Thread: Iran captured 'enemy drone'

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Default Iran captured 'enemy drone'

Iran says it has captured a foreign 'enemy drone'
    By ALI AKBAR DAREINI, AP

TEHRAN, Iran Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guard said Saturday that it had captured a foreign unmanned aircraft during a military exercise in southern Iran.

Gen. Hamid Sarkheili, a spokesman for the military exercise, said the Guard's electronic warfare unit spotted signals indicating that foreign drones were trying to enter Iranian airspace. Sarkheili said Guard experts took control of one drone's navigation system and brought it down near the city of Sirjan where the military drills began on Saturday.

"While probing signals in the area, we spotted foreign and enemy drones which attempted to enter the area of the war game," the official IRNA news agency quoted the general as saying. "We were able to get one enemy drone to land."

Sarkheili did not say whether the drone was American.

In Washington, a CIA spokeswoman declined to comment on the report.

Iran has claimed to have captured several U.S. drones, including an advanced RQ-170 Sentinel CIA spy drone in December 2011 and at least three ScanEagle aircraft.

State TV said the Guard's military exercise, code-named Great Prophet-8, involved ground forces of the Guard, Iran's most powerful military force. State TV showed tanks and artillery attacking hypothetical enemy positions. He said various systems, including unmanned planes that operate like suicide bombers, were tested.

"Reconnaissance as well as suicide drones, which are capable of attacking the hypothetical enemies, were deployed and their operational capabilities were studied," the semi-official Fars news agency quoted him as saying.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

--IF iran had the ability to take over a drone and land it safely to study it--we would be seeing their drones dart around in US skies--

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Well they say they got it to land, but if they have a way to jam the signal it most likely crash landed. At least that's what I think of it

But one part that I didn't like seeing was this bold part, I wonder how long it will be until they start sending their own drones out packed with explosives to bomb stuff
    State TV showed tanks and artillery attacking hypothetical enemy positions. He said various systems, including unmanned planes that operate like suicide bombers, were tested.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    their own drones out packed with explosives to bomb stuff
    Uh... the Germans called that a "V-1."

Didn't work then, either.

Unlike a suicide bomber, who can be anonymous, drones have to be built and launched from somewhere. And our satellites can track them back to their launch points, and all the components back to their factories, to their subcontractor factories, and the plant workers back to their homes.

They might as well just cut their own throats, because they're sitting smack in the middle of what our bombers call a "target-rich environment."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    Uh... the Germans called that a "V-1."

Didn't work then, either.

Unlike a suicide bomber, who can be anonymous, drones have to be built and launched from somewhere. And our satellites can track them back to their launch points, and all the components back to their factories, to their subcontractor factories, and the plant workers back to their homes.

They might as well just cut their own throats, because they're sitting smack in the middle of what our bombers call a "target-rich environment."

the old cruise missiles do work pretty good .

i figure they do something dumb like make a stealth drone suicide bomber plane --than aim it at the us or somewhere in the EU---

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

That is so believable after seeing the fighter jet they recently showed off.......the one with not enough room for a pilot with legs or engines and part of its stealth features is appearing to be a RC model airplane in the flight videos.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

yea--Iran and aircraft production --that is just two terms that don't sound good together.

like pickled herring and ice cream--LOL!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Does it say USA on the outside and And made in China on the inside? If so it's 1 of ours. has high tech as hobby RC stuff is it would not be hard for somebody to make a flying bomb that radar won't detect.
    Hidding the signals is another matter. With all the stuff the smartphones do including GPS I would not be surprised if someone could program one to fly a plane to its destination without any signals.

If my phone can direct me drunk to the nearest bar in middle of the night in heavy fog , it would not be hard to make some sort of voice recognition software guide an airplane. I'm sure there's stuff out there that the GPS would just control it.

ak9
    Feedback Score

The other day I read a NP artical concerning Ratheons /dod new "blimps " where they they stealthish ...fly between 300-10000 ft unmanned tethered to earth/bouys and can "see" out @ 1000 miles radar... deployed in pairs can see 360* and were tested an able to track & shoot down 4 "Missils at a time...thos new bimps might come in handy with a 100 armed drones comin in
    ak9

Feedback Score

Don't believe it. Jamming is one thing. Goasting is another but taking over and piloting is news to me. I understand has a huge track record of human rights enforcement and honesty but... Wait that's not right...
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.