Building a Russian/Bulgy Krink vs SLR104-51 and cutting the barrel down

Thread: Building a Russian/Bulgy Krink vs SLR104-51 and cutting the barrel down

Feedback Score

Question Building a Russian/Bulgy Krink vs SLR104-51 and cutting the barrel down

So buying an SLR104-51 and cutting the barrel down has proven to be a non-issue when it comes to key-holing (if done right, same barrel is used for their SBR'd SLR104s). Is there any reason I should spend significantly more building a Russian/Bulgy krink kit instead?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Cutting a barrel wont cause key holing.

Build what you like. A so called krink has special parts that look different that your not going to get by cutting down a rifle.

Feedback Score

I'm not sure what you mean by "special parts". This SBR is the same as the other one I posted, same barrel but it's already been cut for you (same twist). I understand these aren't 100% Russian/Bulgy but aren't they Krinkovs? I've got a Bulgy Krink pistol I'm going to start paperwork on for SBR, I'd like another because... well why wouldn't I?

I guess I'm just wondering mostly about quality/keyholing, I've seen tests out to 100 yards and they seemed OK with maybe a couple landing at slight angles (not acceptable IMO). Considering the barrel length and overall design testing beyond that seems kind of silly but I'd still like to see a couple tests at 2-300 yards vs 1:6 twist.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

It might take Jerry Miculek to shoot 300 yards with a 10" barrel.

I've seen Bulgy AK74su kits sell for $1,500. Then you need a reciever & USA parts + building it.
    I'd get the carbine you show & cut the barrel.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

I seldom talk to liberals.............................. But when I do, I order fries............

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Other than some lost velocity the bullet doetn know if it left a 10" barrel or a 16" barrel . If it stabilizes in the 16 it will stabilize in the 10" .

If your getting key holeing its more likely the crap ammo that 5.45 generally is .

I wasn't aware the slr 104-51 was basically a krink with a long barrel sorry .

I don't get caught up in all the stuff every one is offering an all the model numbers that go with them . I just build mostly

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

5.45 ammo is far from being crap. plain 7n6 out of my plain saiga gets very nice groups if i do my part. so does the wolf and tiger commercial 5.45. brown bear was less so. yes it's not match ammo but for a surplus general purpose military ammo is good.

MAC did test with arsenal krinks with short barrels and improper non-krink rate twist and for the most part holes were round.

original AKSU had and still has different faster twist rate than AK-74. 1 in 160mm versus 1 in 200mm. it was done because shorter barrel meant loss in muzzle velocity and therefore necessitated different twist rate to reliably stabilize the bullet.

rear heavy 5.45 bullets are ballancing on the virge of stability as is. it is done so by design to tumble upon impact and create stronger wounding potential.

there is a video made by Larry vickers. he made some awesome slow-mo videos of bullet exiting muzzle yawing up and down like crazy immediately upon exit but mysteriously self-stabilizing withing a foot or so from a muzzle.
    https://youtu.be/xCgmfbAbP-Q?t=1m5s

there was a lot of bad rep for 5.45 over the years due to some manufacture using 223 blanks for making 5.45 barrels. i 'm pretty sure rguns sold them with their krink kits. there were lesser quality barrels employed by some of the builders that might as well added to proliferation of this believe. however well built izhmash saiga with a good in spec barrel performs wonderfully and certainly adequately for what it is.

Rcovering tangentialist stalker1's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Keyholing can happen with an improperly cut/crowned barrel.Done correctly, no problem.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.