Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: how cheap can you go?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking how cheap can you go?

i know i am one of the worst to buy cheap AR stuff.

lately i have been on a cheap-o binge on buying AR parts.

so far i have done very well. i all ways double check everything and assemble everything myself. if i was forced to buy from some shady company i would probably tear down their upper and check everything--just to be sure.

there are pitfalls to going to cheap. when you start buying AR-15 parts from the bottom feeders on the market you are rolling the dice.

the most critical things are the barrel and the bolt carrier group. if these two parts arn't correct you can end up like the photos.

canted front sight/gas blocks are pretty common and usually can be fixed fairly easy.

improper chambering, gas ports drilled through into both sides of the barrel are pretty common ails for the bottom feeder AR-15 kits and generally arn't fixable without a barrel swap.

another thing that worries me about the very low end sellers in their bolt carriers. improper heat treating, out of size --lots of things that can go 'boom" in the night--LOL

if you are lucky you can get away with a bottom feeder build. if your not so lucky you likely spend more getting the thing up and running than it is worth.

my advice is spend that extra $50-$80 on a known quality kit from well established vendor.

saving that $50 is it really worth the trip to the ER?--LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

That's not one of your is it?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

no it ain't one of mine-- it was shipped as a complete top end. the owner slapped it on his lower and started shooting at the 80th shot she blew apart--

don't ask what brand as i know they got a few fans here.

it is what i consider the bottom of the barrel of the low $$ makes.

they have sold many a kit that did OK, a few that had problems and a few like these that nearly cased a 911 call--

for once i got to agree with the ninjas --a ninja like a stopped clock is right twice a day--LOL!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile Ah hell.

Do like they do in Africa with AKs. Smash that bolt back in with a hammer.
    Couple of wraps of duct tape. Should be fine.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Was it an OOB since the bolt lugs and seats still look intact (for the most part) where the bolt was pushed down inside of the carrier which split at the cam pin slot?

Another Day In Paradise DiabloII's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

u can buy from a top notch dealer but not all of em make there own stuff in house.

hence it comes from somewhere and it could very well be the bottom of the barrel ar parts just so they can buy em cheap and resell em with there market price.

so if u don't really know if the work is done in house , then u might end up anything.
    buying up all the guns and ammo i can just to PISS OFF the douche bag liberals

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Point well taken j427x....

There are some real bottom feeders out there. I have dealt with a number of them.

I will follow your lead and not name the names.

I will say that I am pretty impressed with DSA and Del-Ton. The prices are higher, but in line with the bottom feeders, and rarely are more than $90 higher on similar kits or uppers.

Sorry that your buddy had a bad experience. Please PM me with the vendor name. I really want to know.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Note to self. Stop buying junk parts.

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    Sorry that your buddy had a bad experience. Please PM me with the vendor name. I really want to know.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

COME ON! COME ON! 4th, were PROFESSIONALS HERE, do it the right way,use a HOSE CLAMP for Gods sake!!!!! Everyone knows the duct tape is for sealer underneath!! Chuckle Chuckle Any parts I plan to buy are going to be DPMS anyhow I think. I don't need to be convinced about cut rate stuff, the picture says it all. I've never found cut rate parts to be worth the efforts expended in just making them work right anyhow, no less the safty/reliability factor. Like I always say buy the best you can afford, and your not usually not disapointed. I'm wanting to do a nice match grade 20" bull bbl upper for the bushey. But you can damn near get there best one done for about the same or less direct from DPMS as to build one. So I'm not sure which way to go. I don't remember the brand right now but I saw a super tuned, fluted match chamber bbl, comp,fancy boron bolt assy, carbon fiber tube, "the works" one somewhere that was like a 1000ish, I think you'd be hard pressed to build one for that by the looks of prices for the comprible parts sold seperatly. What you guys think that do these all the time, is that about right??

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    COME ON! COME ON! 4th, were PROFESSIONALS HERE, do it the right way,use a HOSE CLAMP for Gods sake!!!!! Everyone knows the duct tape is for sealer underneath!! Chuckle Chuckle Any parts I plan to buy are going to be DPMS anyhow I think. I don't need to be convinced about cut rate stuff, the picture says it all. I've never found cut rate parts to be worth the efforts expended in just making them work right anyhow, no less the safty/reliability factor. Like I always say buy the best you can afford, and your not usually not disapointed. I'm wanting to do a nice match grade 20" bull bbl upper for the bushey. But you can damn near get there best one done for about the same or less direct from DPMS as to build one. So I'm not sure which way to go. I don't remember the brand right now but I saw a super tuned, fluted match chamber bbl, comp,fancy boron bolt assy, carbon fiber tube, "the works" one somewhere that was like a 1000ish, I think you'd be hard pressed to build one for that by the looks of prices for the comprible parts sold seperatly. What you guys think that do these all the time, is that about right??
    I have been thinking about how best to respond to the thoughts on this thread. Here are the steps that I normally follow when I order a parts kit or upper for an AR pattern Rifle....

1. Lay out all of the parts. Make sure they are all there.
    2. Disassemble the major components to the field strip level and inspect the finish, shape, and mating surfaces.
    3. Use a go, no-go, and field gauge set on the upper. You can use a factory loaded round as a go gauge.
    4. If possible, assemble the trigger group parts into a known good lower to test the lock-up and function of the bits and pieces. This takes 15-20 min at most.
    5. Now assemble ALL of the new bits into the target lower, and test for function.

This method works about 95% of the time. It will not reveal things like an f'd up chamber, deep drilled gas port, out of true barrel, etc.

Personally, I have had good luck with kits from vendors like Bushmaster, DPMS, Del-Ton, DSarms, and even Blackthorn and Model 1 Sales. I have also had issues, mostly with the trigger group components. In one case, I had a bad chamber (not headspace) with a Blackthorn kit. This issue could not be handled under warranty because we had put more than 500 rounds down range before the issue turned critical....So, that kit cost an additional $155 for a replacement barrel. Works great now. That was one out of 9 kits purchased....

As with any purchase, you need to know what you are buying. If you are not proficient at measuring the parts, then maybe it would be best for you to spend the extra $80-100 to ensure that your parts are in spec.

Just my $0.02

Regards,
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.