Thread: the 30-30 for survivalists

Feedback Score

Default the 30-30 for survivalists

One gun I have that I have long considered to be a suitable “Survival gun” is a Marlin (or Winchester, Mossberg or Rossi) 30-30. I bought mine about 35 years ago to be my main go-to hunting gun. It is light and handy. It comes in an extremely popular caliber. There is almost always some ammo to be found in this caliber. It has a side loading gate that makes it easy to reload after firing a couple of shots. It has such a mild recoil that most people-male or female-should be able to handle it. I always have liked lever action rifles because of the many western movies I watched as a youngster. I enjoy shooting them.

So, what’s not to like? Well, for one thing it is lower powered compared to the .308 and 30-06 etc. It doesn’t have extreme target accuracy. Another thing, at one time you could only use flat tip or round nose bullets because of the tubular magazine of this rifle.
    But, Hornady has done a lot to improve this caliber with their “Flex-Tip” ammo. With these cartridges it is possible to use pointed bullets in 30-30‘s. This ammo adds another 100 yards or more to the range of this fine rifle.
    Although it doesn’t have the firepower of a semi-auto, I believe that for most survival needs a 30-30 is all you should need.
    There is one 30-30 rifle that is OK for fun shooting or hunting, but, I do not recommend it for tactical use. And, that is the Henry. While the other 30-30s load through a side loading gate, which makes it easy to top up the magazine when necessary, the Henry has a plunger in the ammo tube which must be removed to reload it. This puts the Henry out of action while being reloaded. The other 30-30s can be kept ready for action while ammo is added. This is better for tactical activities. I think that every survivalist should have at least one 30-30.

Feedback Score

I don't disagree with you. The 30-30 used to be the default deer hunting rifle in my area. A lot of deer were taken with them. Now everybody has to have a whiz bang rifle.

Give me a guy that can make his aimed shots count with that 30-30 over a guy who believes spray and pray with a high capacity mag will save him!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the truth of today is--what ever you got ammo for is the best one.

if you got plenty of 30-30 it will do fine.

back before the ammo panic you could effectively argue one round/rifle,pistol whatever might be better than another.

an empty rifle is not as good as a loaded one. and in the end that is what is going to matter most.

a loaded 30-30 is nothing to sneeze at.

a few years ago everybody was going from 30-06 to 308 cause there was more 308 surplus.

today it is the other way around--

right now the old russian m44 and m38s are hot sellers because there is still some 7.62x54R surplus ammo on the market.

whatever there is ammo for--that the one to have.

Feedback Score

A few years ago I lucked out. I entered a store that was closing out of the ammo business. Everything was half off. I bought enough 30-30 ammo to more than fill a 50 caliber ammo can-several dozen boxes. It was all Winchester white box. I still have a lot of it. Plus, after Hornady introduced their Leverevolution ammo in 30-30, I purchased a few boxes of those. So, I actually have a good quantity of this caliber. I think that I could do a lot worse than this caliber for Survival use.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dario541 View Post
    A few years ago I lucked out. I entered a store that was closing out of the ammo business. Everything was half off. I bought enough 30-30 ammo to more than fill a 50 caliber ammo can-several dozen boxes. It was all Winchester white box. I still have a lot of it. Plus, after Hornady introduced their Leverevolution ammo in 30-30, I purchased a few boxes of those. So, I actually have a good quantity of this caliber. I think that I could do a lot worse than this caliber for Survival use.

there ya go!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I always thought a lever action 30-30 would make a good pack gun. Here is a pic of a folding stock mod I found somewhere on the net. It's brilliant in its simplicity...(maybe STEN stock inspired?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails the 30-30 for survivalists-94foldera-3.jpg  

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
    - Thomas Alva Edison
    |> Military training/history DVDs: www.loose-cannon.com/military
    Latest eBook: Build Your Own AK: Vol. II

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

That's a neat stock
    But I want to add my $.02, loose the wing nuts and replace them with those round ones with knurling on the out edge (sorry don't remember the proper name).
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.