Thread: Desks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Desks

Every school district needs at least one teacher like this. Maybe there wouldn't be so much of an entitlement attitude going around with today's generation of kids.

Back in September of 2005, on the first day of school,
    Martha Cothren, a Military History teacher at Robinson High School in Little Rock , did something not to be forgotten.

On the first day of school, with the permission of the school superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she removed all of the desks in her classroom. When the first period kids entered the room they discovered that there were no desks.

'Ms. Cothren, where are our desks?'  She replied, 'You can't have a desk until you tell me how you earn the right to sit at a desk.'

They thought, 'Well, maybe it's our grades.'

'No,' she said.

'Maybe it's our behavior.'

She told them, 'No, it's not even your behavior.

And so, they came and went, the first period, second period, third period. Still no desks in the classroom. Kids called their parents to tell them what was happening and by early afternoon television news crews had started gathering at the school to report about this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of her room.

The final period of the day came and as the puzzled students found seats on the floor of the desk-less classroom, Martha Cothren said, 'Throughout the day no one has been able to tell me just what he or she has done to earn the right to sit at the desks that are ordinarily found in this classroom. Now I am going to tell you.'

At this point, Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened it. Twenty-seven (27) U.S. Veterans, all in uniform, walked into that classroom, each one carrying a school desk. The Vets began placing the school desks in rows, and then they would walk over and stand alongside the wall. By the time the last soldier had set the final desk in place those kids started to understand, perhaps for the first time in their lives, just how the right to sit at those desks had been earned.

Martha said, 'You didn't earn the right to sit at these desks. These heroes did it for you. They placed the desks here for you. They went halfway around the world, giving up their education and interrupting their careers and families so you could have the freedom you have. Now, it's up to you to sit in them. It is your responsibility to learn, to be good students, to be good citizens. They paid the price so that you could have the freedom to get an education. Don't ever forget it.'

By the way, this is a true story. And this teacher was awarded Veterans of Foreign Wars Teacher of the Year for the State of Arkansas in 2006. She is the daughter of a WWII POW.

Please consider passing this along so others won't forget either that the freedoms we have in this great country were earned by U. S. Veterans. Always remember them and the rights they have won for us.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

A great life lesson to be sure,,,but with the state of the education system being what it is,and some of the POS lib teachers out there,,,,,,,

I'd be damn near willing to bet that teacher is no longer there.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hmmmm AN THE STORY IS EVEN TRUE .

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/nodesks.asp

NO SURE WHY THIRD GRADERS ARE CALLING HOME OR HAVNG CELL PHINES IN 2005 BUT THE STORY SEEMS TO BE TRUE .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Note: The Ads that appear
    on this page are under the
    control of Google Ads,
    not TruthOrFiction.com,
    which is a non-partisan site.

The High School Teacher who had U.S. Veterans Carry Desks Into a Classroom-Truth!

Summary of the eRumor:
    The story of a social studies teacher named Martha Cothren of Little Rock's Robinson High School. Her students showed up on the first day of school to discover there were no desks in the room and that they would have to guess how to earn them. The students suggested ways such as getting good grades or having good behavior. Eventually the teacher opened the door to the classroom and 27 U.S. veterans came into the room, each carrying a desk and each in full uniform. The teacher told the students that they did not earn the desks but that veterans like these had done it for them. It was the students' responsibility, she said, to learn to be good students and good citizens.

The Truth:
    The story is true.

The text of the eRumor is taken from a speech given by former Arkansas governor and potential presidential candidate Mike Huckabee at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, D.C. on March 2, 2007. It describes events in Cothren's Military History class in 2005.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars chose Cothren as a Teacher of the Year in Arkansas for 2005-2006.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

We didn't EARN the desks. We were SENTENCED to them.

And, for that matter, having gone to school in Arkansas in the 1960s and 1970s, there were usually 30 desks per room, with 40 to 60 priso^H^H^H^Hstudents, so someone always had to sit on the floor. Meanwhile, there always seemed to be money to build a separate gym for the feetball team, etc.

Even in the 1970s, they were in the process of giving up any pretense of "education"; it was very apparent the only purpose of public school was to keep kids off the street until they were old enough to be sentenced as adults.
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Interesting story. We never had a military history class when I was in school.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Me neither,, just Civil Defense course's in,, dinosaur identification!!!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.