Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comparison of the VZ-58 and AK-47

Feedback Score

Default Comparison of the VZ-58 and AK-47

I thought this was pretty interesting. It's a photo comparision of the VZ-58 and AK-47. I never saw a VZ-58 before, just figured that they were more alike than they are. The only part that will exchange between the two is the ammo!

http://50ae.net/VZ-vs-AK/
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

In my heavily biased opinion (screen name) the vz58 is more accurate ( run of mill gun to run of the mill gun) smoother, lighter, faster to swing on and aquire target , has a bho, and is 11 better. (58-47=11)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Remember the old saying,,,,"night &day" that's it in a nut shell. IMHO the VZ has a the AK platform beat by a country mile on almost every point. Hands down a far superior gun in every respect.

Not mentioned in the above posts,,,in "as issued" dress, there more accurate, less moving parts, smother triggers ( even though they have a slightly longer reset),overall much stronger , actually has a safety you can manipulate when it's shouldered without shifting hold to do it and way more ergonomic overall to use,and lastly there is no possible way to jam that gun,, the complete top is open when it ejects with nowhere for a squib round to get caught up in.

I've said all this in threads many,, many times before. I own 2 and there going be with me till Hell freezes over, I'll never let either one go. For you that have never handled one or never seen one in person to fondle,, you'd be amazed at the differences just by handling one,,,shooting it,,,even better. No target gun,, but consistent 1 1/2 groups ,,no problem.

For anyone that has never handled one,,, make a concerted effort to do so, I think you'll have a new favorite firearm in that class of weapons. There SWEAT!!!! Honest!!

OH YA,, there made by CZ too,,,,has anyone here ever had any CZ mfg. gun they don't love??? Not Me !!! If so it must be a wore out, beat piece. I can't think a single soul I know that doesn't love there CZ's,,,not one,,,,ever !!!!

Bet ya can't tell how I feel about the VZ58!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for the link! I thnk the AK is more reliable though because of its turning bolt design.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

How so?
    The lock up on the VZ's is very similar to many other European fire arms designs which is tried and true sense the late 1800's early 1900's and is very simple and very strong and only 1 part to wear out. Hell the first VZ I had I literally put tens of thousands of rounds through it till there was absolutely no rifling left at all and I never had a single failure of any kind, ever and at the end it never got cleaned either. It was so bad you could almost detect a egg shape at the end of the barrel it was so shot out. Never missed a beat.

The only thing about them that throws some people is,, the relatively long trigger reset.

You seem pretty experienced with them,, VZ58,,, do you know if that can be shortened up some??? The only thing I've done to both mine is polish the trigger some. There pretty tough to bump fire ,,I'll tell ya that, at least harder than my Egyptian AK with the G2 trigger group in it.

Not that I really do it all that much,,,but it sure is fun sometimes!!!! HE! HE! HE! WELL HELL,, ya got to cut loose sometimes,,, right?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I like the VZ-58 a lot.. I've built 4 of them, sold one to a buddy because he needed one.. and he absolutely loves it.. he says it is dead nuts accurate.. but he HAS broken a few parts on it as he shoots it a lot.... he managed to break the bolt locking piece and a trigger unit.. the bolt lock was cheap and easy to replace.. the trigger was fixed by welding it up.. the US triggers and sears are not very good in my opinion.. that being said, I think the AK has a better fire control system.. in general as Mr. M.K copied it from Mr JM browning.. along with the AK safety lever form a model 8 I believe from Mr Browning also... I think the AK's rotating bolt is also a better design as well.. being that it has two massive lugs and is much stronger, broken bolts in AK's are very rare.. The AK magazine is also better in my opinion ..being made of steel ,not aluminum.. but I think the barrels on the VZ-58 is better...than most AK barrels.. more accurate.. from what I've seen.. I like the striker fired system of the VZ-58 because it hammers the primers which is a good thing..I don't like the VZ-58's folding stock or the smallish pistol grip... but all that can be fixed.. both are great guns.. I say get them both.. B2B
    Last edited by Bolt2bounce; 08-09-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

54-47 indeed!

I've also heard from others that the VZ factory barrels are more accurate than AK barrels. Perhaps due to 15" vs. 16"? Not a lot of info about "sweet spot" lengths on 7.62 barrels. Lots more of .223 barrel tweaking and 18" is starting to look like a good all-around barrel for that caliber. Perhaps the Czechs got it right with 15"...

Honestly don't think reliability is a concern here. The falling block design is similar in concept to a FAL bolt. I want to say it was used in Mauser pistols was it not? Too early...

The only thing I could say AGAINST a VZ is the fact that given the right conditions you can have a failure to reset the striker during rapid fire conditions. I read about it on the CanadianGunNutz forum once and did see where that has been reported on a few rare occasions. Never experienced it myself however so I must not be doing it right

Another nice thing is that there are several sources for aftermarket parts to enhance it. I personally find the stock comfortable and the lock mechanism very useful. So even if the factory stuff doesn't work there are plenty of 2nd- and 3rd- party components that - if pics on the web are to be believed - in use in some fashion in real service units.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

1biggun, I tried one of the aftermarket triggers (different than the one installed at rebuild) also and had issue's with it too. I shot several class 3 ones and there's no issue with the stock parts doing that. I'm thinking the after market ones are just to soft. The folders defiantly need some tinkering to get them comfy like I did on mine that I put up some pic's of of awhile ago.

Many of the European guns use the falling block design,your right hcpookie, Mauser 's also, way back to the early Broom handles from the 1800's, p-38/P-1's, Fal's and a bunch of others I can't remember right off. That's the long reset I was speaking about,,,that really really could use some reworking, that's the only flaw I've found with the VZ platform,,but those are the aftermarket triggers and sears in the semi's,, I've never run into that issue with my buds class 3 one with all the original parts, much shorter reset on those.

I love both mine, one a tricked out folder and one as issued, in the semi version that is, sorta as issued,,, we'll just say, in fixed stock configuration. Sense it's not a class 3, not that I wouldn't like one of those too,,,,,but,,,to many $$$$$$ involved with those!!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Turning bolt designs (two large lugs not the multi-lug like the AR) have seen extensive use in combat as in M1, M14 and AK and all have proven very reliable in adverse conditions from deserts to the arctic. Also, I have fired various tiltng bolt, locking flap and roller designs and they were not as reliable. Everyone to their own poison.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The rotating bolt is definitely a stronger set up.

Each one defiantly have there strong and weak points but I can pretty well bet we can all agree there

BOTH DAMN GOOD GUNS!! And I'm sure we'll see both basic designs around for many more years to come.

I ,,,STILL,,,, like VZ's better,,,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.