Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steel vs Brass cased ammo.

Feedback Score

Default Steel vs Brass cased ammo.

Ever since I started posting on the Internet, a question has been floating around about steel cased ammo. I have read many pros and cons about it. And, I have a large quantity of it in various calibers. So, I have often wondered what the real truth was. How will it work in my Mini-14s and a couple of other guns?
    Well, I believe that I have found the ultimate answer. This subject may be of interest to you, too. If so, you absolutely need to visit this site.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the DOD did a test back in the 70s and then again in the 80s.

they ran in excess of 80,000 rounds through m16s in the harshest conditions they could come up with.

operationally the steel cases preformed the SAME as brass. now this ammo was loaded to US specs with the same powder and bullets used in m193 ammo.

no extra problems or wear due to the steel cases.

hell even hornady makes steel cased ammo now. it runs perfectly and is fully loaded with ball powder too.

for most of WW2 the US used steel cased ammo.

some US ammunition maker should start pumping out a "budget" ammo with steel case and steel jacketed bullets.

you got steel ammo--shoot it out of the mini.

keep an eye out for buildup in the chamber --try to not mix and match various coated types of ammo when hot . you shouldn't have any problems running it in the mini.

i shoot a lot of steel cased ammo aside from the various crappy powders you sometimes get i haven't noticed that much bad about it. and as much of it as i have shot in the last 20 years surely i would have broke something if it was as bad as people say.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I think all the nay saying is just internet rumors that got out of control.
    The only down side to the steel cased ammo I've used is it was dirty and took more time to clean up after shooting, it was the older Wolf black box stuff, and I used multiple calibers of it.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

I buy all brass ammo for only one reason. That's how i get the brass for reloading. If you look at the cost numbers, it doesn't make sence to reload if you're buying new brass. If you already have it, then there's a pretty fair savings.

Of course, I haven't bought any ammo for five months now, nor reloading supplies.

karl

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

My 1260rds of brass case berden primed YUGO is for SHTF use only.My Wolf,Brown Bear,and Tula is for range time.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score

My mini-14 has happily eaten everything I have ever fed it unfortunately i no longer shoot it becuse it belonged to my grandfather before he died and I'm planning to give it to my son when he gets older.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

LOL I was just reading this article!

The article conclusions are based on the steel cased ammo with BI-METAL projectiles, vs. brass cased ammo with COPPER projectiles.

Points of relevance:

- At around 10,000 rounds the BI-METAL bullets wear the barrels enough to fall out of military specifications (specifically, velocity drop > 200 FPS) and therefore need replacement. Conclusion is that it is cheaper to use steel and replace the barrel at 5000 rounds... although there is some better performance with name-brand brass ammo. SO the question is whether to buy and use ONLY expensive brass ammo, or buy cheaper steel ammo and a new barrel? That's THE question!

- The article also talks about the effect of the cases (Brass vs. Steel) on extractors. May be worth consideration if you guys shoot more than 10,000 rounds through your AR's.

- The article points out that at no time was the lacquer-coated steel cases observed to cause excessive jams. Conclusion is that the rumors about steel cases = more jams is not true.

I would like to see a similar test with AK barrels! Note that they mention that none of these barrels are hammer forged like AK's are. I did not know this, but apparently AR barrels built to gov't contract specifications are button-rifled (aka NOT hammer forged). Most all major European builders use hammer forged barrels.

Good stuff!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

hell you can buy a ar-15 barrel for $90 shipped.

changing one is like "remove barrel nut/replace barrel nut."

$500 rounds of wolf is like $150 these days. so i think you can afford to change a $90 barrel every 6,000 to 10,000 rounds.

the steel cased ammo the DOD ran through the test had copper m193 bullets.

as far as just the steel cases went they found no problems with the cases.

i have all ways thought that steel jacketed bullets were an accuracy problem.

i have seen some very good though not match accuracy from them .

i'm thinking most of the problems with the steel cased ammo people tend to blame the steel when it really is just a quality control problem.

steel cased ammo has a reputation for being cheap. when i have had problems with steel cased ammo it was generally a powder/loading problem --the cases seemed to work fine.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

i'm thinking most of the problems with the steel cased ammo people tend to blame the steel when it really is just a quality control problem.
    YEAP VERY POOR QUALITY CONTROL POWDER CHARGES A GRAIN VARIANCE BULLET WEIGHTS AN ODS ALL OVER THE PLACE . I HAVE PULLED DOWN ENOUGH TO SEE IT FIRST HAND .

THE CASES WORK FINE THE PRIMERS WORK FINE OR BETTER .

SERIOUSLY HOW MANY WORN OUT CHAMBERS HAS ANY ONE SEEN FROM STEEL AMMO ?

THE STUFF WILL WORK FINE IN A MINI 14 OR 30 MOST OF THEM GUNS ARE NOT ACCURATE ANY WAY SO WHO CARES. IF YOU HAVE A ACCURATE ONE YOU LIKELY MODIFIED IT AN CARE ENOUGH TO BUY GOOD AMMO .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

YEAP VERY POOR QUALITY CONTROL POWDER CHARGES A GRAIN VARIANCE BULLET WEIGHTS AN ODS ALL OVER THE PLACE . I HAVE PULLED DOWN ENOUGH TO SEE IT FIRST HAND .

THE CASES WORK FINE THE PRIMERS WORK FINE OR BETTER .

SERIOUSLY HOW MANY WORN OUT CHAMBERS HAS ANY ONE SEEN FROM STEEL AMMO ?

THE STUFF WILL WORK FINE IN A MINI 14 OR 30 MOST OF THEM GUNS ARE NOT ACCURATE ANY WAY SO WHO CARES. IF YOU HAVE A ACCURATE ONE YOU LIKELY MODIFIED IT AN CARE ENOUGH TO BUY GOOD AMMO .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.