

the 6mm neck down of the 6.5 grendel is a popular wild cat , so how about a 6.5 laupa necked down to 257? or 6mm--or necked up to a 280 or even .30?

got to be plenty of options here--LOL!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Hey PT! Long time no see! Sky's the limit really. You'll have to surf this forum so you can find some good ideas

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

well there is a calibur conversion area here an TRX has made a list of every round he has seen posted being done .

THE BIG QUESTION IS WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SHOOT WITH YOUR AK ? THAT WILL DICTATE WHAT YOU SHOULD LOOK FOR .

I finished a 6mm BRX variant this year that uses cut down 308 brass . its basically a 6mmBR wiht the shoulder an neck made longer pushes a 85 gtain bullet at around 3000 FPS or so Im estimating , Im still working on getting a Chrony . there will be a 30 brx as well once I get back in the shop it will out run a x39 bay about 200 fps im guessing

since you can use 308 length round with a few mods there a lot of things you can do.

Im considering a 45-70 rimless made from blown straight 284 win brass. the cases are almost idential then an the 284 has a rebatd 30-06 size rim

I have aks in 300 savage , 308, 243, 223, 6MM BRX variant , I have plans for a 444 round an few others at some point .

Im doing a swith barrel build that will allow me to screw on any barrel I choose .

easy rounds you might consider are 220 russian 22 PPC, 6mm ar turbo , 6mm PPC, 6.5 ppc 6.5 grendal , 6mmx39 Beggs ( basicaly an necked down 7.62x39) , 7mm PPC they all share the same bolt face as the x39 case . anything that bench rest guys have done with 22o russin brass or 6mm ppc brass will work well.

all of the bench rest rounds on bench rest brass will likely work also but a lot more mods an mag work . the bolt face needs to be opend up an you will bneed to twek the mags if you want a 30 rounder or you can use a converter an special 30br ar mags .

If you had a ar mag addaper an bokt with .470 face ( same as 308 win or 30-06) then im pretty sure you could shoot 22br , 6mm br , 6.5br , 30 br with jsut a barrle change . push the shoulder forward .100 an you will have a BRX version of all of these . I think my 6mm BRX variant is likey to most versatile round in a AK done yet (yea im biased ) it will shoot 55 grainers at close to 3800 fps or more . it will shoot 110 grainers at around 2700 ( will need a fast twist ) an it will use 100 grain deer bullets at about 2800 or more . its damn close to matching a 243 win in a AK ? AR round . I can shoot Praire dogs to likely elk with it ( NO IM not going to hunt elk wiht it but 243 win guys do ) very simualr rounds ahve set numebrious bench rest recorders recently an I can make it from cheap 308 brass or expensive match grade the best in the world 6mm BR brass . it migth be a bit light on deer but the BC give it some really good long range usabilty in the heaver bullets... Yea I could have just built a 243 win an laoded it down a bit but I wanted to do it in a ar / ak length mag to shut op the grendal an ar turbo guys . there is also a 22 BR & BRX that is really good an is just under 22-250 performance an has set records inthe longer bench rest classes .

For a barrel only conversion Id look at the 6mm Beggs it can be made from 220 russion by just expanding the neck or can be made from cheap x39 cases by sizing doan . the round holds bench rest records an keeps the original taper of the 7.62x39 case so mags should work as is . dies an reamers are avaliabe Im told . I was going to build one but I could never get a hold of the inventor ( Gene Beggs) an decided to do my own 6mm version thats even faster but much harder to make .

any 308 based round can be made to wrk Id advise to load lighter how ever .

for example a 260 remingto loaded light will blow the door of any Grendal I dont car e how many zombies the AR guys have killed with the grendal . how about a 35 Remington or 358 win ??? I have plans for a 358 win as soon as I get the screw barrel gun done .

A 250 savage is doable also . But like the 308 length round swill require some Mods

HC Pookie did a 6.5x55 an it works fine I have read here . there is a 6.5 wild cat that uses cut down 6.5x55 swede dies an 308 brass to give a pretty good round I have a thread on it in the calibure conversion section I think.

I hve plans for a 17-223 also I have the reamer the conversion dies the reloadng dies anthe barrel blank . I am concerned the gas port will be half the size of the bore or more

how about a 9x23 gas operted AK you could use cut down 223 cases .

then there is the 223 based wild cats an comeercial rounds. 17-223, 17 fireball, 17 remington , 19 calhoon , 222mag, 204 ruger , 20 vertag , 6mm- 223, 25-223. 7mm-223 an then the latest an greatest round ever invented by mall ninjas an zombie hunters the super fantastic 300 Blackout it can shoot 200 fps faster than a larger 7.62x39 has over 3000 choices for bullet to choose from is the only round in the world that works right suppressed there are special coated bullets bullets made jsut for it that have BC that defy science the accuracy is under 1/2 MOZ ( minute of zombie ) an they will work in any AR an never ever jam an 30 rounds will fit in a 15 round mag . Thats if you believe anything from the AR sights . LMFAO If you got a AK just keep it 7.62x39 an pertend your getting a suppressor like the 1000,s of AR guys who have black outs with a 1-8 twist barrel but will never ever shoot a suppressed round in there lives

If the 223 didnt exist an was so cheap to load an get brass for Id build a 220 Russian an run stock AK mags . you could use expensiver high quality brass or neck down 7.62x39 cases .

keep the pressures under 50,000 PSI an IMO you will be pretty safe even with a .470 bolt face . build at your own risk .

Feedback Score

1BigGun, I actually did have 358 Win as one of my prospective cartridges. I've got some ideas for a 260 Remington too in a variety of platforms.
    Interesting..............
    "The way of the warrior is death, this means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this, it means to see things through, being resolved."---Yamamoto Tsunemoto's Hagakure

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Welcome back PT!!

I remember your RPK 74 from the early days.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Some members at the Weapons Guild developed a new round called the .510 Reedwacker. They are built on WSM cases. They had some die sets made up by Lee. I bought the dies & building an AK for it is in my long line of projects.Quite a thumper it will be!
    My first Mauser project was around 1970 & I did it in .458 American . A guy named Tommy Bish had a build tutorial in a Guns dijest book. Read that & had to have one!
    It's long gone & I recently found the same book on Ebay. I may try it again.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Have they ever run the thrust numbers on the reedwacker?

I was a bit freaked that they were running it on a opened up AR bolt .

I canceled a order for a reamer for a simular round back when the over hyped an failed to deliver Remington was intoduced .

The thing abiut AK,s is your not stuck with a a . 2.260 mag well limit you can run much longer rounds with out a lot of work .

the whole I need to use a AR length round round is sort of silly . Yea my 6mm brx is short like that an yea It wont do any thing a a 243 win cant do better except it more efficiant an i can use lapuia brass .

a 358 win is a bout as easy as 308 conversion . you need to pay attention to your mag choice how ever if the mag narrowes at the front then its going to pinch the bullets that are larger . There is away to mod a g3 mg to work in a AK trunion an there not pinched . it takes soem mods to the mag but it will work

now that kits are like $400 just buying a saiga 308 or Viepr 308 makes a lot more sence . you get the extra lug you know its wil run at least 60,000 psi on a .470 bolt face ytou get a recvier thats ready to go an no bolt mods needed .

I willl eventualy convert my 308 sagia to some thing. i bought it to make a 260 rem target gun .

also check out Willies 500 S&W ON A 410 SAIGA Its deffinatly a consideration also . he threaded the trunion to take a screw in barrel mch like my curent project .

i have actualy considered seeing if there is enough meat on my 308 sagia to do a scew in barrel build so I can run full pressure 22-250, 243, 260 loads .

Id love a 6.5-284 ir 6mm-284 im not sure what the lugs will take even on a 308 saiga but man that would reach out an touch some thing

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

an oldie but goodie-- the 257-08! 25-08! 25 super--LOL somewhere between the 243 and the 260-- sort of a shortened 25-06 --

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.