Thread: Wow - Senator's office responded to my email!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Wow - Senator's office responded to my email!

I emailed them from a link the NSSF sent out about the Sportsman's Act of 2012 (the one that, among other things, keeps lead bans from affecting bullets).

This was shot down (no pun intended) this week. Only 10 more votes were needed to get this act rolling!

I am surprised to see the Senator's office responded to my "form letter" email! Sure its a form letter response, but I didn't expect to see it.

No idea where my other senator stands on the issue (yet).

I must admit, I have kind of set my personal expectations to be more politcally active over the next 4 years. As Robert Heinlein stated years ago, voting is an act of violence! I am planning to write/contact my senators and representatives whenever a sporting or other firearms-related issue is on the agenda. I encourage everyone else to do the same...

I truly believe we are the SILENT MAJORITY that are either too lazy or too apathetic to change things, so the other side wins by default. Not any more! Engage your lawmakers, who are directly involved at the highest level of government, over these next 4 years! Getting OUR agendas passed and enacted into law is MUCH more effective than torches and pitchforks!

Here's what his office replied with:

Dear Mr. Davis,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Sportsmen's Act of 2012 (S.3525). I appreciate the benefit of your views on this important issue.

Introduced by Senator Tester (D-MT) on September 20, 2012, the Sportsmen's Act is a compilation of nearly 20 different bipartisan bills important to the sportsmen's community that focus on conservation of wildlife habitat and improving access to hunting and fishing.

I am a cosponsor of S.3525 because it includes a number of provisions that I believe are important to Virginians. First, this bill will increase access to the 35 million acres of public land that are currently restricted or limited in use. Sportsmen, who contributed $90 billion to the national economy in 2011, cite loss of access at the number one reason why they have given up hunting or fishing. This bill allows the Bureau of Land Management to work with willing landowners and acquire high priority in-holding to protect wildlife and recreational access.

Secondly, the bill reauthorizes the North American Wetlands Conservation Act. This Act is a voluntary, landowner-friendly initiative that has conserved over 26 million acres of critical habitat for migratory birds. By reauthorizing this program, the Sportsmen's Act promotes recreational hunting, fishing, and shooting while continuing to promote public-private partnerships that support conservation of fish and wildlife populations.

Additionally, the Sportsmen's Act will give the Secretary of the Interior the authority to allow states to sell duck stamps electronically. To date, duck stamps have generated over $750 million to protect wetland habitats nationwide. Selling duck stamps electronically will mean easier access for the general public and an increased investment in the critical conservation programs the duck stamps fund. In the midst of the important debate about getting our fiscal house in order, this bill will save $5 million over 10 years.

Unfortunately, the Sportsmen's Act failed to pass a procedural hurdle on November 26, 2012. Although I voted with 49 of my colleagues to move the bill forward, the Sportsmen's Act did not meet the 60-vote threshold required and therefore did not advance forward. I will continue to work with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to pass the Sportsmen's Act of 2012 because this bill is consistent with my longtime personal and policy commitment to provide more opportunities for outdoor recreation, to restore critical landscapes, and to support a robust outdoor economy.

Again, thank you for contacting me. For further information or to sign up for my newsletter please visit my website at http://warner.senate.gov.

Sincerely,
    MARK R. WARNER
    United States Senator
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

Lucky... I have written to both my Senators and my Representative three times this week and haven't heard anything back. Might take some time I'm just eager to see where they stand on several issues. First issue was making the Federal Government pay for their own f*ck up Obamacare instead of forcing the financial and administrative nightmare down onto the states which have the ability to opt out of setting up their own health care exchange so they can deal with it at the Fed level (Cited the 10th Amendment for good measure) and the other issue was telling my Representative not to vote to raise taxes with the following as my closing statement,

I therefore urge you to stand strong against any tax hikes in the lame duck session. The fact the debate has even reached this point is a shame. If people spend outside their means they do not have the ability to demand their boss pay them more money to afford their poor spending habits. All the while knowing their boss can't do anything about it, but comply. If normal Americans can't do this, then why do our representatives feel they can? Please see what is happening to our futures and our children's future as a result this spending. Do Not raise taxes on the Americans who are actually paying them, instead, consider giving less money to the Americans who don't.

... We will see what they say.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Yeah I got a similar type letter from Lindsey Graham after I sent him an e-mail about the UN Small Arms Treaty. I have to admit that it was kinda cool to get a response back from a US Senator.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    Yeah I got a similar type letter from Lindsey Graham after I sent him an e-mail about the UN Small Arms Treaty. I have to admit that it was kinda cool to get a response back from a US Senator.
    Good call 2nd. I wrote Marco Rubio and Bill Nelson back in May regarding the same issue. Gotta get the printer fired up again... I'm feeling some deja vu coming on tonight.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score

ditto, i emailed my senator and got a email plus a letter from him on natos bullcrap.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have written and called my senators numerous times . I had a staffer come through for me in an amazing way , I wrote a thank you note . I never expected it , but actually got a letter back from the Senator ( you could tell dictated by him )
    , with a hand signed signature .
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Don't be scared,, I write and call mine all the time when I see an injustice. I run into them persionaly allot too. Some,, allot,, sense most here in VT are local to me and I have the chance to see them on many occasions, and some I've known for years. Don't like Lehey much,, but he's done anyways, the rest are common sense folks for the most part and will take the time to talk to you. A bit to lib for me in many case's on some issues, but they'll listen when you make a point if you're not a ass about it when you approach them.

I've been saying for quite awhile here that we can't let these guys slide,, we can't be the silent majority any longer. We have to fight for every single right now this POS is back in,,, don't slack off.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.