Thread: the new 1931 Hex Mossin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default the new 1931 Hex Mossin

Well my bud, Keith at Century came through for me again,,,an all matching 1931 hex,laminated, looks un- rearsaneled,,,OH YA!! When ever he says something's running good ,,I can believe him, he's a straight shooter! He'll tell ya when somethings not so good too,a good guy!

Super greasy but it looks great and all the original proof marks still stand proud on the edges so this might be another one that hadn't been touched. I may have lucked out again!!

You can see by the forearm it looks like it was only assembled once and hasn't been redone. and it looks like it just got a coat of varnish slathered on when it was last inspected ,repacked and stored away. I'll have to tear it down all the way to know for sure but it sure looks that way so far. It don't have any signs of being redone. Bolt don't have the "rough wire brush" look to it like a re-arsanal one does either and the receiver is nicely machined and smooth blued with the early cuts at the back. 100% matching # other than the bayo, but it does have the correct prewar bayo with it though, even if it doesn't match #.

Ya Got to love that for $189, and it's the best looking Hex that I've seen in quite a bit besides. Wish it was a Tula though. But Still very nice. Mossin collection's complete, at least for the ones I'd want, just the Russian made ones. From the 38 - 91's I now have all matching # and pristine ones that all appear to be unissued now! Been working on that one for a bit!!

I just did a quick wipe off with paper towels just to get the gunk off and snap a couple pics, but it sure looks like a good one so far! The chamber and barrel are packed full and you can barely see through it, just a glow of light and grease!! I'll clean it up thoroughly after supper.

All is well on the Eastern Front,,,,,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Are all the small parts made by the same armory ?
    Tree huggin' dirt worshipper!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yup bands, trigger guard, bolt pieces, rod and everything on the outside's matching. Hasn't been torn down yet to see underneath. Even the proof marks still stand proud of the surface and the stock cartuce's are sharp and clear. I doubt it was ever issued. It's defiantly not been redone and reissued. No doubt there, not even a skid mark on the follower and it's the smooth pre war blue everywhere.

Look at the fore arm pic, I don't think those bands have ever been off before. I'd seen some old war footage where they were assembling these at the factory and it showed them using some type of spreader pliers to install the bands with so they didn't get gouged. This one doesn't even have the faintest sign of either bands ever being slid off before. Nothing

OOPS its a 33, I didn't have my cheaters on before!!!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

The way to tell if it was refurbished is to look for a marking that looks like a square with a line through the middle on the receiver or barrel, and on the stock it's a square with a diangle line.
    Look at this link, line 18 left box, and line 28 the middle box.
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm

And here's the home page, a lot of good info
    http://7.62x54r.net/
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

It does not coils,no sign's of ever being redone at all, and still has that real nice prewar bluing intact. Thanks for that link BTW, I like Mossins but didn't really have any good informational resources till now. That gave me the info I needed to slug the barrel last night. The bore is almost as nice and shinny as my 7.5 Swiss and slugs out at .3092, at the top of the groves on the slug and the lands in the barrel are sharp and crisp all the way to the end of the muzzle with no counter boring. That sounds good to me considering that factory specs are .310 or 7.7mm. Can't wait to shoot it.

I did some cleanup last night and this is ,,REALLY,,one pristine Hex,,for sure, just a few stock scratchs, and there just finish, with no wood gouging/denting damage at all. Trigger's not to bad either, no 1st stage take up and 6.5lbs-7lbs let off with only negligible creep, which should be better after I do a complete tear down and clean the goop out of the trigger assembly. I really scored a Great one here!!

Now,,,,how does she shoot? I'll know that later on. And if she shoots good as it looks, I'm going to have to say if anyone's still looking for a good Hex, don't be lingering. These are the best Hex ones I've seen in a really long time, without a doubt. I might just have to get one without the laminated stock now. Just for shits,,might's just as well have all the Russian "sub categories" too,,why not? The prewar Hex's are defiantly a cut above the normal WW11 vintage ones in every way. Might's just as well have both laminated and regular stock one's, as long as there all pristine. Does this gun collecting bug ever end,,I'm 63 and just as bad as I was when I was 33,,WTF,,,I'm running out of room here!!!! GEZZZZZ !!!!

It's pretty crazy though that you can actually buy this gun and can shoot it too for less than the cost of most 22 rifles and there ammo!! That's just nuts to me, is the x54R the new .22 plinker now ?? I've got tons of ammo for them already too, so not costly to shoot at all for me. Just depends on how the screwed up neck holds out, that crushed nerve really don't like recoil to much !! My big bore shooting gets limited to very short sessions by that nowadays. 1 Tube of mixed 12ga slug,+ buck mixed through the Mossburg the other day was enough for me and made me sore for 3 days,,I hate it!!!!!

I Save allot of ammo that way!! But don't have anywhere near as much fun now,,,,DOWWWWWW !

PS,,couple pics of it wiped down and cleaned up. The mark behind the sling gusset is the worst damage on the entire stock,,I think I'm OK with that !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.