Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: homemade powder coat oven

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default homemade powder coat oven

Thought I would post a few pics of my home made powder coat oven for those interested, also useful for curing guncoat , dura coat and all the other heat cured paints out there.
    I started with an old punch card cabinet that was designed to hold cards for an old NC milling machine since it was double walled and big enough to hang a complete ma duece or mg42 in . I used the shelves to make a couple of doors which are hung with 4 std door hinges from the hardware store . Nothing fancy any old metal cabinet could be insulated and made to work, like a filing cabinet etc. Since my cabinet is double walled I plan to pour the walss with perlite or some other insulating material. I also still need to instal a gasket for the door.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

top pick shows the $1.85 per foot door gasket from mcmaster, bottom pic shows the finished oven after I bent up a sheet metal shell to go around it and hold a bunch of fiberglass insulation in place

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

parkerized and powdercoated my 7.62 bulgarian sidefolder today, forgot to pcoat the gas tube. Nice having an oven big enough to hang lots of stuff in at one time.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

this oven uses the same $35 digital controller and element from ebay, you could just as easily use an old burner from an electric stove as an element

Feedback Score

Between that and the heat treating oven, you are set How much room do you have left in your pole barn? I would have to lose something important like a wood rack or wood lathe to make room for either of those

Feedback Score

Oh man panaceabeachbum, that is very nice.. i have to make one as well. Where did you get the element, controller and bricks?

I'll look up your other threads.

Ovens that size are not cheap.. How are you making sure the convective circulation is good? (i.e. no hot spots)..

Do you also use this oven to pre-heat your parts prior to paint?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

plenty of room in the barn, I doubled the size last winter from 20x40 to 20x80 but I keep collecting more junk so it may not last. Sold my sawmill, now just need to get rid of the jeep and hovercraft and I can really pack some more crap in here LOL.

I have links to all the stuff on the heattreat oven thread. The element is available from budget casting supply for $35 , I bought a pound of the element wire on ebay for $16 delivered which is enough to wind 5 elements and wound my own around a 3/16 drill rod, 14.2 feet of wire 225 coils. The other thread has a link to a source for the wire. I used Kanthal, good for 2350 continious.

The digital pid controller was $35 on ebay including the thermocouple, just search pid temp controller. You also need a solid state relay to handle the current the element draws, $10 for a 25 amp one from the same guy I got the controller from.

Wiring is very simple, two wires for the thermocouple, two wires to switch the solid state relay , hot leg of 110v passes thru the solid state relay , neutral wired to other end of the element and the temp controller needs 110 to power it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twistedneck
    Ovens that size are not cheap.. How are you making sure the convective circulation is good? (i.e. no hot spots)..

Do you also use this oven to pre-heat your parts prior to paint?
    I have baked 5 guns and about as many shop tools in the past week and havent noticed any hot spots, I tried to spread my element out evenly accross the bottom.

It does a great job of preheating, I did a piece with guncoat the other day and heated to 300, then baked for an hour at 375 . All the powder I use bakes between 350 and 400 , I have run the oven upto 600 so far

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.