Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Important AR accessories..

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Important AR accessories..

The two most important accessories for the AR rifle after a great trigger and quality magazines are in my opinion, The defender type extractor O ring followed by the receiver rug.. A heavier bolt carrier is also very helpful in cycling the action.. B2B
    Last edited by Bolt2bounce; 05-18-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

B2B, I am still not well versed on the AR platform, having only assembled one M4. Given that I am ignorant on this, could you explain the purpose and benefits over stock, of the extractor o ring, and rug?? Thanks!!! (I'm trying to do some learnin' here. LOL)
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i think there is a lot of "voodo" and "superstition" going on at various AR15 sites.

they say you GOT TO--

run _____ color 0-ring , extractor spring , mc-farland gas ring --and on and on.

i removed the 0-ring and guess what the bastard runs fine, still running the three gaped rings and guess what , she still runs, and i never really bothered to play with extractors or extractor springs cause the stock ones seem to function fine.

i sat through a demo where a LMT M-16 rifle ran with NO rings on the bolt--

i don't think there is much logic going on over there it is just whatever the internet god/guru says,and all his buddies agrees with.

in fact i have seen m4s screwed up after installing such items on advice of whatever guru said you had to have this crap on your m-forgery.

many of the problems these morons are trying to fix came from the 1960s colt XM-177 carbine. it had all manner of problems MAINLY because it had the same gas port as the 20" barreled A1 rifle. colt just cropped a m16 back to 10" bored in the same gas port and EXPECTED it to work--it is a COLT by god!

a modern barrel with the correct sized port gets you out of 98% of the BS that system had. and this applies to SBRs under 16" as well. to me the m4 starts getting in need of a lot of stuff when you get down below 10" or so on the barrel.

if your running a 16" or even a 14.5" with attached extended FH --- you ain't going to need much.

what i do like to have is--
    a m16 carrier,

a properly staked gas key-- this is a very easy DIY job if it ain't staked enough.

and it generally don't hurt to have a H1 buffer though it ain't a must have for all m4 clones.

it don't need a bunch of guru stuff to run . if your gas system is not fouled with a metal shaving it should run great. do yourself a favor and not- fix shit that ain't broke.

all these talking heads on the net will have you believe you got to have all this gold plated shit and then try to get you to buy their brand.

don't buy a thing less there is a REAL need.

just m $ 0.02 from building these things for the last few years.

CEO Macon Armory Inc. Mad-Machinist's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    i think there is a lot of "voodo" and "superstition" going on at various AR15 sites.

they say you GOT TO--

run _____ color 0-ring , extractor spring , mc-farland gas ring --and on and on.

i removed the 0-ring and guess what the bastard runs fine, still running the three gaped rings and guess what , she still runs, and i never really bothered to play with extractors or extractor springs cause the stock ones seem to function fine.

i sat through a demo where a LMT M-16 rifle ran with NO rings on the bolt--

i don't think there is much logic going on over there it is just whatever the internet god/guru says,and all his buddies agrees with.

in fact i have seen m4s screwed up after installing such items on advice of whatever guru said you had to have this crap on your m-forgery.

many of the problems these morons are trying to fix came from the 1960s colt XM-177 carbine. it had all manner of problems MAINLY because it had the same gas port as the 20" barreled A1 rifle. colt just cropped a m16 back to 10" bored in the same gas port and EXPECTED it to work--it is a COLT by god!

a modern barrel with the correct sized port gets you out of 98% of the BS that system had. and this applies to SBRs under 16" as well. to me the m4 starts getting in need of a lot of stuff when you get down below 10" or so on the barrel.

if your running a 16" or even a 14.5" with attached extended FH --- you ain't going to need much.

what i do like to have is--
    a m16 carrier,

a properly staked gas key-- this is a very easy DIY job if it ain't staked enough.

and it generally don't hurt to have a H1 buffer though it ain't a must have for all m4 clones.

it don't need a bunch of guru stuff to run . if your gas system is not fouled with a metal shaving it should run great. do yourself a favor and not- fix shit that ain't broke.

all these talking heads on the net will have you believe you got to have all this gold plated shit and then try to get you to buy their brand.

don't buy a thing less there is a REAL need.

just m $ 0.02 from building these things for the last few years.
    Amen.........couldn't agree more......

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I also agree and Kinos post hits the nail on the head I have been building and shooting ar platforms for years, I have never experienced a problem and find all the add on accessories un -neccessary ( FOR ME). the only add on I have is a aimpoint M-4, & primary arms PAM-3M copy of a M-3 Aimpoint

others may need them though and its good to have spare parts regardless the weapons system

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Thanks 427, MM, and Sprat. Well, I have the M16 carrier in my M4, as I heard the extra weight added to reliability with questionable ammo. The only real upgrades were a more comfortable grip, and a Magpul extended trigger guard. I don't need a Mall Ninja black rifle. I just want it to go bang every time.

427, what's the H1 buffer? That a heavier unit?

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    Thanks 427, MM, and Sprat. Well, I have the M16 carrier in my M4, as I heard the extra weight added to reliability with questionable ammo. The only real upgrades were a more comfortable grip, and a Magpul extended trigger guard. I don't need a Mall Ninja black rifle. I just want it to go bang every time.

427, what's the H1 buffer? That a heavier unit?

it is a tiny bit more heavy than the stock one --they usually run from $10-$20 most places.

the AR-15 has a light weight bolt carrier , the semi auto ones are even lighter. generally the AR-15 will run OK with the AR15 carrier and standard weight buffer.

i don't think the m16 carrier and H1 is a "must have" for a carbine but they down slow down the BCG some and that helps even in semi-only irons.

so these are more like "what i like to have" suggestions--

the AR-15 m-forgery is a do your own thing kind of deal really, fix it to your liking--

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

2nd amendican

keep it simple, I realized there is one accessory I have, they are KNS precision take down and pivot pins, I prefer them over the spring and detent setup but thats me

go with standard Gi mags I prefer 20 rd mags myself, replace the springs if need be and there is no need for the new anti tilt followers in the 20rds. Surplus Gi mags can be had cheaply over in the equipment exchange over at AR-15com w/ real good prices

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i think in todays world the most important accessory is AMMO!

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Thanks guys.

Definitely need more ammo for the M4 and Galil. I've got plenty for the 47's, and 74's, as well as x54r, but I don't have near enough 5.56.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.