Thread: Salbo Question

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Salbo Question

So, my brother has an AK that he had refinished by Bobby a few years ago, and he'd now like to get some accessories refinished to match. Does anyone remember off the top of their head, which version of Gunkote black he was using as his standard "AK" black? Rifle in question is on the bottom in this pic:

http://www.boomsticksforever.com/
    Specializing in hand-built modular stocks.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Gun-Kote
    Original Black

This was a while back but what Bobby was using then. I had some heat issues, he was a fine gentleman and helped me straighten everything out. Miss him.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Yup, if he was still around, I'd likely have a bunch of work for him. He did both rifles pictured, including the Ironwood furniture on the upper one. That rifle is in the hands of a little old lady now. We built it for her because ammo for her .32 Winchester Special was getting a little expensive and hard to find in her locale. Thanks for the fast reply.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Heh...Heh.....Thanks Eldogg, He was crushed when he had to get rid of his cigar collection & humidor.

Wife made me get rid of mine too a few months back.
    I just love a good cigar , wish I would have got a chance to smoke one with Bobby...........
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I was getting strange colors, greys turning to greens, blacks of different shades. Bobby spent considerable time figgering out what I was doing wrong.

He was also the calm voice around here when things got hectic.

And I spent years with good cigars, but alas, it came down to more cigars or more years.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I was getting strange colors, greys turning to greens, blacks of different shades. Bobby spent considerable time figgering out what I was doing wrong.

He was also the calm voice around here when things got hectic.

And I spent years with good cigars, but alas, it came down to more cigars or more years.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

So, I sent the part I needed to refinish off to this guy, who I know from another forum. He first finished it in 2300 original black as I specified, which ended up being too glossy. Then I mentioned that I'd been told that was what he used as "AK black" but that I didn't know for sure. Turns out, AK Black is an actual Gunkote color, and he had some on hand. He re-finished again in the AK black, and when I received it back, it was a good match. I know that at some point I looked at KG's color chart and didn't see it, but he said that their color chart doesn't have all of their colors on it.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I have used their Matte black. Also Brownells has different colors than the KG website chart. I've used a lot of the gunmetal blue for years. Now the new cans are "pre - thinned" & the colors don't match the old taller cans that you add thinner to. In fact the new gunmetal blue really has no blueness to it. Pretty much matches my old can of matte black?
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.