Thread: 105 to be laid of at Remington in NY

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default 105 to be laid of at Remington in NY

105 to be laid off at Remington Arms in Ilion, N.Y. | syracuse.com

NY Safe Act
    105 to be laid off at Remington Arms in Ilion, N.Y.

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- One hundred and five people will be laid off at Remington Arms in Ilion, Sen. James Seward's office confirmed this afternoon.

The layoffs are part of the gun maker's plans to move two assembly lines to Alabama, which was announced in May, Seward's office said.

In May, the president of United Mine Workers Local 717 said about 80 people would be laid off with no guarantees of jobs at the new plant. Fran Madore said at the time that the passage of the NY Safe Act played into the decision.

WKTV reported the news this afternoon.

Here's some information from my story from May. Please check back for updates.

Starting in July, Remington will begin shifting assembly lines of its Bushmaster semi-automatic rifle and 1911 pistol to Alabama, eventually moving from 100 to 150 jobs. The plant currently has about 1,300 workers.

The move is part of a larger reorganization by Remington as it plans to open a new massive factory in Alabama, the website The Outdoor Wire reported. This week, Remington workers at six locations, including Ilion, were notified of the changes, the website reported.
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yep all the name brands are moving South where gun laws aren't stupid.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Sooooo,, do you think NY is starting to get it yet, with all these high paying jobs going South???? I doubt it myself,,,,

that's what,,,3-4 major manufactures, or more, that have moved out of state so far? I know several of my buds in NY aren't very happy with all this gun legislation. Some of them have even moved out of state too.

Feedback Score

It sounds like the problem with NY State is the same problem with Illinois; it’s the influence from one major city in the state.

Several years ago in Illinois when Rod Blagojevich first became governor a bill was introduced in the Illinois Senate it was SB1195; the bill was a total gun ban confiscation bill for semi-auto firearms.

The clowns in Chicago didn’t care if communities lost jobs or not. One member of the general assembly actually said that it was worth losing a few jobs lost, it if we save lives.

What was quickly discovered is the fact that for every job lost another 3 jobs in Illinois would be affected.

It was learned that slightly less than 500 businesses in Illinois provided goods or services to the firearms industry in the state. The loss of firearms manufacturing jobs was going to cause big waves across the state

Finally a couple of state representatives realized the bill was going to cost people in their district jobs so the bill was stopped.

If NY City is like Chicago the power brokers don’t care about jobs in the firearms industry. Even the governor of NY said earlier this year if you believe in Guns, the family and are pro-life you need to leave the state.

In my opinion the problem is low information voters and the influence of the hard core Marxist that now seem to be in control in some area’s of the country.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Ya I think you may be spot on with your observations Brokengun . I left NY in 76 and never looked back after being turned down for a pistol permit in the,, way upstate area, near the Plattsburg. I was born and raised in Vt and had handguns all my life and even with some good LEO connections, I still couldn't get one. It was the "not justifiable enough reason to qualify" that shot that down. Ridiculous,,,

No Problem,, I just ended up moving back to VT and took my family, business, and hunting and fishing licenses and what ever other money I would have spent on sporting purposes, my house, tax's, and business expenses right along with me. Plus I sold the house I was living in which ended up being foreclosed on by the town for back tax's from the new owners, 6-8 years later. It still belongs to the town and the house is now a pile of rubble with no income to the town from it.

I also canceled a purchase of a 100 acre piece of property for a hunting camp I'd considered just a couple years ago which a half dozen of my friends and I had jointly leased for several years and were going to build a major size camp jointly on. Counting all the members of those families and my family,, at least 20-25 of us,,none of us now ,,,,hunt , fish, or do any business of any kind there, and many of these folks had campers there as well and we all rode 4 wheelers and snowmobiles there also year round. So we took quite a bit of income out of the local economy when we left that area, when you add up the loss from us all leaving.

No problem, I and several of us in that group have thrown that in the face of some of the representatives from NY by contacting them personally and complaining about the ridiculous laws being passed and telling them why we left. I'm sure between just those of us in our group alone we took many many thousands of dollars away from that counties coffers as well as hurting the local businesses in the area like camp grounds, restaurants, hardware stores, grocery stores and whom ever else we helped support by being there. Last time I was travailing through there I noticed 2-3 places that had been there forever are now all boarded up and vacant as well as many houses. That area was highly dependent on vacationers, hunters, snowmobile's, 4 wheeler folks and sportsmen of all flavors. And now half the places in town are empty,, it's looking like a ghost town the last time I was through there 5-6 months ago. And when I stopped to say high to a local store owner I'd known for many years, he told us that he was about ready to leave too sense the area had totally fallen apart.

That may be part of the reason that NY is trying so hard to give so many tax breaks and perks to businessmen to move into the area,, they've legislated and taxed that area into a ghost town almost, and there's barley enough people left around now to keep the towns tax base above water financially !!!! Hell that town even closed there fire and road departments now and the county maintains the roads and covers fire protection. Making even more people move away.

Not My problem,,,it's New York's,,,,,maybe they'll get it sooner or later,,,,

Feedback Score

That's the problem with politically motivated, feel good, dumb ass legislation. Those wanting in this case gun laws, never think about the ancillary businesses that are supported by those manufacturers. Companies that supply things like raw materials, steel,wood, brass, and hardware. Things like the diner across the street from the factory, motels where out of state clients stay, restaurants, bars, clubs, theaters, where those clients are entertained, grocery stores and other retailers where the workers shop, are all affected by the loss of those businesses.

The example of the recreational area decimated by this foolish decisions should clearly wake people up...but it never does.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

they don't care and they will not miss the firearms industry or the folks who leave this was the intent, the sad part is the rest of the folks will suffer and decide to the south and then start their BS here
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprat View Post
    they don't care and they will not miss the firearms industry or the folks who leave this was the intent, the sad part is the rest of the folks will suffer and decide to the south and then start their BS here
    That's what worries me. You get some of the folks from other Liberal locales moving to the South, and then wanting to "fundamentally change" it into what they left!! Hell immigrants do the same thing when they move to America.

As the saying goes: "Say what you will about the South, but nobody retires and moves up North". Amen Brother!!!

There's only three things a Southern man is afraid of:

A Black guy with a knife, a Mexican with a gun, and a Yankee with a U-haul!! (Obviously if you're a firearm owner the first two don't actually scare you. LOL)
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.