Thread: How To Beat Coming Killer Food Shortages

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default How To Beat Coming Killer Food Shortages

How To Beat Coming Killer Food Shortages

alt-market.com / By Holly Deyo / 25 February 2014 10:01

This article was written by Holly Deyo and originally published at Standeyo.com

Only a small space is required to grow most fruits and veggies for a family. So Stan and I will scamper over to our local garden center this week and for additional organic compost to augment our Super Soil and get those growies growing! By the end of Summer our own compost piles should be ready to sustain the gardens hereafter. It just takes a little while to get there.

Sunday, we planned out this year’s garden – including more than usual. Definitely making time for canning this year. Had the equipment, not the time. Since warmth – and dry (drat!) – are coming early this year to the West, Southwest and Southeast, it’s important to get our garden ready in February and seedlings sprouted and sunk in the ground by late March instead of late April – a full month ahead of normal. The most time-consuming aspect will getting the Super Soil pre-warmed as described in Garden Gold, which will only require a couple hours, so plants get a head start and beat this Summer’s killing heat.

These NOAA maps show the probability of temperatures exceeding the norm, so roughly 1/3 of the Country can get their veggies and fruits in early. Unfortunately, as 2014 progresses, a bunch of us will be sweating bullets living in tank tops and shorts.

READ MORE

Black Blade: Used to garden myself and lived off my gardens when in college and off and on over the years. Now I am not around enough to take care of a garden but I keep some hierloom seeds (vacuum-packed cans) for when I do have the time. Need some fencing as well - damn deer and pronghorn will eat everything if I don't.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

Raccoons are getting as bold as deer up here. Never seen a raccoon as big as I have in the past year. Or as many deer.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.