Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mini-14 or AK47-Which is Best First choice?

Feedback Score

Default Mini-14 or AK47-Which is Best First choice?

I have a Mini-14. I like it really well. It is light, fairly easy to handle, shoots the current American military caliber, and, best of all, people don’t freak out when they see it. It doesn’t look so “military.”
    I also have a Romanian AK47. It is a very dependable firearm. Although it shoots a foreign designed caliber, at one time there was plenty of it around for very good prices. I used to buy it by the case. I also like it very well. It is not too heavy, it always fires when you pull the trigger, the caliber is powerful enough to do the job, and, it is fun to shoot. However, some people DO freak out when they see this gun! It is better not to show it around too much.
    So, I like both of them. I feel that I would be well served carrying either of them if TSHF. They are both dependable. They don’t have extreme target accuracy, but they will both get the job done. I have ample ammo for both. So, I can get some practice. What I have to decide is: If I had to grab one and run, which would it be? I think either would do the job.
    The AK47 has a reputation of ALWAYS firing! That’s a plus. The AK plus a certain amount of ammo would weigh more than the Mini with the same number of cartridges. And, I think that-within 200 yards-the AK probably hits a little harder. But, does the AK have a big edge over the MINI?
    The Mini-14 also has the reputation of shooting every time you pull the trigger. Some people say that they have shot thousands of rounds without even cleaning it and it keeps going. I like handling this gun. It shoots a good caliber that should do the job. I think that its range is close to that of the AK.
    The number one thing that would determine my choice is, probably, the availability of spare parts. The AK wins this one hands down. You can find all the spare parts all over the place. A good place to start is the Shotgun News. They almost always have advertisers selling AK parts. Some parts for Mini-14s are available, but, firing pins-which are vulnerable-are not. Except for after market parts. I plan to order 2 Glend made Mini-14 firing pins. Then I will have complete faith in my Mini.
    However, I still believe that the AK is the best “first choice” tactical firearm.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I have a mini and "couple" of aks. I must say I just really enjoy shooting the mini. If I'm assembling a group of rifles to take to the range, more often than not, the mini is in there. I do love AKs and there will generally be at least one of them going too.
    Maybe it's just because they get rotated and I have only 1 mini, it seems that I just end up shooting it a lot.

As far as a go time gun, depending on the situation, I would probably grab either an AR or a FAL.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Hi Dario,

Just to be sure we are on the same page:

Mini-14 Range: 300 Meters.
    AK Range: 300 Meters.

Capacity: Same.

Reliability: Edge to AK

Magazine design: Edge to AK

Lethality: Same.

Ergonomics: Mini-14.

Sights: Edge to Mini-14.

With all of that being said, the real decision between the two boils down to the purpose.

Need to clean out a swarm of Zombies or Blue-Helmets? AK!

Need to defend yourself, and get some game on the table? Mini-14!

Since you have both, there is no real issue.

My opinion is that the Mini suffers from accuracy issues under sustained fire. Magazines have always been a crap shoot. And spares are always an issue with Ruger made firearms.

Still, I would be just as happy with a Mini as an AK. And in all likelihood, carrying the Mini might just save my life. Mostly due to my avoiding issues.

I love to hate the Mini, just as much as I love to hate the AK. The magazine issue is the most difficult in my mind. I live in Kalifornia, so I have no experience with the new generation of Mags. I sold my Mini's due to that reason.

Regards,
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

how about an sks i vote for the ak personally
    "Always forwards, never backwards." Erich Honecker

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

no contest--AK!

the AKM was designed to be durable and reliable. to withstand the most difficult conditions imagined in a mechanized war spanning most of the globe.

from 50-f below zero to 120f in the jungle, in mud, the desert, in swamps

the soviet union wasn't 'playing " when they started cranking ak-47 and AKM out by the millions.

the mini on the other hand was built to fit a market demand. it about sales. what it looks like.

the AKM is a ugly device and it is all business too.

Feedback Score

From what I have learned, neither the Mini nor the AK are target guns. But, for protection, either should suffice. I like the Mini better, but, I think that the AK may stand up to heavy use longer. I do not know that from experience.
    I appreciate all of your comments.
    Bellson, you did give me some food for thought!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

CHEVY vs. FORD - DISCUSS

Yeah you can't realistically make an apples:apples comparison. Both have good, both have bad. Just choose your poison and understand the pros/cons of each.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

I like them both! I will keep them both! But, the Mini is lighter and, for me, more fun to shoot. But, I will admit that I like the AK, too! So, I guess that it would depend on the situation.

Feedback Score

I just visited your website. And, I just had to copy this line from it and paste it here. It is one of the best I have ever heard!

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Teddy Roosevelt-from hcpookie's home page.

Feedback Score

I don't know what is wrong, but, on occasion when I post something here it posts twicw. Is it me or the forum? I've seen it happen to a couple of others, too.
    Last edited by dario541; 04-19-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.