Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gas piston driven AK in .45ACP

Feedback Score

Default Gas piston driven AK in .45ACP

Has anyone built a gas piston driven AK style rifle in .45acp? I have seen the blow back design, thats not what I am looking for. Has anyone tried this with any sucess?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

can't answer your question but have to ask

joined in 2010 and this is your first post??
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Smile

I really havent been on this forum much but I see im missing alot of good information so im exploring again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprat View Post
    can't answer your question but have to ask

joined in 2010 and this is your first post??

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I would imagine it could be done. the determining factor would be if there is enough gas to run it. its likely going to take a really big port as the 45 has a pretty low chamber pressure . i know there have been gas op 9mm's built so a 45 might be doable

Are there any gas operated 45 firearms ??

If I was going to do a 45 id do a blow back but that's not what your asking ,

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I don't recall ever seeing an AK in 45acp that was gas operated. I have seen a bunch of DI gas operated ar15 builds. If it can be done with the ar15 you can probably do it easier with an ak as you're not limited by the gas port diameter and there is no tube to be worried about. You're going to have to go with the gas port close to the chamber in order for it to cycle the action.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'd have to ask myself the ,,why of one,,, and not so much the how. A 45 ACP AK Platform????? That's a 8lb gun to start not counting the ammo in the mag,plus what ever other crap we all hang on them ,,,,,,,

then you got a 15+ lb 45 ACP !!??? I don't see any real advantage to something like that.

There are much better and lighter options out there IMO than using a AK platform for a 45 round.
    Just saying

Uzi pistols for one come to mind ,,,

Years back I had a 9mm semi with a 12 " barrel and a hollow fake can pined on and a wire stock,, that was a fun gun to bounce gallon jugs around the South Forty with and was half way accurate. A 16" in 45 should shoot pretty good and would be a lighter weight option. Reasonably priced Kits and parts are around and available for those too as well as being a simple build.

If you must have a 45 carbine,,,,that's a good option.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

you could consider that they make a AK in .410, which is similar in case lenght and pressure to 45 LC

the thompson, grease gun, reising, were all blow back
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

it can be done.

as stated the gas port is gonna have to be pretty close to the rear site base..... using the short piston, plus your gonna have to lighten the bolt.

several years back we did 9mm & TOK in gas op & got them to work, so 45acp is doable.

is it better than a blowback in 45 which has been done a lot? NO.

but we do lots of things in this hobby just because we can, not because they make sense or are common.

have at it and post it up.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yea with a bolt , carrier an trunnion running close to $150 alone i would not use stock part to build a firearm that can be made in blow back from a few chunks of steel .
    But hey if you build it were going to like it .

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Pretty much anything could be built if you put enough engineering into it.

This thread almost makes me question if it would be much of a job to build up this PPh43 kit I've got kicking around into a 45 ACP carbine,,,,can't see why not? Then you got a light weight 45 carbine,,,,Hummmmm,,,,,

All this talking has me thinking some, just for shits,,,, I just might look around and see what 16' blanks are around and a trunnion for that wouldn't take shit to make ,,,Hummmmm,,,sounds quite doable.

I might break out that kit and look it over a bit and think on that one a bit more, that wouldn't be a half bad idea,,, in theory. It would take some mag tweaking But I bet they'd fit in the original mag,,have to check it out more, 45 ACP is going to be close to x25 OAL cartridge length wise.

Ya got me cyphering now!!!!
    Last edited by twa2471; 08-19-2014 at 01:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.