Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Finished my Polymer80 G150.. Disappointed!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Finished my Polymer80 G150

Well, let me start off with the receivers good points.
    It was simple to complete with the drill press, jig and bits provided with the kit
    It only took about a hour to complete.
    Once the edges are debured the machining looks ok.

Now for the not so good to bad parts.

First, there is a production/design problem with the selector.
    I'm not sure if the receivers selector detent hole is off or the jig is off, but the selector positions are misaligned.
    When on safe the selector lever is not parallel with the bore.
    When the selector is moved to the fire position, it rotates past the 6 o'clock position to about the 7 o'clock position .

The slot provided for the bolt release catch is to wide and has excessive wobble.
    This could probably be fixed with a washers/spacers on both sides of the catch lever.
    Also, the little set screw that holds in the bolt catch retainer pin is a MO FO to thread in.

The buffer tube detent hole is too tight, when I installed the buffer and pushed the detent down, it stuck and was a b**ch to get it back up.
    I reamed the hole a bit and fixed the sticking issue.

The take down pins are slightly off, when installing the lower to the upper, the rear take down pin does not align very good with the uppers holes and requires considerable force to push it through, or to push out.

All in all...probably will work, but they still need some design refinements worked out before I would consider them comparable to an aluminum lower.

Pics are of the misaligned selector in safe and fire position and the to large bolt catch slot.

Shooter

PICT1336 (924x1024).jpg (202.97 kB, 924x1024 - viewed 4 times.)

PICT1338 (767x792).jpg (192.47 kB, 767x792 - viewed 3 times.)

PICT1334 (1024x768).jpg (188.98 kB, 1024x768 - viewed 5 times.)
    Last edited by Shooter17; 10-31-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Feedback Score

Hey this is Loran Kelley, I own Polymer80.

The new material of the Phoenix 2 does make for tight rear takedown holes, if you take a 1/4 drll bit and reem the LEFT side towards the forward position it will solve that problem, we are aware and fixing this issue on future units on our end.

Regarding the safety selector position this not normal and infact the first I have heard of it. I could not see the images you posted here. Can you please send them to: loran@polymer80.com and I will assess them. if this infact a defect, we have a lifetime warranty and we will honor it. The buffer detent issue is news to me as well. You may have gotten a bad unit, and again if the issues with that particular unit are interfering with satisfactory functionality and performance, this is not acceptable to us either and we will replace the unit at no charge.

Please let me know. Thanks!

Loran Kelley
    CEO, Polymer80, inc.
    707-346-0075

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

shooter,
    The pic links do not work. If you need help posting them contact me.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

I had to log in to weaponsguild before clicking on the pics from the OP.

So to make it easier for those that might not be weaponsguild members to see the pics, here they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Loran,

I appreciate your response and your willingness to stand by your product.

I went back and checked the 3/8" selector hole and it lines up perfectly with the jig.
    But...The detent hole is forward of the 6 o'clock position at the bottom of the selector hole.
    Hopefully, the new pics post properly.
    I am not sure of the cause, possibly one of the locations are slightly off, the lowers detent hole or the jigs selector hole.

I have already fixed the issues with the bolt catch release lever slot and the selector detent hole and the buffer tube detent hole.
    For the bolt catch, I made a small spacer/washer to shim it.
    The selector detent hole was filled with polycarbonate rod/glue and redrilled at the 6 o'clock.

All now function properly.

The to wide bolt catch slot and the safe position of the selector lever.

The selector in the fire position.

The detent hole position in the selector hole.

Location of the selector hole.

The bolt catch shim and the safe position of the selector after relocating the detent hole.

Looking forward to getting to the range for the real test of the lower.

Thanks
    Shooter

Feedback Score

OK this is the Pheonix edition. We are about to launch the Phoenix2 which is our own polymer blend we developed in house.

I am glad to see all is functioning properly. I have never seen a safety selector do that.

The bolt catch slot on the Phoenix units was a bit wide and that has been fixed on the Phoenix2.

Keep me posted on your shooting!

Thanks!
    -Loran
    Ftwash likes this.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

this is great customer service & very good to see.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

YES, i work for TEC Tactical.. 07/02 SOT

Feedback Score

I'd like to mention that I have a GEN2 G150 and it has the exact same defects, selector goes past position it should, rear take down is 1 millimeter behind the proper location and buffer detent not finished causing detent to stick. Also the allen nut provided was a pain to get in as stated. I have contacted Ares so we will see if they can help correct this issue.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    this is great customer service & very good to see.
    You dang skippy!! Very refreshing to see in todays consumer marketplace.

Good on you Loran for standing behind your product!
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

These lowers just showed up in Canada a little while ago. Gonna do one or two so thanks for posting your experiences.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.