Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My brother and the Moore, OK tornado

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default My brother and the Moore, OK tornado

My brother, his son, and their dog are all OK, but they lost their home. His house is only about 5 houses down the street from that school that has been in the news. My parents where I grew up is about 2 miles away and missed getting any damage. Needless to say we're all relieved that they are safe!

Volunteering… anything you can do will help, even a small contribution to the Red Cross. As I grew up literally down the street from this area I can personally attest to the significance of the damage, and I feel any contribution will be helpful. I’m volunteering for a remote assistance support program that will be helping people recover their networks that were affected by the storm.

My family is saying that cash donations and "cash" gift cards would be most helpful for the families in the area. Also gift cards from places like Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, etc. Since there's concern about donations making it to the right people, I discussed with my dad who has arranged with his church to distribute any funds and gift cards they receive. SO... if you wish to do that, here's the info:

Designate "Disaster Relief" on any correspondence!

Christian Life Fellowship
    1400 NW 12th St
    Moore, OK, 73170-1017
    405-793-8832

Since this is a church (non-profit), donations should be tax deductible. You may also be able to get your company to match the donations... I know my company matches up to a certain dollar amount.

A few points about my brother’s developing situation:

- Authorities allowed them to go back to their house just yesterday to begin salvage operations. Apparently they arrested some looters in the area during the search & rescue operations, so both Bro and Dad were chomping at the bit to get back there ASAP. Most of his “important” belongings appear to be salvageable so they are somewhat relieved. The deep freezer was broken but still closed, so everything in there was salvaged into a new deep freezer he had to buy. The fridge was buried in rubble and unreachable. Computers were in cabinets and weren’t water damaged. Monitors and keyboards are history.

- His insurance company (State Farm) is really helping out in an impressive way. They gave him a $5k check for petty cash and instructed him to keep his receipts for EVERYTHING so he can get reimbursed. He now has the daunting task of inventory to submit an “expense report” to the insurance company. I think he said they will reimburse for up to $80k for belongings in the house. Fortunately he is staying at Mom & Dad's house, so he isn't stuck trying to find a hotel while he is displaced.

- FEMA. He watched FEMA literally posing for pictures on top of rubble yesterday while local salvage operations were underway. The rubble had already been cleared of people. He overheard the FEMA guy telling the local police officer that walked over to figure out what they were doing that "this is all for show". I’m not sure what to say about that but they were shocked to see the “event”. I hope he misunderstood them but I doubt it. No word on how much FEMA did other than the "photo op". They are involved in the area so I wonder if this was just to pose for the obligatory picture.

- Important belongings. We weren’t sure his gun safe was waterproof. The gun safe was in the most secure part of the house and so was the least affected. Fortunately everything in the safe was unscathed… no moisture at all and no impact to his important papers or guns. He and my dad both have a Grizzly brand gun safe which has a better locking system than most. Might want to consider putting weather stripping around the safe door if it lacks a moisture barrier.

- Phones. Cell phones were completely inoperable after the storm. My mom was freaking out since my brother is real good at communications, and it took almost 8 hours for phone comms to be re-established. Phones are finally working once again although lines are sometimes busy. Makes me consider getting a Ham Radio license and investing in a handheld Ham so I have a backup communications plan. Not sure if this is worthwhile as we have a "we'll call when we can" policy.

- Bugging out. He "bugged out" which was the recommended advisory vs. hiding in the bathtub which is the typical recommendation. He returned right after the storm to find his house destroyed. Very quickly the authorities closed off the area, and didn't allow them back into the area until AFTER the Search and Rescue process was completed by FEMA and local First Responders. Just yesterday he was able to get back and salvage his perishables from the busted deep freezer. Had the authorities not let him in the meat would have started to thaw (the fridge was all busted up due to the structure falling on it). Moral of the story... consider bug-out to be semi-permanent depending on the situation...

- Looters. Amazingly, his cop buddy told him they had arrested about 20 looters rummaging the area during Search & Rescue efforts. Something to keep in mind if you have belongings that may or may not be portable during an "event"...

Pics – compare to the “before” pics for perspective – one notable thing to me having grown up there is the tree damage:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5B54F...7917265%212968

A final thought – I wanted to make the recommendation to ping your insurance company to walk through a “worst-case” scenario to ensure you understand what would need to happen if you ever had to face a similar scenario. Also be sure to check and double-check your emergency plans – including communications w/ family and loved ones. I’ll be glad to discuss emergency plans as disaster preparedness is somewhat of a hobby of mine.
    Last edited by hcpookie; 05-29-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

your brother is in our prayers, having survived Hurricane Sandy i know better than most what he and his neighbors are going through, hope he is not counting on FEMA they are unless, my neighbors up north are still rebuilding and fighting with FEMA, concert money has not been seen either at least in that neighborhood
    feel free to reachout if we can help, sometimes even the smallest things help
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

All affected are in our thoughts and prayers. Like Sprat said, reach out if need presents!
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Wow, I'm glad your brother is ok. Thoughts and prayers to all of the victims of that tornado. Definitely a worst case scenario.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

im glad that your brother n the people around him werent hurt ....

but the area is very much affected and hope that relief will come soon ...

what is that they need to most .... if i may ask .....

or an address to send items to help out with the relief ...

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Sorry to hear they lost the house, but glad to hear they are all ok
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

> Red Cross

Your money would be >90% as effective if you just set fire to it. The Red Cross has a particularly bad amount of "overhead."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thank God no one was hurt and sorry I didn't get in touch sooner. It looks like a possibility of it being a bad year, there's no or a weak El Nenio,,, or something like that,,,that causes more tornado's I gather. I saw it on some PBS show recently where they were talking about it.

My prayers go out to the family hcpookie and hope everything ends up OK, they all still have each other, but still it must be incredibly tough to loose a lifetime of memories.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I donated two pints of blood, just in case. Sent $$ to The Red Cross, and to the Methodist Charities. I know they are active in that AO, and I was not disappointed to see them on the news a few times. My prayers are with you and your family. I hope the stupid FEMA shitheads get stomped.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

that area is one of the hardest hit by twisters, we generally don't get them but about 1/2 that size.

if you have ever seen one of those 3/4ths wide ones--you never forget it--

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.