Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To build or not to build S/A Tommy

Feedback Score

Default To build or not to build S/A Tommy

I want to build a Thompson using the dutigaf tutorial. As I have posted, I am confused as to what the problems are with the law in using the existing parts from 1928 and M1 kits and an 80% receiver. I don't care about possibly wrecking a part. I just don't need the bs from the government bureaucrats.
    The tutorials are great. the plan is there. Any advice or encouragement would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The parts are already US made. So using original parts is OK.
    You can apply for a SBR stamp if you want to use the original barrel.
    Or, swap it out with a 16" long and save $200

I have not done one of these up myself, but Dutigaf is well within the legal bounds
    with his conversion. I'd scrutinize his tutorial and make sure you understand his
    proceedure. I think he would be glad to answer questions you may have.
    Charter member-Busted Box Club est. 2006

"I will adhere to the Patriot Act, the one signed in 1776"
    - Marc Anderson

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Rahatlakhoom View Post
    The parts are already US made. So using original parts is OK.
    You can apply for a SBR stamp if you want to use the original barrel.
    Or, swap it out with a 16" long and save $200

I have not done one of these up myself, but Dutigaf is well within the legal bounds
    with his conversion. I'd scrutinize his tutorial and make sure you understand his
    proceedure. I think he would be glad to answer questions you may have.
    No cando SBR in Washington state I believe. I will attempt to gather parts without barrels
    Can an M1 receiver be mated to a 1928 trigger housing?
    Would modify that trigger housing to prevent butt stock installation for the pistol.
    For carbine would do the barrel modification relocating the Cutts compensator back and pin to modified barrel permanently.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

sure fire away...

cant really tell you whats legal in your area.. but if its about the build? sure can chat you till your ears fall off on that. :-)

we just did several more at the build party last weekend, both M1 and 1928 styles.

yes if you can set it up to where the lowers can interchange from your 28a1 to your m1... but then you either need to be 16" barrels or SBR'd....

a knowledgeable "tommy nut" is gonna know the difference, but most people on the street wouldnt.

if you look at my recent M1 tutorial you will see the mods to the lower to keep it a pistol build.

it didnt have to be a pistol, just didnt want to pay for the stamp & i went the longer barrel on the 28a1.

these builds are a big investment compared to an AK or CETME.... but not really a big investment if you have done a 1919 or mg42 or gory and so on...

the semi's you can buy have improved over the last few years, BUT they still just aint right as to being a REAL tommy and looking right or handling right and they are junk on the inside. (sorry thats just MHO )

ask any of the guys from this weekend and they'll all tell you its a fun build too!

s
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score

Thanks for your encouragement. I am goin to build, i purchased a NOS 1928A1 kit and will probadly get some other parts as well. i have been looking deeper into this, I was surprised how many people and how much time has gone into this subject. Mr. Richardson has a wealth of knowledge. Mr. Polston's effort to produce an authentic (using so many of the original parts) weapon. That would be my first choice as to what I want.
    I think that however I end up doing this, it will happen. It would be nice to have a manufactured as SA receiver, rather than an 80% build just to be done with it.
    I will probably build one each way. I still have some time as I need all the pieces on the bench at one time and I will plan this out and create several autocad .dwgs for reference. I'm just getting started.

As Hussein Massawi, former leader of Hezbollah, neatly put it, "We are not fighting so that you will offer us something. We are fighting to eliminate you."

Feedback Score

There are No SBR's allowed in Washington State, and as for the parts kits, do your research, normally a FA receiver will not fit on a Semi Auto not without alot or work so I have been told. when you are going over your plans and specs make sure a full auto sear cannot be accepted, and the receiver will not except a FA Bolt. this could lead to a problem with the powers that be. It has been said that you can reweld a destroyed receiver, But ATF states as Well Once a Machine Guyn Always a Machine gun. thier rules can be a bit confusing, If you have a verified approved plan by ATF approving such a build great. If you want something Diffrent write them a letter and include all the data about your project that you wish to build. I sent in a letter in for a build, and received a response in about 6-7 weeks. Hope this helps,,BTW do you have the link to an approved build? Thanks in advance.....Doc

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

My grandfather brought a Tommy back from WW2.He was a Island hopping Marine.I remember him showing it to my father sometime in the 60s.I asked him about it around 1995 and he said it was illeagle and he found a gun dealer that took it off his hands.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dcholl View Post
    It has been said that you can reweld a destroyed receiver, But ATF states as Well Once a Machine Guyn Always a Machine gun.

thier rules can be a bit confusing, If you have a verified approved plan by ATF approving such a build great.

If you want something Diffrent write them a letter and include all the data about your project that you wish to build. I sent in a letter in for a build, and received a response in about 6-7 weeks. Hope this helps,,BTW do you have the link to an approved build? Thanks in advance.....Doc

Doc,

yes & no...

the ruling on demilled receivers is that they are no longer receivers... they are just scrap metal. therefore exempt from "once a machinegun always a machinegun".

as to an "approved plan"? you dont have to have one. approval letters for personal builds are great to have but totally useless if they decide to turn them over.. which has happened several times.

has my design now been used on several HUNDRED documented Tommy's & countless others who want to remain anon? YES.

did i check with them at every design point and aspect of the design? YES.

has it been inspected when they came to my house for a "field visit"? YES.

did it pass EVERY test they wanted to see? YES

for the last part of your post as it could pertain to my design:

my design is the property of WeaponsGuild.... if ANYONE submits my design or any part of my design which is date/photo/time stamped, licensed to, copyrighted & property of WeaponsGuild.com without my written/signed permission... they will be making a mistake that i will pursue to the very bitter end.

i came up with this design for all the naysayers who said it couldnt be done, couldnt be legal, couldnt be safe..... wasnt affordable.. couldnt be free to use.....

i freely allow anyone who wants to, to use it for: NON PROFIT, personal building only... not submission in way, shape, form, part or section.

it is not & has not EVER been allowed to be submitted by anyone other than myself... its not someone else's to submit... & that would be theft of my design by the agreement of how i allow it to be used.

there is a specific reason why i decided NOT to submit it and it wasnt for any lack of meeting the criteria.

its for the protection of everyone. (anyone who doesnt understand this line can PM/call me for the clarification)

if you have any questions on this just send me a PM.

sdk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

as a member of the Thompson board, there has been lots of discussion on the 16" barrels, the final conclusion is that the Green Mountain barrels are the best and the ones for numrich are out of spec internally and externally just plain junk

so becareful
    Last edited by Sprat; 10-04-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Sprat is totally correct on the barrels... the cheapy's are exactly that. many of them dont even have good enough QC to be used.

Dennis at Green Mountain also made a run of barrels at our reques......t that they now offer which are just under 14" & with the factory cutts compensator stuck on it comes to exactly the 16" requirement instead of having to use the 16"+ barrel and then winding up with that ridiculous looking nearly 20" barrel set up..

Green Mountain is a quality vendor!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.