Thread: RJF AR-15 Barrel

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Default RJF AR-15 Barrel

I picked up an AR-15 barrel today @ the gunshow & when I got it home, I found out that it had two (2) factory gas ports drilled into the barrel...

One is in the correct place & the other is 5/8" forward of the correct one! Returning it is out of the question as that is three hours South of me to go back & try to find the vendor. My question/proposal is to plug the incorrect hole, not to enter the bore & TIG weld the top of the plug to repair the otherwise excellant barrel & use it as a truck gun. The weld will be very small weld puddle & be between the FSB journels. What do you guys think on this matter!

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

A small TIG weld over a plug would not be a safety issue, but I would not do it to anything that I wanted to be accurate.

Feedback Score

Providing the gas block covers the other hole, I would JB Weld the hole and let it go. The JB Weld, even if it creeps a bit into the barrel, will conform to the lands and grooves once fired (as long as you don't fill the barrel with it)

Just my 2
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Johnny_V

CEO Macon Armory Inc. Mad-Machinist's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

If you have a gas block that covers both......shoot it......having done the swiss cheese barrel during prototype development .......the extra hole will fill with carbon and form a plug so dense you'll have to drill it out......

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Machinist View Post
    If you have a gas block that covers both......shoot it......having done the swiss cheese barrel during prototype development .......the extra hole will fill with carbon and form a plug so dense you'll have to drill it out......
    Agreed..........
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Johnny_V

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I'll have to press an interference fit pin in it, surround the site with a heat absorbing material & quickly plug weld the pin over. It is not covered by the FSB, but falls between the two bases that lock the FSB to the barrel! Thanks for your replys!

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Could you just replace the fsb with a clamp on or setscrew type that doesn't have a raised center section?

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.