Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jimraynor21

Thread: AK63D Triple Threat Build

Feedback Score

Default AK63D Triple Threat Build

Well guys its finally time. I mentioned that I was going to start this thread in one of the christmas discussions so here we go. I bought my two best friends AK63D kits for christmas. Besides being awesome people they helped me out tremendously this year between wrecking my car and transitioning into my new well-paying job. They are both avid gun nuts as it is and I really wanted to do something special for them. They've wanted to do AKs for a long time but have also had lots of little things come up to stop them from having the extra cash I decided to go all out. I also received the same kit thanks to my amazing wife. This will be my second build so I will be providing my limited knowledge/guidance to them. They have both known me long enough to know how I feel about following the law so I will be leading by example and are aware I wont lay a finger on their receivers once we get started.

The top kit is my friend Bobs(for the sake of anonymity), mine is the 2nd pic. Bobs kit looks to be much more used than mine and our friends(we'll call him Zolt), however he has some really cool engraving on the pistol grip and foregrip. I was blown away at the quality of Zolt/my kit. Top cover/bolt/bolt carrier #s match on all 3 kits, the wood and finish on Zolts/my kit are amazing. I told Bob I felt bad his wasnt as nice but its definitely in his character to have an apocalyptic looking kit so he wasnt disappointed.

We got all 3 of our kits demilled last weekend(those long rivets are a PITA!! ) and ordered up the rest of the parts to start this weekend.

Got mostly everything from AK-builder but Atlantic had these chrome lined barrels for $99 plus $12 to ship all 3 so it was kind of a no-brainer. Decided to go with the Polish blanks since we are not too keen on using Bobs press yet and I didn't want to risk us destroying flats since we're still all recovering from Christmas spending. I did my first build on a Polish blank and it has held up to well over 1500 rounds with questionable heat treating. We purchased a container of that Cherry Red stuff after reading good things about it on here and on weaponsguild, so thats what we will be using to treat the FCG holes and ejector tips.

The 3 piece receiver pictured with the barrels is from jack squats flatspot. We were going to spring for Curtis's polish blank jig but we all received new drill bit kits for christmas, so I suggested we save some money and use the flat kit as a stencil for the holes. Im going to measure them out first but its a quality piece. We will be using a good old harbor freight flux to weld in the rails, and I am fairly confident in my welding but Im going to wait til one of us gets a mig and possibly make a usable receiver out of the flat kit at a later date.

As far as compliance pieces we are doing US made muzzle brakes, the barrels, Tapco FCG and receiver. Bob just got a 20ton press a few months ago so it will finally get a good workout. Plenty of brand new drill bits, a well working drill press, the flux welder and some custom plates for doing the rivets shall be our tools. The only thing we didn't order were the pistol grip reinforcement plates. We all agreed that our fabrication skills are plenty adequate to make our own out of some scrap as opposed to spending another $30-40 for them.

My plan is for us to get our barrels populated and headspaced(glad I kept my gauges!) tomorrow night, and maybe start some receiver work depending how much beer we drink. Theres a good chance we may have at least one working firearm at the end of sunday, but we will see. Bob and Zolt have equal if not superior fabricating/mechanical skills compared to me due to their trades so I expect some nice AKs will result from our labor(especially after hammering my first build together with absolute minimalist tools). I will keep this thread updated as we go and I will take many more pics.
    TRX and Tommo like this.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Gunco Good ole boy 2ndAmendican's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Sounds like fun! Nice kits.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Good on you, Jim!
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score

Well guys the three of us have been busy. Zolt and I were busy on our guns, Bob has been working way too much so he still has a lot left to do but I told him he'll end up with the nicest gun since we made all the mistakes for him.

Zolt and I ran into problems with our front sights. For some reason they were oversize or the barrels we purchased were undersized as far as the journals go. Bobs fit press-tight so we're not exactly sure which it was. But we got the sights lined up and drilled through the bottom of them just a bit(to expose the barrel), pinned them, then did some little plug welds where the end of the cleaning rod sits to ensure they did not move.

Although the MAPP did work to get the receivers hot enough it was taking forever. Zolt ended up borrowing an oxy/acet setup from a coworker and well...as Im sure you guys know that sped up the process quite a bit LOL.

This is Zolts gun almost finished and then done. It turned out absolutely fantastic IMO for being his very first one. Underfolder works smooth, mags lock up very tight. We made custom plates to do some of the rivets, used the trusty bolt-cutter method on the short guys and made a tube/ram setup for the long rear rivet/center supports. He did all the work himself, I was only there as a resource and I think he did a mighty fine job having only done some light gunsmithing/refinishing before tackling this.

This is mine. I threw the black grip on as a last US part before going to the range/taking pics. I actually really like the look of it so Im up in the air on whether or not to replace the muzzle brake/piston or just leave it as is. I think the paracord looks cool but I also wrapped it as to not destroy the nicely finished handguard. I also must say Im very pleased with the way the rivets turned out compared to my first cave-man hammered-ass receiver.

Im sure some veteran eyes will notice Im missing rivets in the rear of mine. We had a hell of a time figuring out tooling to do the short rivets in the rear trunnion and butchered Zolts a little bit so I ended up just welding those 4 holes from inside the receiver on mine.

Zolt and I ran out to the range earlier this week and his gun is running 100% perfect. Mine on the other hand was absolutely killing primers and hitting so deep that it wasnt extracting every case reliably. I took a closer look at it and the firing pin has got some very sharp/blocky edges on it typical with those symptoms. I swapped the pin out of my first build into the Hungarian but I havent brought myself to go back up to the range yet since it feels like single digits with the current windchill. Im pretty confident that somehow I got a shitty pin and I might try to sand it a bit but I also ordered a new one from Curtis. Ill try to post a video of shooting it when I go test the newly swapped pin.

I need to grind down the weld inside the bottom of the front sight on mine a bit more(you can see my cleaning rod bending ever so slightly) but damn I am happy with the way these turned out!

I once again have to thank all of you guys and gunco for making these possible. Without all of the input/feedback/info/resources/welcoming attitudes these wouldnt exist!

Ill update again once Bob gets his ass moving but heres mine original and the new one posing together. Now to decide what to do next..

Edit: So I did take the gun back out and its hitting the primers appropriately now. I genuinely though the firing pin was getting stuck in the empty cases and that was why it wasnt ejecting every round. Now I'm 99% sure that my gas block isnt quite lined up over the predrilled gas port. Im going to investigate it further later on.
    Last edited by jimraynor21; 01-31-2015 at 03:16 PM.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score

If you want to do a full heat treat a HF weed burner works great. $19.99 for non electric start and $29.99 for the electric start. They throw a lot of heat.
    Propane Torch
    Propane Torch with Push Button Igniter

Gunco Good ole boy 2ndAmendican's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

They look great Jim! Good on you guys. Only problem is that now you'll want to build one of every variant ever made. LOL.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Thank you sir.

It really is addicting, especially now that I can afford to buy more than one kit per year haha. I want to do a SBR krink clone in the worst way. I may settle for an AK74 with the sidefolder for now....decisions decisions.

We are gonna try to get Bob rolling again tomorrow night.

― Jeff Cooper

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.