Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Digging in for Judgment Day

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Digging in for Judgment Day

Digging in for Judgment Day

OTTAWA - When the lights have gone out and the road warriors rule a post apocalyptic world, survivalists plan to live up to their namesakes: Survive.

With the end of the Mayan (2012) calendar approaching, the threat of terrorist attacks and a wobbly world economy - disaster preparation is becoming increasingly serious.

“If lights went out tomorrow, it really wouldn't affect us that much,” said Jim Rawles, a former U.S. Army Intelligence Officer, now an author and editor of the major website SurvivalBlog.com which gets 270 thousand visits per week. “Not like your average suburbanite who is suddenly going to be faced with the prospect of either freezing to death in the dark or fleeing to go live with country cousins, that is, hopefully they have them, otherwise they are out of luck.”

Rawles lives West of the Rockies in the United States.

“I took the key step, which is moving my family to a lightly populated area, we have a river that runs through the back end of our property, we are more than twenty miles from the nearest town, with irrigated pasture land, a very large scale garden, and livestock.”

Rawles says when preparing to defend your home and family after civilization collapses, balance and planning are key.

“Owning five guns and several thousand rounds of ammunition and only a three or four month supply of food is not balanced preparedness,” said Rawles, who urges preppers build alliances and plans with neighbours and other families. “There's just no way that an individual family is going to be able to provide 24/7, 360 degree security for their family and yet still have time to do things like intensive gardening.”

When planning for life after The End Of The World As We Know It (TEOTWAWKI) survivalists urge people to think thoroughly.

“Canned foods are already cooked and stored in small portions so they are ideal for a bunker, but it is critical that you rotate your food, eat the oldest first,” said Sterling Silverman, the “Survival Doc” from the New Survivalist website. He recommends keeping livestock even if you are in a city. “I raise Florida White rabbits because they are a very compact, meaty rabbit, they produce a lot for their weight and they can live in smaller cages.” He hides the hutches in his urban garage.

In the end, if it comes, Rawles says Canadians have a better chance.

“For Canadians, especially (those in ) western Canada, there is the value of geographic isolation and a lighter population density,” said Rawles. “While some people might look at the Canadian climate as a minus, I would look at it as a plus, it's going to keep the riff-raff from the United States from even thinking about heading into Canada to go on a looting spree - they are just not prepared for Canadian winters.”

Minimum survivalist checklist for staying put:

* Non-perishable food
    * Clean drinking water
    * Firearms and Ammunition
    * Medical supplies and Medications
    * Power supply: bio-diesel generator, solar panels
    * Heat, chopped wood with stove
    * Hand Tools
    * Transportation
    * Guard dogs
    * Secured house or bunker
    * Allied neighbours & family
    * Transport – older car or horses
    * Communication: ham radios, walkie-talkies
    * Knowledge
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Yeap, once ISRAEL goes in to stop GAZA from shelling them, I think it will be the start of the END. It is a state of WAR in Southern ISRAEL now.

That time is just about here folks. Say some prayers and be set to go. Because some surprises will be in store for all of us across the world.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score

He who lives wins, I think.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

If you want to call it living, well OK?
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by MUSIBIKE View Post
    If you want to call it living, well OK?
    Exactly. If there is a post apocalyptic world and there are "survivors" dependent on their stores of food, medicine, hygiene supplies, guns and ammunition...what then? When those supplies run out will their survival too?

Will the living envy the dead? Because if there is no plans for what to do after the stockpiles run out then all that has happened is the postponing of the inevitable.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

to address what's coming, it's a shot in the dark.

Pole shift, Asteroid impact, Nuclear holocaust.
    Volcanic explosion, Earth shifting itself/herself into
    the 4th dimension. Engineered plague,
    Getting fried by space platform particle beams.
    Weather manipulated disaster. Chinese army invasion.
    Alien invasion.

A Scout is always prepared.

What was the name of Michael Jackson's doctor?

hah! Merry Christmas
    Charter member-Busted Box Club est. 2006

"I will adhere to the Patriot Act, the one signed in 1776"
    - Marc Anderson

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

The plan has to be a phased one.

Phase 1. Prep for the first three months.

Phase 2. Prep to live without all of the infrastructure.

Phase 3. Execute and grow your own.

Phase 4. Defend what you have, and take in those who can help.

Phase 5. Be fruitful, and multiply.

Just my $0.02.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Exactly. If there is a post apocalyptic world and there are "survivors" dependent on their stores of food, medicine, hygiene supplies, guns and ammunition...what then? When those supplies run out will their survival too?

Will the living envy the dead? Because if there is no plans for what to do after the stockpiles run out then all that has happened is the postponing of the inevitable.
    You're right. Need to think about sources of water and ways to purify it. need to think about seed banks. Then again if you are at the epicenter of the disaster? Maybe you could see it coming in time to bail with some of your essentials. Some planning needs ot be on getting restarted with some day to day upkeep. I can't picture anyone enjoying sitting around eating "survival food" with the plan that when the food runs out "we're all going to starve to death" - Well maybe some getto people that do that already.
    I'd rather be a "has been" than a wannabe!

2TIMOTHY2,4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairsof this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

God, Guns and Guts made America free,
    Lets keep all three.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by XSapper View Post
    You're right. Need to think about sources of water and ways to purify it. need to think about seed banks. Then again if you are at the epicenter of the disaster? Maybe you could see it coming in time to bail with some of your essentials. Some planning needs ot be on getting restarted with some day to day upkeep. I can't picture anyone enjoying sitting around eating "survival food" with the plan that when the food runs out "we're all going to starve to death" - Well maybe some getto people that do that already.
    To me the fact that depending on the type of apacolyptic event there may be no growing of food. What if it is a nuclear event? Not a nuclear bomb but a dirty bomb that contaminates everything. Or a biological or chemical event? Thse things would prohibit the growing of food for extended periods. So how much do we store? A year? Five years? Forever?

And while we can possiby grow or hunt food, what about medicine? Even the simple ones like Ibuprofen, aspirin, pseudophedrine, stuff for colds, the flu, toothaches, and antiseptics? Let alone the millions that need prescriptions or they die.

It's all well and good to hide in an underground bunker with 5 years of spam and Diet Mountain Dew and 300,000 rolls of toilet paper as long as you remain healthy. Quite another if you have pre-existing health issues like diabetes, or asthma, or some other disease that needs long term prescriptions to survive.

The more I think about this the more complicated "Survival" becomes...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

remember the ARC?

a flooded ammo and arms pillbox ain't gonna be no help in a katrina type of flood!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.