Great idea !
For those of you that didn't catch the origins of this build idea in the other threads, here's the current configuration.
Not much new for details here yet other than what was already mentioned in the other threads. I'm still hunting some (a lot) of parts to complete this build. I do have a few parts on hand already so I decided to start fabricating some of the custom pieces from them.
I measured the RSB and front trunnion and marked where I wanted to remove metal. First I hacked the bottom of the RSB off and levelled the bottom edge on the belt sander. I also removed and levelled the top where the ears for the rear sight leaf were. Next I cut out the middle and belt sanded the front and rear pieces until they were the correct legnth. I made it so the top cover wouldn't have to be modified to fit when the forward edge is lined up with the front of the trunnion.
Next the two pieces will be welded together and then the top and sides ground/filed back down till they are flush. Once that's done, I'll clamp it to the top of the trunnion and see where I need to make a notch for the bottom of the gas tube.
I already cut the Yugo RPK barrel in half and rough cut some of the cooling fins off where it will be rethreaded. I don't have a bore dial indicator at home so I'll have to make the final cuts at school. I still also need to cut off the chamber end of the barrel about halfway through the RSB area to get the overall legnth I want. Then I can rechamber and reprofile the barrel.
I also got a Krink cone muzzle brake and cut it down to the approximate size I wanted. I can't do much more with it until I get the barrel finished though.
This is going to be a (very) long term project. The biggest factor will be the time needed to find and make the custom parts.
More to come later...
Great idea !
Looks like a good start. Great to see a custom build get started. Makes my poor brain work overtime on what I want to build next. Great job.
ahhh finally the krinkenstein build has started!!
hey you could use that bolt you didn't end up needed for your stepsons build, that is if it fints in your yugo carrier. can't wait to see your modded wood when you do it
I can picture what your going for. Way Cool. Good luck with the build.
You got to love a guy with a lathe & imagination
I got someone to TIG the two little pieces together for me at school today. I brought it home and ground and sanded the welds down until they were flush with the top and sides. I also blended the bevel on the top side and removed any rough edges from the piece. Next I rotated the lever across the side of the part to make a mark where I wanted the stop detent. I milled the detent for the gas tube lock lever with a small ball end mill and then sand blasted the part.
Here's how it looks right now:
I'll post more later as I get more done.
This is going to be a very cool build.