Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 7.62x54r Mauser build

Feedback Score

Default 7.62x54r Mauser build

I really don't remember all of the reasons I decided to build a Mauser in 54r, it could be that someone said it wouldn't work or maybe it was Mike928's comment that everything is more accurate when shot from a Mauser. Whatever it was, the project got moved up in the que.

In the early 80's I put together my one and only Mauser with the assistance of my ex father in law. It is a 1909 Argentine action with a medium heavy target barrel in 6.5x55. So here I am 30+ years later trying to figure this build out.

Several years ago I bought an action at a gun show and put it away in case I ever wanted to try a build. It was a 1940 model 98 covered in Waffen stamps. I've been advised to buy new bottom metal for my build and sell the original to a collector. The bolt handle was non-matching and had already had the bolt handle modified.

I ordered a turned barrel blank from McGowen in .302/.310 for the 54r and started making tools while I waited for the blank.

I started with the truing fixture for the front of the receiver

Then made the lap for the pressure ring

Both seemed to work, the surfaces cleaned up and are parallel.

Feedback Score

After I got the bolt face opened up for the 54r rim I wanted to lap the bolt face in and made an insert that fit in my pressure ring adapter to lap the bolt face in.

Tommo likes this.

Feedback Score

The barrel delivery was quoted as 12 weeks so I had plenty of time to kill so I made the barrel vice and action wrench out of some scrap on the shelf.

I still need to make the bushing for the vise, I needed the barrel for sizing. I should mention, that allen wrench is a 5/8" and is over 12" long. It makes the vise look tiny.

In the meantime, I thought it would be cool if I could figure out how to make a 54r magazine to fit the Mauser bottom metal. I've never made a mag from scratch so it was kind of fun to try to figure out.

I cut a piece of aluminum to fit inside the mag well that allowed for clearance of the 20 gauge sheet metal I was going to use.

next I made a bending die with guide pins to bend the shape of the mag.

Last edited by Holescreek; 02-11-2015 at 01:41 AM.
    Tommo likes this.

Feedback Score

I did the same thing to form the piece for the rear of the mag:

I added a radius to the top of my aluminum block to form the feed lips over with a body hammer. The lips were just roughed out with tin snips and I finished the shapes later with a dremel.

I had to make a new lower jaw for my spot welder and eventually got the two parts of the mag welded together.

I guess I didn't take any photos of the follower, but the tricky part is getting it to work with a rimmed cartridge. There can be no gaps behind it for the rim to get caught in.

Next cam my first feeble attempt at making a magazine spring. What an adventure! I already knew a PSL mag spring worked in my mag so I attempted to duplicate it. Here is the result of a lot of fooling around:

Last edited by Holescreek; 02-11-2015 at 01:42 AM.
    Tommo likes this.

Feedback Score

I'm kind of all over the place with this build, just piecing together the tools as I get the opportunity. The barrel arrived the week before Christmas and I got the breech and brake threads turned two days ago. The rimmed cartridge required a support pad be turned on the breech face to place the cartridge tight against the bolt face. After a whole lot of measuring I figured the pad needed to be .047 tall.

I'm still working on a plan for the extractor cut, stay tuned.

I've never fluted a barrel before so I thought this was a good time to try. I set the dividing head up on the mill and used a height gauge to get the taper leveled.

made a mess:

but other than taking a crap load of time on a manual mill, it worked out well.

Hopefully I can get started on the PSL style brake tomorrow.

BTW, I'm trying to locate plans to make the scope mount drilling jig for a large ring Mauser. If that fails, I'll need to figure out what the hole spreads are supposed to be and wing it.
    Last edited by Holescreek; 02-11-2015 at 01:43 AM.
    Tommo likes this.

Feedback Score

most excellent work holescreek. can't wait to see the rest of the build.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

It's nice to see a Mauser build going on again,,It just makes me want to do another even that much more,,and I have been thinking about Mauser's recently after wiping down everything in my safes the last few days.

Seems you like to experiment with building all kinds of goodies holescreek. I used to myself, and wish I still had access to the equipment to do it with now. I miss fussing around with mills and laths, even though I am an amateur by comparison to many folks here. That's why it always took me twice as long to build anything,,I'd double check everything 47 frigging times, not having that much confidence in my skills sometimes,

I didn't screw up to much,,but occasionally,, I still did

Sadly I don't have a canal quite as handy as 4th does to chuck my mistakes into,,,,

Looking Good holescreek.

Feedback Score

I like to learn new things, make tools, and keep my machining skills fresh. I get more enjoyment figuring out how to do things in my home shop than anything else. With the PSL it started with a regular build, working out the details. Then it turned into improving it in the next build then taking it to the extreme in the last. I've run the gambit with Cetme's too, including chamber fluting and changing the operation mechanics. This Mauser build is no different. I get to machine, experiment and test.
    2ndAmendican and Tommo like this.

Feedback Score

Yes you will!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I also need a scope base jig for the mauser.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.