Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Instead of 7.62x39 going with 7.62x54R?

Feedback Score

Default Instead of 7.62x39 going with 7.62x54R?

Anyone have an AK style gun in both calibers?

I have begun purchasing the flat parts for a scratch built AK.

I got an A$$ load of x54R when it was cheap but never got around to picking up x39 as I did not have a gun chambered for it and would rather go with the round that I have for this build.

I know that the magazine cutout has to be longer and the bolt face is different, but have seen where the receiver was the same length as the x39 AK and the bolt was just shorter to compensate for the space issues of a longer round.
    Also the top cover had a movable extension to help cover the longer hole for the x54R ejection.

Anyone have info on a VEPR 54R style AK build?
    Last edited by archangel; 09-14-2015 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Spell check sucks
    Tommo likes this.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Why not? I have a converted VEPR in 7.62x54R cal. Also have extra aftermarket SGM 10-round mags.

I added a Millet TRS-1 milldot scope. I am shooting a lot of "inexpensive" milsurp Russian and Ukrainian Combloc ammo.
    Tommo and Grounded like this.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I know that the magazine cutout has to be longer and the bolt face is different, but have seen where the receiver was the same length as the x39 AK and the bolt was just shorter to compensate for the space issues of a longer round.
    Also the top cover had a movable extension to help cover the longer hole for the x54R ejection.

Anyone have info on a VEPR 54R style AK build?

Just build as PSL is my first advice . the bolt an carrier are available .

With that said

You will need a PSL barrel or similar an there are not really any good reliable sources for one machined properly in the correct bore it seems . The breach face is pretty special an has a lip that is a bit difficult to machine for most guys .
    Obtaining a barrel that will properly chamber a round have the correct lip area were the extractor runs in regards' to the fact a 54r is a rimmed cartridge an also machined to the correct size so that the other barrel parts fit would be the first concern . Id also suggest one with a .310 or so bore not a 308 Bore that's a bit to tight an will raise chamber pressures an bolt thrust pressures as well as kill accuracy . This is one of the biggest challenges for PSL builders an will be a even bigger one to a AK hybrid . get the chamber, breach face area an bore wrong an you can have a dangerous situation.

The bolt has to be long enough to reach over the mag well an get back to were the hammer has to hit it .
    I know there have been 6.5x55 done on a A AK bolt an that's a longer than 308 round . It might be possible to shorten a PSL bolt an I think its been done for other rounds with a big case head .

the bolt face is way bigger an Im not sure you can open a standard AK bolt up so your likely going to want to buy a PSL bolt .

No reason to modify length of a dust cover. The receiver is standard length so Im not sure what your talking about there . If The distance from the RSB to the rear trunion is the same then the cover length is the same might need a bigger ejection port that's easy .

you need to think long an hard about the bolt thrust an what you feel a AKM trunion can Handel . 7.62x54r has considerably more bolt thrust . Id be looking at a Yugo m70 trunion an then you need a special bulged receiver so your back at might as well just do a PSL cost wise .

your receiver will need a ejector that's moved back the center support will need to be moved back basically every thing that a 308 conversion needs just moved back even more . The FCG will need to be modified to clear the center support . I milled receiver might be a better option or a rewelded M70

do you have a lathe an mill ?
    Tommo likes this.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    do you have a lathe an mill ?
    I wish!

I have an older 8" x (9" plate 90% done) sears belt grinder that I refurbished, a drill press (1890's belt driven automatic tapper that I refurbished), an older sears 9" band saw that I also refurbished), a Lincoln SP170 MIG welder (NEW), basic Oxy Acetylene torch (OLD), and more (new and old) hand tools than the wife would like to know about.

I had purchased a Flat Spot AK receiver kit intending on building myself one that "will not exist".

It was my hope that there were some demilled rifle kits like the AK has, but I was just unable to find them.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

bolt face is waaaay different in size length from the x39 to the 54r.

lots of differences in 54R guns vs x39's.

its just the size/weight of things.

if you made it a quick change barrel gun? then you could swap.. but you would still have to swap bolts too... & then you would have to get it to feed short stubby x39's out of that long 54R mag..

yeah it can be done. but it wont be easy. :-)
    Tommo likes this.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

im here to build stuff.... not cry about "how things used to be"
    YES, i work for TEC Tactical.. 07/02 SOT

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

yes go PSL the receiver is longer and the bolt works, its a big ak, I think saiga makes one
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

intending on building myself one that "will not exist".
    Oh is this some "ghost gun" spooky stuff ???

If you don't want it to exist then Id not post about it on the internet in front of thousands of viewers . LOL No secretes here .

if you made it a quick change barrel gun? then you could swap.. but you would still have to swap bolts too... & then you would have to get it to feed short stubby x39's out of that long 54R mag..
    I don't think hes asking about making one gun to shoot both calibers I think he's asking if any one has separate AKs in each caliber . I think ?? Its sort of worded weird .

Hes got a ass load of ammo also not sure how much a ass load is nor do I wish to find out LOL .

Again my advice is look into a PSL based build but make sure have a barrel lined up first . you will need a barrel no matter what type of build you get . The recivier cost is a drop in the bucket on this type of build

you could also sell some ammo an get 7.62x39 an safe your self a lot of work . A AK in a 54r is a hand full an not a great plinking gun .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

here is part of the puzzle but it does not have a front trunion . it will give you a bolt to work with however .
    15 Piece Romanian PSL/FPK Armorers Kit #DRA-ARM-KIT

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

all you need here is a barrel that's hard to get an a receiver . not cheap .

PSL / FPK Parts Kit Dragunov Set 7.62X54R Matching : Gun Parts Kits at GunBroker.com

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    here is part of the puzzle but it does not have a front trunion . it will give you a bolt to work with however .
    15 Piece Romanian PSL/FPK Armorers Kit #DRA-ARM-KIT
    Something like that is a good start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.