Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Storm dumps 1.48 inches in Prescott; Ruger roof collapses

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Storm dumps 1.48 inches in Prescott; Ruger roof collapses

Storm dumps 1.48 inches in Prescott; Ruger roof collapses

Water runs unchecked in Miller Creek near Dougherty Street in Prescott Wednesday.

Ken Hedler
    The Daily Courier

PRESCOTT - A storm that started Thursday afternoon dumped 1.48 inches as of 10 a.m. Friday, caused a portion of the roof to collapse at Sturm, Ruger & Co., and triggered lightning that struck an elderly man.

Sturm Ruger issued a news release via Business Wire Friday stating heavy rainfall caused a portion of the roof to collapse Thursday at its plant near the Prescott Airport. No one was injured.

"The company is in the process of undertaking repairs and expects to be back in production soon," the news release stated.

Mark Lang, group vice president for Sturm Ruger, was unavailable for comment. However, a person at the scene who wished to remain anonymous left a voicemail message: "It was terrifying. They evacuated the whole building. The ceiling opened up. A flood of water came in. ... It went everywhere, all over the machine, all over everybody. The roof caved in."

The storm dumped 1.48 inches of rain at the measuring station at the airport, said Chris Outler, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Flagstaff. The downpour started around 3 p.m. Thursday.

The rainfall "for a daily total is pretty impressive," Outler said. He said the storm brought total precipitation for July to 2.57 inches, 164 percent above the normal average of 1.57 inches.

"It has been a fairly active monsoon" throughout Arizona over the past month, he said. He described active as meaning rainfall has occurred off and on since the monsoon started a month ago.

Continued: http://www.dcourier.com/main.asp?Sec...ticleID=121703

Black Blade: Hope they are back up in production soon. Might be a good time to look for some RGR shares on the dips.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

thats what you get when you allow illegal aliens to build the factory---

ironic ain't it------- " storm flattens storm ruger!????!!!"
    Last edited by j427x; 07-30-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Feedback Score

1.48 inches of rain collapses a roof? Are you kidding me? This year in Wisconsin that roof would have collapses a dozen times already. Heck, we had 2 inches of rain just the other day!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Crap, now Rugers will get scarce again....

Feedback Score

Is that a misprint or wtf??? 1.48" of rain?? We've been getting that much rain or more every day here. Haven't seen the first roof collaspe.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score

Arizona rain storms are short but violent. Roofs here are generally flat. Hey, it's a desert and the soil is like cement thus the modest level of rain cause fast and dangerous flooding. I watched that storm from my covered patio. Rain still blew in and fell on my metal lathe. Thankfully I keep that lathe covered with a camo tarp.

VD in AZ

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Arizona rain storms are short but violent. Roofs here are generally flat. Hey, it's a desert and the soil is like cement thus the modest level of rain cause fast and dangerous flooding. I watched that storm from my covered patio. Rain still blew in and fell on my metal lathe. Thankfully I keep that lathe covered with a camo tarp.

VD in AZ
    I understand the ground not absorbing the water, but that doesn't explain a roof that can't handle an inch and a half of rain. If heavy rains occur, even rarely, structures should be built to handle it. We have flat roofs here in Wisconsin too that take snow loads each winter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I understand the ground not absorbing the water, but that doesn't explain a roof that can't handle an inch and a half of rain. If heavy rains occur, even rarely, structures should be built to handle it. We have flat roofs here in Wisconsin too that take snow loads each winter.
    Most design and build for the area. No or little expected rain, no allowance for loads on roofs and such. It saves money. Even the freak collapses are cost effective when they are infrequent. Heck, Detroit built cars that way for decades. It took groups like Nader's to force safety into the design.

I remember seeing 3 inches of water on a flat roof once. I had to "venture" out to unclog the drains.

buckmeister

Feedback Score

I guess I find it hard to believe it is cost effective for Ruger, who couldn't keep up with orders prior to the roof collapse.

But to each their own I guess.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I understand that the laughter could be heard miles from the Kel-Tec plant.
    http://www.boomsticksforever.com/
    Specializing in hand-built modular stocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.