Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question on M85 receiver unavailability and an idea I have!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Question on M85 receiver unavailability and an idea I have!

Harlan told me in a phone conversation that he's waiting to see what Congress and Minnesota is going to do before making another run of M90/M85 receivers. Kinda surprised me with all the M85 Pap pistols and virgin kits on the market. Now I'm unsuccessfully searching for a 100% receiver elsewhere so I can send in paperwork to SBR the kit I have. Got me thinking.... Is there anyone out there that can register and engrave a flat or blank for me? I can bend the flat, weld the rails, and harden the receiver myself. Tooling up to harden now. I just need a Class 2 manufacturer(?) to do the paperwork and engrave the flat or bent blank if it's legal to do so. I know someone here has the answers, I just don't know what else to do.

Thanks,
    Dirty Harry
    Want to buy: Tantal Left and Right side selector parts.

RRORC!
    I'm no sheep!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A flat is not a receiver, any trophy shop should be able to do the engraving for you, even mail order if necessary. Once bent, it is a receiver but as long as you are present no FFL is needed to engrave it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thats the problem. On line 4a of the ATF 5320.1 Form 1 asks...

" Name and Location of Original Manufacturer of
    Firearm
    (Receiver) (If prototype, furnish plans
    and
    specifications) (See Instruction 2i) "

And line 4g asks for the serial number.

I'm not an SOT manufacturer and if it's a blank (not a 100% receiver), I don't think I can send in the form. Can I? If I put in my info and a serial number I created, wouldn't that be manufacturing without a license?

RRORC!
    I'm no sheep!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

You can manufacture it for yourself without a manufacturing license
    For the forms
    You are the manufacturer and you make up a serial number and stamp or engrave it on the receiver flat along with what other info is needed for the SBR.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Coils is correct, the form 1 is an application to make a firearm, getting it approved authorizes you to make the firearm described therein. Non-NFA firearms you don't even need any approval or markings as long as you build for your own personal use. The only time you need an FFL to manufacture a firearm is if you are doing so with intent to transfer/sell them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I understand that non-NFA for personal use doesn't require a SN. I was assuming that NFA does require SOT Type 07 Manufacturer info and serial number. If I can manufacture myself with my info on the form 1; what happens if I wish to sell it years later or will it to a family member? Do I have to demill and remove the rifle from the registry?

RRORC!
    I'm no sheep!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

If you want to sell it it will still be an NFA firearm and the buyer will have to go through the same process you did with the ATF, even if it's sold to a family member. OK I might not of answered that well, when you sell it your info is on it forever and the new owner uses it for the paper work. You just your name, city & state if I remember it right.
    If you destroy it and make it a kit again you need to notify the ATF and should wait until you get a letter stating it has been destroyed or no longer on their records before selling it (to CYA).
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A form 1 NFA item is exactly the same as one registered by an SOT FFL07 on a Form 2, the only difference is you paid the individual tax per item and the FFL paid the SOT for a years worth of production.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    A form 1 NFA item is exactly the same as one registered by an SOT FFL07 on a Form 2, the only difference is you paid the individual tax per item and the FFL paid the SOT for a years worth of production.
    That's the answer I was looking for. I thought a Form 1 NFA worked that way but wanted to be sure. If I don't find a y556 receiver I'll finally get experience with a full heat treated bent blank. Thank you kernelkrink! Time to start researching what info is acceptable; and what isn't, when it comes to manufacturer info and serial number?!

RRORC!
    I'm no sheep!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

If your interested, I have a Valcan 223 M85 receiver.
    PM me for details.
    Your in my Mind, and in my Sights

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.