Thread: Parkerizing, Cerakote, Hot blueing, how thick?

Feedback Score

Default Parkerizing, Cerakote, Hot blueing, how thick?

Does anyone have info about the thickness of added layers of these finish? I'm planning to have my barrel coated first before populating and the RSB area is already is already .01mm over measuring from the old stub. I understand press fit is .002" difference. Found out black oxide is about .00003" which is ideal but more interested in black parkerize.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

blueing will not add anything IMO

any spray on finish should be removed were the trunion hits.

Id shoot for a .001" interference fit . IMO .002 "is a bit to tight. (yea I know what the internet says stc) I also know what industrial standards are for hardened an un hardened parts under 1" dia an you wont find .002 on any steel 1"or under bore even on unhardened parts . I shoot for.0075" on my personal builds measured with mics not calipers . If I hit .0015 I stop an polish an install.

I would not finish the barrel first an then populate it as your going to scratch it were the parts press on. also metal to metal is how pressed parts should be fitted . If You park it you might find a reduction in size from reports I have heard.

If you can mic out a .00003"change your a better man than I am thats less than heat will affect the part or the tool measuring .

MY best advice is if your doing a spray finish do it after all the barrel parts are on an pinned . then the pinheads an press marks wont show.
    Most factory AKs are white under there parts BTW.

I definitely would not add a spray finish between the trunion an recvier or the barrel an trunion it serves no purpose an will scrape off any way. metal to
    metal fits dissipate heat better.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

+1,,every gun I've ever built has been finished after complete assembly and test firing,,period, no exceptions.

Painted finish,,forgetabouit,,,it's junk that just doesn't look right or hold up well. Ya, Ya,,quick easy and cheap,,but,,,,I've got guns I did up 30-40 years ago that were blued or parked,,and they still look new after thousands of rounds, try that with a painted on finish, 2 step, baked on or what ever,,it just won't beat the proper way,, no matter what anyone says.

But I'm just "old school",,,, that way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Raw Park is the perfect base for any painted finish though. Park also adds a bit of surface hardness and a grit that helps shrink fits grip.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I just leave them black parked or bead blasted and blued on military and hunting guns or a nice polished blue,, depending on the type of gun . I have painted one gun in the past I guess, a sweet shooting but very crusty Swede Mauser hunting gun. A satin 2 Part marine epoxy if I remember right , worked OK for a gun that was only shot occasionally.

Seen lots of AK's that get shot allot and the paint hasn't held up to what I'd call,,, very good.

Feedback Score

I've got a stainless unpopulated barrel, I've ordered this Stainless Steel Blackener - 1 Pint - Caswell Inc, I'll let you know how it workes out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Is it just me or is $40.00 for a 4 oz can of "shake and Bake" a little out of line?, maybe i am just getting cheap as i get old

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Hell no,,not one bit hk22045, I think it's ridiculous too.

I've mostly worked in body shops and marina's and have had access to catilized paints, and that's what I swear by,that old Mauser's held up very well through years of hunting with no real wear.I doesn't get shot a billion times in a row, so I don't know how it would hold up on a gun you'd be bump firing all the time that gets red hot? But I've had it,, hot enough,, a few times with no negatives with the paint.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I paint my stocks camo when they look stupid like my Rossi single shot break opens (ugly plastic furniture) and thinking about my savage 110varmint in 7.62/308.but I ain't no sniper just a shooter. But that Rossi stock is just ugly and I had to do something! Duct tape would have looked better but for 99.95 in 22lr and 20gauge well worth a couple bucks of paint.fun too! Felt like a commando.woo hoo!LOOsening up on those tin cans.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.