Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 300 SAVAGE LOOKS GOOD

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default 300 SAVAGE LOOKS GOOD

I HAVE MENTIONED THE 300 SAVAGE IN THE PAST. THE MORE I LOOK AT THE MORE I LIKE IT. A SAMMI LIMIT OF 47,000 PSI IS ONLY 2000 PSI MORE THEN THE 7.62X39. IT IS SLIGHTLY SHORTER THAN A 308 BUT A 308 MAG WILL LIKLEY WORK AND WOULD ALSO ALLOW FOR LONGER BULLETS SEATED OUT. THE PERFORMANCE IS LOTS BETTER THAN THE X39 AS WELL MY BOOK SHOWS HAND LOADS PUSHING A 150 GRAIN BULLET AT 2741 150 GR LOAD FPS. THIS IS 500 FPS FASTER THAN A X39 AND ONLY 175 FPS SLOWER THAN A 308 WIN. IT WILL ALSO HANDEL 180 GRAIN BULLETS UP TO 2500 FPS! THIS BLOWS THE DOORS OFF THE X39 ROUND AND WILL TAKE DEER AND EVEN ELK IF PROPERLY HIT. IF LOADED TO 308 PRESSURES IT WILL DO EVERY THING A 308 CAN DO AS WELL.

A MAG COULD BE SHORTEND TO ALLOW SLIHTLY MORE TRIGGER GUARD SPACE AS WELL.

WHAT I LIKE IS FACTORY LOADS WOULD LIKELY BE SAFER. THE DOWN SIDE IS MORE EXPENSVIE AMMO AND BRASS IS MORE EXPENSIVE. ANY 308 OR 30-06 AND POSSABLY NON CHROMED 7.62X39 BARREL COULD BE RECHAMBERD ( WOULD RECOMEND .310 BULLTES FOR THE AK BARREL) .

I HAVE A LINE ON A REAMER I MAY PURCHASE. THE 250 SAVAGE IS ANOTHER ONE, THERE ARE VARIOUS WILD CATS AS WELL INCLUDING A 6.5-300 SAVAGE THAT WOULD OUT DO A 6.5 GRENDAL ANY DAY.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

300 Savage, A very good choice. Hits hard and will go on a long mission. Good luck on your project .
    Your in my Mind, and in my Sights

Feedback Score

I have an FAL in 300 Savage. It works fine but the Savage shoulder is a bit sharp. It may not be a problem in the AK, just something to check. It's a great cartridge. I handload it with FMJ and JHP bullets.

Feedback Score

The 25 caliber bullets are short and 6.5 bullets are long. I like the 300 Savage.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Yea im going to have to get a few rounds to play with.

I have an FAL in 300 Savage. It works fine but the Savage shoulder is a bit sharp.
    Did you use the stock FAL mag?? id like to section a g3 or more likley a fal mag to gain some trigger guard and cross member clearance. can 300 savage be formed from 308 brass or 30-06??

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    Yea im going to have to get a few rounds to play with.

Did you use the stock FAL mag?? id like to section a g3 or more likley a fal mag to gain some trigger guard and cross member clearance. can 300 savage be formed from 308 brass or 30-06??
    Yes it uses standard FAL magazines. I didn't convert it. It was made for a country that doesn't allow 308. The factory 300 Savage ammo and most handloads are shorter than max which is only .200" shorter than 308 max but the 300 Savage ammo is usually shorter. I'm not sure it would be worth making a shorter magazine for less than a 1/4 inch. A G3 magazine is better in the AK than an FAL magazine. Maybe even M14 magazines. Shorten some of those cheapo USA M-14 magazines. 300 Savage can be formed from 30-06 and 308. I have done it, just to do it but it is a lot of trimming. Once it's trimmedd it works fine. Case thickness doesn't seem to be problem. The 308 rim is slightly thicker than the 30-06 rim but not by much. The military wanted to strengthen it for auto weapons. IMI 308 cases have rims thicker than military specs for 7.62x51 and can cause problems with tight extractors but not often.

Feedback Score

Using a stamped receiver with a front trunnion the G3 magazine is too wide and wouldn't leave any material in the trunnion, or not enough even thinning the magazine. The FAL magazine also seems wide and it doesn't seem a good choice for a rotating bolt. The M-14 magazine seems the best fit so far.

Feedback Score

Ill play,
    what about a galil in .308 ? thats what Im using on my .308 ak. the front fits the trunion and a filler bar could be instaled for a shorter oal lenth case.
    muttman

Feedback Score

1Biggun a couple decades ago I was in Germany & picked up a M1 grand in 300 Savage because U.S. military calibers were Vobaten, my plan was to rebarrel it to 30-06 but traded it off. It shot as good as an 06 though. I'd love to see an AK in 300 Sav. Xfrog
    Hum - maybe that was Japan, I suffer from CRS - can't remember sh-it now.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by muttman View Post
    Ill play,
    what about a galil in .308 ? thats what Im using on my .308 ak. the front fits the trunion and a filler bar could be instaled for a shorter oal lenth case.
    muttman
    The Galil magazines should work well. I doubt any filler would be required.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.