Thread: enrgy and jobs

Feedback Score

Default enrgy and jobs

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Around here IBM in Essex Jct just laid off 420 something folks. In this area this is huge!!!! Looks like VT Yankee, the nuke power plant in Southern VT ,, is laying off 60 also, big for that area too, for both, that's 1/3 the work force and real high paying jobs besides. That will make some of the Dems here take a big ,,gulp,,, trying to figure how to explain this one.

The economy just keeps getting better all the time though,,,,,,,right????? Not from where I stand and from what people tell me,,,,,it don't.

Feedback Score

I live in a small town in S.W. Florida and an educated guess on TRUE unemployment would be 30-32%. There are sections of town where 1 out of every 3 or 4 house are abandoned and vacant.On the main drag coming in from the interstate, there are several strip centers that were being built when the bubble burst that are in various stages of unfinished.
    Before the bubble burst, my home was assessed (for taxes) at $235,000. Now it's assessed at $34,000. Know what that does to your credit score?
    If _Numba_One_Nigga_ helps us anymore, we're screwed.
    Hunter
    ThirdWorld citizens (and presidents) make a ThirdWorld country

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Damn sad to see whats happened to this country, it's sounding more like the depression era stories my Grand pa used to tell me. He was OK being road commissioner in my home town, but many weren't so lucky by the sounds. Tough times back then.

Getting that way again too by the looks. Lots of folks just gave up looking for full time work around here too, and just do side work now, especially the contractors. So who really knows what the unemployment rate is. Not much new construction here now but lots of redecorating and repairs happening, but mostly small stuff. The summer folks getting stuff done on there camps is what helps out around here. In winter , it's the ski areas and hunting and fishing that keeps the food on the table for many. Most jobs other than factory jobs are seasonal here. It's very hard to find a job you can depend on long term here.

Sure not like when we grew up,, for sure! Some of the places I've worked, I was there for years. Body shops 12-15 years, Forest Service 12+,19 counting seasonal,and the marina for over 27 before I got hurt and had to give up working altogether. I'd still be there otherwise.

I do worry for my son some sense he doesn't have a trade, but he has a job he recently got at a factory that's pretty stable and 2 of my daughters are nurses so there all set with there futures and my other daughter is a home maker with 5 kids,,,,no problem with job security there,,,,,poor girl!

Ya got to worry about this generation for sure, they just don't have the opportunities we had. It's going to be tough for them.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.