Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: .50 Beowulf?

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default .50 Beowulf?

I'd been planning to do a .50 Beowulf AK with a bent receiver, but a milled Chinese receiver is now laying on my workbench. It's part of some kind of training/DEWATS rifle; the barrel is welded up, the top cover has a few short (and pretty!) TIG welds anchoring it to the receiver, and it's missing the bolt and carrier.

I'll need the following:

.50 barrel

7.62x39 bolt to match the Beowulf case head

bolt carrier and operating rod

.223 magazine (may require some "adjustment" according to the AR15 sites)

modified or full-custom RSB, gas block, and FSB - the .50 barrel would have to be thinned unworkably to match the OEM bits. Though machining them from scratch is okay, I might cheat, saw the rings off, and weld or silver solder them to appropriate-sized tubes

At the moment, the only real point of uncertainty is the barrel attachment - it appears to be threaded into the receiver. I know I saw a chart around somewhere that gave the thread specs, but darned if I can find it now...

Anyone see anything major I've overlooked? Other than the gas and sight blocks, it looks fairly easy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sounds like you have a good plan with the parts. The use of a larger diameter ring will probably be required if the enlarged gas block is thin enough to fail from the stresses of the gas pressure.

Meeper (on FALFILES) did this caliber a few years ago based on a SAR.

Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

get a hold of a L1A1 gas block its .687 aprox and can be opend up a little more this will give you adjustability as wella s shut off. this might give you enough room for a .50 barrel. the Rsb just gut the old one off and weld it to a sleave or a square bored out. thats what I did on my heavy barrel varmit build and am doing on the 444?????.

the barrel pin has got to be getting close to the chamber so watch out for that on a press in barrel build. you mentioned you have a threaded trunion there are a few ways to go here you can bore it out to a more common thread that either a savage or remington or winchester bolt action use and then have a barrel blank threaded by any smith. or figure out what is original and have a machinest do it or a really good gun smith. I cant do some metric threads on my lathe. another option is bore it out smooth and make it a press in barrel and at the same time move the pin up a little for clearance to the chamber (if it is nessacary). look really close at the 500 S&W build he treaded a press in barrel trunion and made it threaded barrel build. he gives a few detailes on the AK forum. that is a really nice build BTW. have you considerd a AR mag addapter so you can use AR 50 beowulf mags????

persoanly I like the 450 bushmater or the 458 socom better. the socom uses rifle bullits and the 450 bm uses 45 pistol bullets but bolth have alot more selection and options than the beowulf. they hold a few more rounds in the mag as well. good luck on the .50 beowulf build.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

some 20 guage Saiga blocks would be nice for this project but good luck finding them. I have been looking for a few years.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

> the barrel pin has got to be getting close to the chamber
    > so watch out for that on a press in barrel build.

I can't find a pin, so I'm assuming the barrel is threaded. Personally, I like the pressed barrel idea. If the chamber diameter looks iffy for the original threads, I'll probably open it up for a pressed barrel and drill for a pin.

> have you considerd a AR mag addapter so you can use AR
    > 50 beowulf mags????

No, I didn't think of that. What it is, a sheet metal magwell I could weld to the AK receiver?

> persoanly I like the 450 bushmater or the 458 socom
    > better.

Back last summer I had decided to build a "brush gun" out of a 1917 Enfield I had on hand. Short barrel, big low-velocity cartridge I could use with cast bullets. I was searching Google on ".45-70" and "Enfield", and for some reason it returned Pookie's .45-70 AK thread here. After marveling that someone would be demented enough to do such a thing, I spent the next several months reading, acquired a Romy kit, made the bending and press jigs, etc. I've drunk the Kalashnikov Kool-Aid...

Since I intend to cast my bullets, they're all the same price. Beowulf brass is about the same price as, or even slightly cheaper than, .45-70 brass. The best price I've found on a .50 barrel is about triple that of a .45-70. Can't win 'em all... after studying Pookie's magazine hassles, it looks like the Beowulf would be much easier since it uses a .223 magazine.

I was reluctant to consider the Beowulf at first due to Alexander Arms' psycho-yuppie BS, but it's not like I'm dependent on them for a chambering reamer. If a .50AE reamer won't do, I'll either make one or send the barrel out and have it done on a CNC lathe. If the Beowulf doesn't become popular - frankly, I doubt it'll take off - a few gross of brass should do me for the forseeable future, or at least until the new wears off...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    I was searching Google on ".45-70" and "Enfield", and for some reason it returned Pookie's .45-70 AK thread here. After marveling that someone would be demented enough to do such a thing, I spent the next several months reading, acquired a Romy kit, made the bending and press jigs, etc. I've drunk the Kalashnikov Kool-Aid...
    Yeah its amazing some of the crap people think of doing!

I'm really REALLY close to being able to spend some quality time on this one. Chamber reamer is on order. Finally.

I'm with 1biggun, I think the 450 Bushmaster will be the most prevalent of the rounds because it has Bushmaster and Hornady driving it. The SOCOM coming in close behind it. If Alexander Arms would get off their keister and "release" the cartridge spec without the licensing BS then it would really take off. Too much greed is keeping that one grounded. I think they are holding out for military contracts, but frankly I just don't see it really taking off.

Nice thing about the 450 brass is that it can be done up fairly easy since it is cut-down .284 brass (as I recall it is .284 but I am going from memory)

Look on my topic about "intermediate 45 and 50 cartridges" for some other candidates. There is a .499 LWCS (again going from memory) that was designed by a spin-off of the Beowulf design team. It looks marginally stronger in performance than the Beowulf and may be worth consideration.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I can't find a pin, so I'm assuming the barrel is threaded. Personally, I like the pressed barrel idea. If the chamber diameter looks iffy for the original threads, I'll probably open it up for a pressed barrel and drill for a pin.
    CORRECT YOU HAVE A MILLED RECIVER AND LIKELY A VERY SOUGHT AFTER. PLEASE POST SOME PICTURES OF THIS AND IF THERE ARE ANY MORE AVALIABLE WERE CAN THEY BE FOUND (PM ME ON THAT ONE ) i AM CURIOUS HOW A ORIGINAL FACTORY RECIVER WOULD NOT HAVE THE THIRD PIN HOLE??? YOU GOT TO POST SOME PICTURES HERE. pLEASE. YOUR RECIVER WILL NEED A 223 LENGTH MAG WELL BTW WHAT WAS THIS DUMMY GUN ORIGINALY????

No, I didn't think of that. What it is, a sheet metal magwell I could weld to the AK receiver?
    THE ADAPTER FITS JUST LIKE A REGULAR MAG AND THEN THE AR 223 MAG FITS INSIDE THAT. THE ADAPERS ARE PRICEY BUT THERE OUT THERE ALSO THERE ARE REPORTS OF AFTERMARKET ONES BEING AVALIABLE.

Since I intend to cast my bullets, they're all the same price. Beowulf brass is about the same price as, or even slightly cheaper than, .45-70 brass. The best price I've found on a .50 barrel is about triple that of a .45-70. Can't win 'em all... after studying Pookie's magazine hassles, it looks like the Beowulf would be much easier since it uses a .223 magazine.
    COMPARING THE 458 SOCOM OR THE 450 BUSH MASTER TO THE 45-70 IS NOT REALLY APPLES TO APPLES. THE 45-70 HOLDS A TON MORE POWDER AND CAN BE LOADED WAY PAST THE SMALLER ROUNDS. HOW EVER WITH LEAD BULLETS IT IS A CLOSER COMPARISON. THE 45-70 CAN NOT REALLY BE BUILT ON EASLY OBTAINED AK PARTS AND BUILD ISSUES. i CANT WAIT FOR hc TO GET GOING ON HIS.

I was reluctant to consider the Beowulf at first due to Alexander Arms' psycho-yuppie BS, but it's not like I'm dependent on them for a chambering reamer. If a .50AE reamer won't do, I'll either make one or send the barrel out and have it done on a CNC lathe. If the Beowulf doesn't become popular - frankly, I doubt it'll take off - a few gross of brass should do me for the forseeable future, or at least u
    ALEXANDER ARMS OR THE MAN BEHIND THE GUNS IS A VERY TALENTED INDIVIDUAL. .
    iF YO READ THE OLD POSTS HERE YOU WILL SEE THAT i WAS LOOKING VERY SERIOUSLY AT A 50 BEOWULF. THAT WAS AROUND THREE YEARS AGO GETTING A REAMER OR HAVING IT DONE WAS ABOUT IMPOSSABLE BUT IT HAS BEEN DONE AS SHOW IN MEPERS BUILD. i DONT AGREE WITH ALXANDER ARMS TATICS BUT ITS HIS COMPANY. THE ONLY WAY THE FOR A ROUND TO TAKE OFF IT PEOPLE SHOOTING THEM AND HE IS TRYING TO CONTROLL WHO GETS THOSE GUNS AND NOT ALLOWING OTHERS TO CHAMBER IN THAT CALIBUR IS HURTING HIM IMOO. THERE ARE SEVERAL THINGS TO CONSIDER BRASS IS ONE. FOR A BIG BORE THUMPER ANY OF THE ABOVE WILL WORK WELL WITH A CAST LEAD BULLET. HOW EVER THERE IS ONE THAT MIGHT WORK BETTER WITH A LEAD BULLET. THE 458 SOCOM WOUD BE A BETTER CHOICE WITH CAST BULLETS, HERES WHY THE STEEPED CASE VERSUS A STRAIGHT WALL CASE. A STRAIGHT WALLED CASE HAS A BREACH OPENING NOT MUCH LARGER THAN THE THE BULLET. FEEDING A ROUND INTO SUCH A HLOE IS FAR MORE DIFFICULT AND WITH LEAD THE SOFT NON PONTED BULET IS GOING TO BE HARDER TO GET THAT ROUND UP AND IN THE BORE. TIP DAMAGE LEAD AND SHAVING IS GOING TO BE A POSSALE ISSUE.

WITH THE 458 SOCOM THE BREAH HOLE IS MUCH LARGER THAN THE BULLET AT LEAT .060 BIGGER. THIS WILL ALLOW MORE TOLERANCE WITH FEED RAMPS AND CHAMFERS ON THE BARREL. BTW TROMIX,S 444 MARLIN USES A SHROUD COMING OUT OR THE TOP OF THE BREACH TO GUIDE THE BULLET DOWN.

i WOULD TRY TO CONTACT MEEPER (A VERY TALENTED BUILDER) AND GET SOME SPECIFICS ON HIS BUILD HES MADE ONE IN 50 BEOWULF. ITS BEEN DONE SEE IF HE CAN MAKE IT SHOOT LEAD.

I WOULD WANT A ADJUSTABLE GAS BLOCK AS CAST IS GENERALY LOADED LIGHTER THAN JACKETED BULLETS SO YOUR GAS SYSTEM WILL NEED TO BE ADJUSTABLE IF YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO SHOOT BOTH (I WOULD) LEAD FOULING ON THE GAS PORT MIGHT BE A ISSUE AS WELL. THE 50 BEOWULF RUNS LOWER PRESSURES THAN A NORMAL AK ROUND iF i RECALL CORRECTLY ITS TECHNICALY A PISTOL ROUND. IF THE PRESSURE IS LOWER THEN THE PORT WILL NEED TO BE BIGGER.

IF YOU PULL THIS BUILD OFF IT WOULD BE A AWSOME SET UP. CAST ING LEAD BULLETS WOULD CUT COSTS BIG TIME AND MAKE THIS A LOT BETTER DEAL. i AM NOT TRYING TO POO POO YOUR BUILD UST POINTING OUT SOME THOUGHTS.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

> MILLED RECIVER AND LIKELY A VERY SOUGHT AFTER.
    > PLEASE POST SOME PICTURES OF THIS AND IF THERE ARE
    > ANY MORE AVALIABLE WERE CAN THEY BE FOUND

This was a one-time deal - a friend's neighbor was moving and had it in his garage, something he apparently carried home from work. (military)

> YOU GOT TO POST SOME PICTURES HERE. pLEASE.

I'll do it soon. It's one butt-fugly item, though.

> WHAT WAS THIS DUMMY GUN ORIGINALY????

There are no importer markings, so I'm assuming it was captured and demilled. I'm not sure why, unless it was for "how to identify an AK-47". It's pretty beat up, but not the muzzle or buttplate, so it wasn't used for drill.

> THE ADAPTER FITS JUST LIKE A REGULAR MAG AND THEN
    > THE AR 223 MAG FITS INSIDE THAT.

Hm. I should invest in a .223 mag and see how much trouble it would be to modify the AK mags. I only need a few.

> COMPARING THE 458 SOCOM OR THE 450 BUSH MASTER TO
    > THE 45-70 IS NOT REALLY APPLES TO APPLES. THE 45-70
    > HOLDS A TON MORE POWDER AND CAN BE LOADED WAY
    > PAST THE SMALLER ROUNDS

I'm not really concerned with the OEM ballistics. I'll be handloading down to whatever the rifling is happy with before leading becomes an issue. I've read just about all the threads here, and I'd thought about doing a wildcat by cutting down a .30-06 to whatever was convenient, just as others had. However, Beowulf brass is cheap at the moment, and it has the "it's a .50" cachet.

If I was loading for max ballistics things would be a lot different. I'm still thinking "brush gun".

> THE 45-70 CAN NOT REALLY BE BUILT ON EASLY OBTAINED
    > AK PARTS AND BUILD ISSUES. i CANT WAIT FOR hc TO
    > GET GOING ON HIS.

Someone needs to go stick a pitchfork in him...

> GETTING A REAMER OR HAVING IT DONE WAS ABOUT
    > IMPOSSABLE BUT IT HAS BEEN DONE

I'm willing to try making one. With a full-length barrel, I have the opportunity to make quite a few tries before getting into SBR-land... otherwise, I'll try cutting the chamber with a lathe.

> STRAIGHT WALLED CASE HAS A BREACH OPENING NOT
    > MUCH LARGER THAN THE THE BULLET. FEEDING A ROUND
    > INTO SUCH A HLOE IS FAR MORE DIFFICULT AND WITH
    > LEAD THE SOFT NON PONTED BULET IS GOING TO BE
    > HARDER TO GET THAT ROUND UP AND IN THE BORE.

Granted, but there has already been at least one AK in Beowulf, a couple in S&W, and that .50-110. Not to say that there probably weren't hours of smoking the parts with candle soot and watching for shiny spots while working the action...

>BTW TROMIX,S 444 MARLIN USES A SHROUD COMING OUT
    > OR THE TOP OF THE BREACH TO GUIDE THE BULLET
    > DOWN.

I don't know what you mean, there. Can you point me to a picture?

> i WOULD TRY TO CONTACT MEEPER (A VERY TALENTED
    > BUILDER) AND GET SOME SPECIFICS ON HIS BUILD HES
    > MADE ONE IN 50 BEOWULF. ITS BEEN DONE SEE IF HE CAN
    > MAKE IT SHOOT LEAD.

Here on gunco?

> I WOULD WANT A ADJUSTABLE GAS BLOCK

Don't we all... if I wind up building from scratch, it'll be adjustable to start with.

> LEAD FOULING ON THE GAS PORT MIGHT BE A ISSUE AS
    > WELL.

I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. I have a sketch for a gas block with a cleaning port, but I'm betting it won't be a problem.

> i AM NOT TRYING TO POO POO YOUR BUILD UST
    > POINTING OUT SOME THOUGHTS

That's what I asked for, and I appreciate your input.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the l1A1 gas blocknis not impossable to get. imoo you are going to want the abilty shot jacketed as well as cast.

as far as a barrel shroud the best way to see one is look at a 410 saiga . they have the barrel shroud like im describing. I have one and can post pics if nessacry.

meeper is on the FAL FILES i think but his stuff is pretty well known on the net.

I was all abiut a .50 untill i looked at the ballistics and the energy of all of them and relized that a .41 or .430 bullet can do every thing as good or better with more speed and less drop as well as less recoil. if you can get your hands on a reamer sign me up.

Im going to build the 444???? wild cat thats been in the works for a while it will be bettter at long range and just as good as at close range. I want to be able to shoot 200plus yards and in a ak mag length round the .50 is under powered IMOO. In my honest pinion the 458 with its rifle bullets with higher BC and the larger case is the ultimate. the 444???? wild cat will be very close with the hornady leverlution bullets will be very lose and may have a edge at long range. a true 444 maarlin will out performe a factory loaded 45-70. there all going tomkick way to much be to expensive to shoot so build what ever floats your boat. it will be very cool when done

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I don't think a .50 AE reamer would work. From Wikipedia:

Beowulf neck: .525"
    Beowulf base: .535"

AE neck: .540"
    AE base: .547"

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak m85 2014

ars ak m85

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.