Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is it worth building an AK47?

Feedback Score

Default Is it worth building an AK47?

I am new to AK47's. I have build many custom AR15's. When is it unreasonable to build an AK47 other than pride or no serial number? I have been searching the various web sites and the kit prices are a little ridiculous or am I misinformed.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

gee i don't know , i bought or built from kits back when they were cheap like $260+ for a rifle and $70-$100 for a kit .

the only AKs i would pay big $$$$ for are the old milled steel ones but that just me and i am spoiled to the AKMs being a $50 cold war surplus item --those are long gone and will never return.

today i think you would be better off to just buy an AK if that is what you want , there are still a few around for semi-reasonable money i think --but the low surplus prices of yesterday are long gone.

if i was going to spend a lot of money on a rifle i might get a sig carbine or a travor bullpup or other exotic IF big money is involved --otherwise i just build more ar-15s while the ar-15 parts guns glut is still around-- today is a good time to build AR-15 and an expensive time to build AKs

and as far as that non numbered lower being some kind of protection from the BATF/government knowing what you got --that is pipe dream. some web crawler is probably reporting the entire transaction. and the feds seem very interested in all the unfinished ak/ar sellers.

i figure your more likely to end up in some kind of BATF shit list if you buy a lot of 80% cause the BATF is going search /wiretap/hack all the 80% makers for the purchase orders. hell their all ready doing it--

i'm pretty sure you can still get a good deal on a AK as people bought them during the panic of last couple years now money is tight and cash still does talk--
    Tremors likes this.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Your right. I look on the net and see venders with AKMs listed at $499 this week. The last kit I bought was in 2009 I think. I paid $200 for a AMD-65 kit with the cut up barrel and ordered a Romy pulled barrel to come with it from COPES here in Ohio. The Romy sidefolder kit I bought in 2008 cost me $159 for the kit with original barrel, and the NodacSpud receiver cost me about $100 to pickup from my local gun shop. With the 15 rivet kits I ordered (about $36 shipped to my house on a group buy) it cost me about $300 to build it in 2008.
    Tremors likes this.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

In today's market you build an AK if you want something custom that no one makes in a production version (like a 9mm) or you do it just for the enjoyment of doing stuff with your hands. It's no longer cheaper to build vs buy.
    Tremors likes this.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

That's what I kinda figured. Thanks for your help.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tremors View Post
    That's what I kinda figured. Thanks for your help.
    No problem. By the way, welcome aboard.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Yeah welcome to the forum.

As others have said already, right now really isn't a good time to buy a kit unless you get lucky and find a good deal from a private seller, if you want one you might want to watch for a complete rifle at a price your happy with.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Unless you can find a friend with the required tools and tooling, it's really not cost effective anymore.
    Many of us could buy a rifle or two with what we've spent in gear to build them.
    Certified AR-15/M-16 Armorer / SIG Pistol Armorer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

It would cost me, already having all the tools needed, $500+ to do one with a bent blank. As much as I love building them I cant see doing it anymore unless its to do a one off, different caliber or something special. I'm not trying to discourage you, it is one of the most satisfying and enjoyable things I have ever done, and that's worth a lot.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    In today's market you build an AK if you want something custom that no one makes in a production version (like a 9mm) or you do it just for the enjoyment of doing stuff with your hands. It's no longer cheaper to build vs buy.
    YEP.

unless you have stuff put up from long ago when we got it cheap.. a "regular" AK build is just about being able to do it... no financial benefit. just the love of doing it.

like 2nd said: if your doing a special build? a super shorty? or custom caliber? sure you can build it cheaper.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.