Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Installing bolt rails on a flat.

Feedback Score

Default Installing bolt rails on a flat.

So, I'm building my first AK from scratch. This will be an adventure. I've learned that all templates are not created equal. I've found that the .DXF template seems to be the closest one to correct. Unless you guys can suggest something better.... And that brings me to this question. Before I go wasting this sheet of steel and a set of rails. All the info I've read says to spot weld the guide rails on to the receiver. I do not have access to a spot welder. I do have a MIG welder. Can I MIG weld these rails on to the receiver? If I can, what is the best way? Any links to videos or pictures would be awesome! Thanks for any help!!

Feedback Score

you can plug weld rails with the MIG. Hopefully your MIG will let you turn the wire feed and power levels way down, because it can be way too easy to blow through sheet metal. I'd recommend backing your welds with a flat faced piece of copper (or aluminum if you don't have copper), this will act as a heat sink and help prevent you from blowing through. Fix your rails in place with clamps mark the receiver. Drill some small holes in your receiver from the outside that line up with where your rails will be. Probably about 5 evenly spaced 3/16" or 5/32" holes will work. Then put your rails back in and clamp, back the area with copper and make a quick tack weld. You may want to further clamp/brace the receiver as your welds can cause the whole receiver to warp. Don't blow through or overdo the heat and your cleanup should be fairly straightforward. Good luck.

Feedback Score

Thanks!! That sounds like the perfect solution. I have a hf flux core welder. It's only 110v so with the power way down, I don't think I'll blow through it. I'll definitely practice a bit on some scrap before I go for the final product. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to bang anything up internally this way. One more question at this point. I am going to rivet this thing together. But, I'm thinking instead of riveting the center support in, can I just weld a solid piece of 1/4" round steel into the receiver?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Exactly what was posted. Drill through the flat and plug weld. Test your welder on some scrap the same thickness as the rail first. Start in the middle of the hole in the flat and with circles, work you way out to the flat. Do it quick to keep the heat down.
    Pryotex is TEC Tactical, A Licensed 07/SOT

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Flux core welders are less than ideal honestly,, do they work,, yes but not anywhere as good as a normal gas shielded one.

It's kinda like using a stick welder for spot welds, ya, you'll get a weld, but it will have the possibility of being full of air holes because the flux melts before the metal will and doesn't give you a clean strong weld, there's just not enough time for the metal to flow out properly and push the flux out of the way before it blows through. Plus the flux is an acid and won't always take a finish well especially if bluing or parking.

I've seen several hot rods that have had panels spot welded on with the flux core welders and within a few months the paint or body filler is flaking off because all the flux didn't come out of the molten steel and cause's issues later.

I'd defiantly suggest using a gas shielded one if you do use a mig.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

That's what I did on mine. I sandblasted and parked mine before finishing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yup ,and that's why flux core welders aren't approved for any welds that need to be certified. There just not as strong enough unless your working on thicker metal where you can get good even heat transfer between panels

There just not so great for sheet metal applications.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Welcome to the forum

Have you ventured into the library yet? You'd be hard pressed to come up with a question that you will not find the answer to in there. Required reading for those just getting into building.

AK-47 Library

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Can I MIG weld these rails on to the receiver? If I can, what is the best way?
    AS above drill some 3/16 or slightly larger holes in the receiver deburr the holes. clamp in the rail tight an start in the middle get penitration an then weld in a fast circle untill you have a slight dome. sand the welds down with a flap disk on a 4.5" grinder . keep the wheel flat so you dont dig in . Do the sanding before you install the center support or trunions so you can get the disk flat. done right the welds will be invisable.

I dont use heat sinks or any thing. If you cant do a plug weld on a .035 receiver to a .060 rail then dont have a welder or practice untill you can . Its as simple as pulling the trigger hesitaing a split second an doing a circle to catch the recvier in the weld. The receiver hole edges will blow through before the rails.

I temper the entire rails before welding them . some guys just do the tip of of the ejecter. if you do do the entire rail first make sure there straight first.

some 1" C CLAMPS( about $2 from HF) with some 1/4" key stock welded to the non screw side will greatly aid in clamping rails in. I use two.

Do one hole an then allow to cool before going to the next one .

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

many moons ago before the internet. a few fellows welded the trunnion to receivers, they bent on their own on a metal brake's the term is roll your own,

bending pre-made flats is that, bending someones pre-made flats. no talent there

oh yah welcome to the site go to new member introduction
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.