Thread: Saiga .223 questions

Feedback Score

Default Saiga .223 questions

Looking at getting a new semiauto in .223. I have read something about the Saiga being hard on the brass due to the need for the Russians to mark the fired cases to show if the case came came from a military or civilian weapon.
    I reload for the .223 and am wondering if the damage is bad enough to effect reloading?
    Thanks, -greg

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

You'll have more damage from the dents the cases pick up off the dust cover / charging handle upon ejection.

Feedback Score

In that case there won't be any problems reloading them. I am more concerned with damage around the primer pocket.
    Thanks, -greg

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Like nalioth said, they get dented when they hit the top cover or charging handle when ejected.
    You could try a few rounds and see where it gets dented, if at all, it will either be on the neck or the side of the case. If it's the neck it should straighten out when resizing.
    I've heard of a lot of people having luck with a piece of thin rubber tube that was slit and put on the dust cover by the ejection port.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

I have the .223 and reload. That indentation around the primer is a bitch to reload. It can be done, but the problem comes when you put in a new primer. That pocket needs careful attention as it is somewhat deformed and no longer has a nice shoulder/chamfer in it. You will have to do a chamfer on each round and especially on Federal brass as it is softer.
    Cheers!
    Vern
    http://taurus45acp.com My website, and has links of interest, NRA-ILA feed and profile.

Feedback Score

As far as I know, the Russian Military doesn't use a 223 Saiga. Some of the 7.62x39 models have a step in the chamber that makes a ring on the fired brass, to ID civilian shooters from Military.

The 223 model does have a slightly raised ring around the firing pin though. Not sure if it's to ID things or what. As was mentioned, chamfering the primer pocket for reloading helps.

Corbin

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.