Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory Issues Safety Recall on XD(s) Pistols

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Springfield Armory Issues Safety Recall on XD(s) Pistols

Springfield Armory Issues Safety Recall on XD(s) Pistols

Springfield Armory has issued a limited recall on a run of their extremely popular XD-S concealed-carry pistols. The recall is for both 9mm and .45 ACP models of handguns.

This is a voluntary safety recall for a very rare problem that causes the gun to fire when chambering a round and may also cause pistols to double-fire. This is only for the new single-stack XD-S pistols, not the subcompact, compact, full-size or competition XD-M pistols.

Springfield is asking all users to verify if their XD-S pistol fall within the serial number range of potentially-affected handguns.

“We want to emphasize that no injuries have been reported to date,” explains Springfield on the recall information page. (The page is down at the time of writing, likely due to a traffic overload. That said, the page to get a shipping label is working fine.)

According to the press release, this safety recall applies only to:
    •Springfield 3.3 XD-S 9mm pistols – serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
    •Springfield 3.3 XD-S .45ACP pistols – serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300

If you cannot get access to Springfield’s recall website, call them at 800-680-6866 to arrange your safety upgrade.

This news just days after Smith & Wesson issued a safety notice to all M&P Shield pistols, which are similar single-stack concealed-carry pistols.

The Springfield XD-S is a redesigned version of the successful XD-M and XD series of service pistols. The XD-S pistols have been widely praised for their quality build, fit and finish, as well as for their “shootability.” Although they are small and light handguns, they’re easy to handle and shoot quickly and have solid, visible sights.

The guns’ all-around appeal mean that they’ve been flying off shelves, and there are many in circulation even though they have only recently been introduced.

If you one of these potentially-dangerous handguns, whether it’s a Springfield or a Smith & Wesson, please check to see if your gun is affected. And if you know anyone with an XD-S or M&P Shield, make sure they know that these guns are under safety alerts.

Although it’s not uncommon for gun companies to feel the pains of recall, it’s surprising that two of the most popular new guns for concealed-carry are having serious issues. This is a rough week for many people who carry guns on a regular basis.

http://www.guns.com/2013/08/28/break...l-xds-pistols/

Black Blade: I was eyeing the XDS .45 - good thing I waited.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

It's a painless process. With no cost to the gun owner.

I have one of these and to this point have experienced absolutely no problems of any kind. It is one of my favorite psitols, with, for me anyways, easily managed recoil and very good accuracy.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

It kinda makes me wonder if S&W have had any reports other than mine on the Bodyguard issue I had??

Did you and the wife go to that place that rented guns to try out the sub compact auto's Fyredup?? I hadn't heard you say anything about one for her yet and was wondering if you found something acceptable to here yet? I'm still liking the bodyguard 380 pretty well,,, even with that OPPS!!! But that was honestly a combination of a design issue and my screwed up hand being the cause for that one. Can't completely blame that on S&W.

One other gun I'd thought of later for you guys that might be a good candidate for her would be one of the Bersa 380's, there a PPK clone basically, light , reasonably priced, reliable and they shoot straight. I don't have one, but have shot one several times and there pretty decent. Especially if you polish up stuff like I did on my other 2 Bersa's,( Sig clones) I smoothed both of those up real nice with very little work!!! It could be a contender for her, there not bad at all. Possibly slightly heaver than she'd want though,,,don't know? There only 20 oz's ,, so not to bad at all.

Kind of a shame there's been issues with the Springfield's and S&W's ,,lots of my buds have those and love them too. Not surprising though the way they've all been pushing stuff out the door lately to meet all the demand. They must have built a bazillion of both of those by now. At least that's 2 that you'll find pretty regularly on the shelves most every where,, while others that are normally there,, are conspicuously absent. So they must have built a pile of both of them.

Feedback Score

twa2471,

Nope, haven't gotten there yet to test run anything. Remember she is a woman and finishing a couple of remodeling projects around the house are more important to her right now.

Funny thing is I waited on the XDs because I had heard some of the first ones out had issues. I guess I didn't wait quite long enough. Oh well. Right now if I want to carry it would be open carry anyways since I haven't got my concealed carry permit yet. So no big deal to strap on the 1911A1!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

OH NO redecorating!!! That is always time consuming and quite expensive from my experiences. Especially when a woman is involved. When my last wife and I were still together I had to paint the house 3 times in one year,,just to get just the right color combo to suit her,,,never did please her,,,,

No biggie for a guy,,a few deer heads, fish mounts and guns on the wall,,,simple,,,,then Life is all good,,

Oh,,, did I forget the "real tree cammo" curtains???? Oh Yea!!! A mans idea of decorating!!

Feedback Score

I was never too into the XD's. I am a fan of the polymer pistols I own several Glocks and the S&W M&P9 in full size. I love all of them to death. I have been dabbling with the idea of an XD. I just hope they pull all the malfunctioning ones before I decide to make the big plunge. Either way I hope this doesn't effect anybody's decision on the XD. I have shot a few that I like.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

What is all this gibberish?

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score

Abukai, REAL MEN DON'T SHOOT PLASTIC GUNS. :-)
    I'm a DOM and the only plastic I have is AR platforms. My carry is a StarPD and I have several 1911s and a few HiPower types. My pillow gun is a trimmed-down Remington 16ga pump.
    I have shot many poly guns and don't like the feel of the recoil or they way they feel in my hands. I'm not recoil-sensitive. I shoot a M-29 3in Mountain Gun regularly. These other guns just recoil 'differently'.
    Guess it's just an 'age thing'.
    Hunter

Feedback Score

I'm a young guy it isn't my fault. I understand though if it's what you have been running for a long time, me and my dad have this argument all the time he thinks anything that isnt a 1911 is a jam-o-matic and. 45 is the only caliber that when it strikes someone they will evaporate before your eyes

I just like them my tupperware guns. I also own several J-Frames, K-Frames, an AK, a 91/30, and an 870 if it makes you feel better
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score

Yes, Mister. I feel MUCH more comfortable now.
    Hunter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.