Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My newest AK

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Default My newest AK

Got this polish kit a while ago from Curtis over at ak-builder. It was a "A" kit, not a scratch on it. I had a couple left over polish flats and had some time one weekend.

Finish is Brownells flat black guncoat which I baked in the oven for 3 hours at 350. Seemed to come out nice.

Put it all together and it shot great nice little groupings. the only real issue I have with it its so nice I want to take all my other polish rifles apart and re-paint them to look just as new....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tommo likes this.
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile

Lookin good.. I love the smell of fresh baked AKs in the morning.. Now pray your wife does not come home and smell it, or your going to get an ass whupping..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

I was going to use a duracoat spray kit to finish mine but I am intrigued from 4ths comment.

Do you have a dedicated oven for the baking? And does it leave a toxic residue if I use our food oven? Or just a funky smell that will go away while my fiance is at work?

Turned out great, looks absolutely beautiful
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Did it in the home oven by cutting some metal coat hangers and moving the baking screen to its top level then hanging the receiver over the heating element by the cut up coat hangers. Leaves no smell because wife got home shortly after I was done and noticed I cooked something but she didn't indicate she smelled anything.....
    Because she didn;t get mad....LOL

Does not leave any smell that I can detect.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Nice job , thanks for the pics.

Feedback Score

Looks good! I built a Polish UF a while back, still haven't gotten around to putting a finish on it. I was waiting til I got my parkerizing set up set up. Maybe soon, working on that now.

You ARE lucky. My wife swears she can smell the damn paint for three days after I bake a gun in the oven. I go use one of my bud's oven now.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Gunco View Post
    Did it in the home oven by cutting some metal coat hangers and moving the baking screen to its top level then hanging the receiver over the heating element by the cut up coat hangers. Leaves no smell because wife got home shortly after I was done and noticed I cooked something but she didn't indicate she smelled anything.....
    Because she didn;t get mad....LOL

Does not leave any smell that I can detect.

I appreciate the advice. Maybe Ill plan it on a day she works a 12 just to be safe. She likes the AK, not sure she can appreciate it being in our oven.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Looks great! The Polish kits are the nicest AK's made. Bulgarians close.

Why 3 hours in the oven? I usually go one hour per instructions on the can. I baked my 1919 for 1 1/2 hours.
    Does 3 hours make it more durable? I was afraid baking longer might affect the finished look.( cloudy or such)
    Now I'm afraid I'm not baking long enough.

A $25.00 used oven is a great shop tool. You can even park small parts on the top burners. Or boil a tube steak while baking parts. I use mine for powdercoating & that DOES smell.Your supposed to wear a charcoal filter mask.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    Looks great! The Polish kits are the nicest AK's made. Bulgarians close.

Why 3 hours in the oven? I usually go one hour per instructions on the can. I baked my 1919 for 1 1/2 hours.
    Does 3 hours make it more durable? I was afraid baking longer might affect the finished look.( cloudy or such)
    Now I'm afraid I'm not baking long enough.

A $25.00 used oven is a great shop tool. You can even park small parts on the top burners. Or boil a tube steak while baking parts. I use mine for powdercoating & that DOES smell.Your supposed to wear a charcoal filter mask.
    The only reason I cook for 3 hours because that is what I have always done never thought about doing it less time! I think I ready somewhere also 3 is a good time not too long and enough to really bake it in.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Great looking rifle! Thanks for sharing, love me some gun pr0n.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.